Syracuse Football | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Football

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
I will not tear down the players. They’ve worked hard and play hard. And I really do believe we’re talented.

Our defense is legitimate. Those boys can hang with just about anybody and fly all over the place.

And, as excited as I was for today, I’m almost apathetic to the loss. And that’s probably an indictment of where we’re at as a program. Because I’ve been one of the most positive and rabid supporters of Syracuse Football ever since I was really able to.

People are debating whether or not we were a disciplined team today. I think our players play very hard within the rules, but mistakes cost us that shouldn’t have.

Fumbling inside the 10, illegal formation(s), unsportsmanlike on our HC (which whether you agree with it or not was unacceptable in that situation). And some of the decision making was baffling from a substitution and play calling standpoint. (TD hitting stride and then running twice in long situations when we’re marching / putting in GS for his first real reps with the goal line at his back right after TD was heating up). Subbing Williams out for a Punt when he’s been doing great for a guy who’s never kicked in college and immediately shanks it, Pena not being coached to get back 10 yards further on PR and at least stop the ball from a 30-yard roll. And Of course, the punt.

It’s just one game, but it felt like much more than that. We should win that game. Rutgers is not very good.

I don’t know where we go from here. I’ll still watch every game, like I always have. But I’m looking forward to the Giants game tomorrow for sure.

Last edited:
I will not tear down the players. They’ve worked hard and play hard.

Our defense is legitimate. Those boys can hang with just about anybody and fly all over the place.

And, as excited as I was for today, I’m almost apathetic to the loss. And that’s probably an indictment of where we’re at as a program. Because I’ve been one of the most positive and rabid supporters of Syracuse Football ever since I was really able to.

People are debating whether or not we were a disciplined team today. I think our players play very hard within the rules, but mistakes cost us that shouldn’t have.

Fumbling inside the 10, illegal formation(s), unsportsmanlike on our HC (which whether you agree with it or not was unacceptable in that situation). And some of the decision making was baffling from a substitution and play calling standpoint. (TD hitting stride and running twice in long situations when we’re marching / putting in GS for his first real reps with the goal line at his back right after TD was heating up). Subbing Williams out for a Punt when he’s been doing great for a guy who’s never kicked in college and immediately shanks it, Pena not being coached to get back 10 yards further on PR and at least stop the ball from a 30-yard roll. And Of course, the punt.

It’s just one game, but it felt like much more than that. We should win that game. Rutgers is not very good.

I don’t know where we go from here. I’ll still watch every game, like I always have. But I’m looking forward to the Giants game tomorrow for sure.
The players left it on the field and have nothing to be ashamed of. They represented Syracuse extremely well throughout the game and gave their best.

The overall management of the program is to be questioned at this point. The overall gameday management is to be questioned at this point. Those need to be addressed asap. Dino has to right the ship pronto.

To me the Liberty game has become a massive fork in the road for the entire program. If they can't beat Liberty at home, that'll be a huge decision for Wildhack to figure out when to pull the pin from this.

Syracuse can't afford to just linger like a stale fart at 2-2 going into FSU, WF, Clemson. That smells like 2-5 and a ship sinking fast.

At 3-1 I feel like there is hope at least with this season and a potential bowl.

And I’ve never missed games. Giants are good for a strong run once or twice a decade.

At this point in my life I’ve only got room for one lovable loser team.

I will not tear down the players. They’ve worked hard and play hard. And I really do believe we’re talented.

Fumbling inside the 10, illegal formation(s), unsportsmanlike on our HC (which whether you agree with it or not was unacceptable in that situation). And some of the decision making was baffling from a substitution and play calling standpoint. (TD hitting stride and running twice in long situations when we’re marching / putting in GS for his first real reps with the goal line at his back right after TD was heating up). Subbing Williams out for a Punt when he’s been doing great for a guy who’s never kicked in college and immediately shanks it, Pena not being coached to get back 10 yards further on PR and at least stop the ball from a 30-yard roll. And Of course, the punt.

Feel the same Fin.

A fellow giants fan! on to the Broncos tomorrow, go big blue

It has been a tough team to find positives with since the bowl win. Losing to an old rival like Rutgers will always spark the feelings many are voicing on this board. I get it.

There are constant discussions here on why Syracuse isn't experiencing more success. Most often than not these conversations boil down to recruiting and end up with where we need to put our recruiting focus. What we can all can agree with is that it is really, really difficult to recruit to Syracuse. It probably always will. Syracuse will probably never be able to reload, it will need to rebuild and these rebuilds will be difficult.

This recruiting struggle will also limit the possible new coach possibilities. Even if Syracuse gets a quality young coach, he will probably view it as a stepping stone opportunity to vault himself into a better position. It hurts to type this, but it is probably true...

With this all said, the 2021 Syracuse Orange is a much better team than last years. Certainly, not as talented, but they are better. Yes, the most critical position, QB, is not where it should be this far into a coach's tenure, and the game plan shows it (see recruiting issues). We have to run the ball to be sucessful and win games this year.

There is still a lot of football to play this year. A bowl game looks difficult to make, but that was the same feeling at the beginning of the year, before a single snap was taken.

I hope all of you continue to support this team, because they need us. This program needs us. Grasp at every little positive you can find, and improvements you can see, because there are a lot of good players on this team that can win against the teams left on our schedule.

It has been a tough team to find positives with since the bowl win. Losing to an old rival like Rutgers will always spark the feelings many are voicing on this board. I get it.

There are constant discussions here on why Syracuse isn't experiencing more success. Most often than not these conversations boil down to recruiting and end up with where we need to put our recruiting focus. What we can all can agree with is that it is really, really difficult to recruit to Syracuse. It probably always will. Syracuse will probably never be able to reload, it will need to rebuild and these rebuilds will be difficult.

This recruiting struggle will also limit the possible new coach possibilities. Even if Syracuse gets a quality young coach, he will probably view it as a stepping stone opportunity to vault himself into a better position. It hurts to type this, but it is probably true...

With this all said, the 2021 Syracuse Orange is a much better team than last years. Certainly, not as talented, but they are better. Yes, the most critical position, QB, is not where it should be this far into a coach's tenure, and the game plan shows it (see recruiting issues). We have to run the ball to be sucessful and win games this year.

There is still a lot of football to play this year. A bowl game looks difficult to make, but that was the same feeling at the beginning of the year, before a single snap was taken.

I hope all of you continue to support this team, because they need us. This program needs us. Grasp at every little positive you can find, and improvements you can see, because there are a lot of good players on this team that can win against the teams left on our schedule.
Very logical take - and very appreciated.

We’re not talented.

The defense has some guys, that’s about it.

Sean Tucker is the only above average guy on our offense.

We’re not talented.

The defense has some guys, that’s about it.

Sean Tucker is the only above average guy on our offense.
Our defense is top 25 easily.

our O has a few players.

Our O staff and Head Coach are better suited for Cortaca

This is so insane. We've never even been able to pretend to have a chance at a championship 4 games into a season for my entire life.
Its crazy, but its hard count the loss to ND in 18 for the 10-3 year when ND is a half member of the conference

We may or may not be better than last year, but it would be hard to be worse than last year.

Fumbling inside the 10, illegal formation(s), unsportsmanlike on our HC (which whether you agree with it or not was unacceptable in that situation). And some of the decision making was baffling from a substitution and play calling standpoint. (TD hitting stride and then running twice in long situations when we’re marching / putting in GS for his first real reps with the goal line at his back right after TD was heating up). Subbing Williams out for a Punt when he’s been doing great for a guy who’s never kicked in college and immediately shanks it, Pena not being coached to get back 10 yards further on PR and at least stop the ball from a 30-yard roll. And Of course, the punt.

A couple things:

1) Tommy sucks on everything non-throwing. Period.

2) I have Giants seasons if there is a game you want to go to.

This loss hurt me in a really weird way.

I avoided my phone all day after being at a tournament with my team. Got home, watched, and was just utterly disappointed. I’d hang my hat on the officials really shooting Syracuse in the foot with some questionable calls all day long, but in the grand scheme of things, I turned the game off now convinced that Dino isn’t the guy to get it done. Anyone who knows me knows I thought he was the dude. It hurts to admit it to myself.

Our front 7 was so good today. I’m not going to rag on the offense because I don’t think they’re being helped by the coaches and game script/plan. As a 34 year old man, I’ve spent the last 20 years watching Syracuse and now almost believe I’ll never see a competitive Syracuse football team on my life.

I don’t know how else to describe the feeling I feel. It’s a very weird feeling.