Syracuse Goes Mobile Ticketing (Luddites Take Note) | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Goes Mobile Ticketing (Luddites Take Note)

Better tell that to Southwest, Delta, American, and United.

I didn’t say you couldn’t do it ever, just that some apps you cannot. TicketMaster is one that you cannot screenshot, since the bar codes refresh within the app, making a screenshot obsolete nearly immediately. From their website:

BB73C42E-8B57-46C2-BCD1-6114ACAEEBC3.jpeg

flash back 20+ yrs ago when all you had was tickets. it was very hard to clone tickets, it was a lot of work and for the most part the only scam was selling tickets for the wrong game. now we have gone mobile, its not quicker, it has issues that can be way worse, scanners break etc. it costs more and you still have people hanging around the scanners to see how stuff is going. it has opened up a different market for re-sell though but that now becomes harder too if you dont sell ahead

Another example of fans frustration over mobile tickets

As stated earlier in NY state there is a law that paper tickets must be given to fans as an option no matter what the team or venue states.

I believe the law says that they have to provide you with paper tickets UNLESS they provide you with a way to electronically transfer and sell tickets ... which SU has already done.

I believe the law says that they have to provide you with paper tickets UNLESS they provide you with a way to electronically transfer and sell tickets ... which SU has already done.
Yes, I already posted the law earlier in this thread.

Here it the section referring to paperless ticketing again:

(c) employ a paperless ticketing system unless the consumer is given an option to purchase paperless tickets that the consumer can transfer at any price, and at any time, and without additional fees, independent of the operator or operator's agent. Notwithstanding the foregoing, an operator or operator's agent may employ a paperless ticketing system that does not allow for independent transferability of paperless tickets only if the consumer is offered an option at the time of initial sale to purchase the same tickets in some other form that is transferrable independent of the operator or operator's agent including, but not limited to, paper tickets or e-tickets. The established price for any given ticket shall be the same regardless of the form or transferability of such ticket. The ability for a ticket to be transferred independent of the operator or operator's agent shall not constitute a special service for the purpose of imposing a service charge pursuant to section 25.29 of this article.

All I know os last season the Buffalo Bills used a mobile system however plenty of fans opted out in order to receive hard stock paper tickets instead.

The move to mobile tickets is being driven by ticketmaster and the teams to gather data on the end user. For years ticketmaster complained about fake tickets but never did anything about them. They employed a pdf system that was a gateway for fakes as people made countless copies only to sell them off.While at the same tike they did nothing to provide customers an easy online verification tool through the app. If they really wanted to stop the bad tickets it would of been an easy fix take a picture of the barcode and if the ticket was valid it would let you know.

Mobile ticketing is all about trying to take control of the secondary market. Ticketmaster and live nation could of taken care of their fans all along by offering free and total refunds of tickets purchased rather than having a no refund policy and this would of pretty much stopped ticket reselling as we know it . However they simply do not want to offer that option to their customers.

It's not about the gate, it's about what happens inside the stadium. Seat upgrades, concession sales, etc etc. It's the in-game upselling.

It's not about the gate, it's about what happens inside the stadium. Seat upgrades, concession sales, etc etc. It's the in-game upselling.

Which is why I'd expect more pushback.

Customers usually balk at greedy businesses that make changes solely for their benefit.

All I know os last season the Buffalo Bills used a mobile system however plenty of fans opted out in order to receive hard stock paper tickets instead.

The move to mobile tickets is being driven by ticketmaster and the teams to gather data on the end user. For years ticketmaster complained about fake tickets but never did anything about them. They employed a pdf system that was a gateway for fakes as people made countless copies only to sell them off.While at the same tike they did nothing to provide customers an easy online verification tool through the app. If they really wanted to stop the bad tickets it would of been an easy fix take a picture of the barcode and if the ticket was valid it would let you know.

Mobile ticketing is all about trying to take control of the secondary market. Ticketmaster and live nation could of taken care of their fans all along by offering free and total refunds of tickets purchased rather than having a no refund policy and this would of pretty much stopped ticket reselling as we know it . However they simply do not want to offer that option to their customers.
This is exactly what I hate about this - poorly regulated mobile Apps set up to harvest (store, sell, transfer, etc) my data whenever I make a move. I should have the right to opt-out of being surveiled CCP-style. The EU is way ahead on this with GDPR.

Last edited:
Which is why I'd expect more pushback.

Customers usually balk at greedy businesses that make changes solely for their benefit.

You know when you go to a game and see empty seats in front of you? Your app will now try to sell you those seats. Or send you coupons for whatever you're looking to buy or notifications for whatever else. Or a host of other things. I don't pay much attention to it but other people love that stuff. For me it's just far easier to purchase concessions with the app.

As the dummy who has to distribute the tickets in my group (and baseball is a different animal) the app has taken 95% of the time away from that chore. In the case of MLB for the Nats, tickets move into 2021 and I am getting 50% in house credit (money) for the cost of the tickets, which I can give to each group member by % of their ticket shares.

But for the topic, this isn't about beating scalpers or anything like that.

You know when you go to a game and see empty seats in front of you? Your app will now try to sell you those seats. Or send you coupons for whatever you're looking to buy or notifications for whatever else. Or a host of other things. I don't pay much attention to it but other people love that stuff. For me it's just far easier to purchase concessions with the app.

As the dummy who has to distribute the tickets in my group (and baseball is a different animal) the app has taken 95% of the time away from that chore. In the case of MLB for the Nats, tickets move into 2021 and I am getting 50% in house credit (money) for the cost of the tickets, which I can give to each group member by % of their ticket shares.

But for the topic, this isn't about beating scalpers or anything like that.

I will say that in the last two years I've found it very easy to dump my unwanted tickets through their app or website or whatever it is.

On the whole, though, SU isn't pushing this as a favor to the fans. They're interested in suctioning more money out of the fans. In most businesses this causes resentment. Around here it's more of a Homer Simpson "Woohoo!" response.

I will say that in the last two years I've found it very easy to dump my unwanted tickets through their app or website or whatever it is.

On the whole, though, SU isn't pushing this as a favor to the fans. They're interested in suctioning more money out of the fans. In most businesses this causes resentment. Around here it's more of a Homer Simpson "Woohoo!" response.

It's just sports, and pretty commonplace. Many here engage with other teams this way.

And yeah, we get that the whole thing is a money grab. No one forces anyone to go to a game. Their stadium, their team and terms.

It's just sports, and pretty commonplace. Many here engage with other teams this way.

I can see the benefit of trying to reach out through the app for in game upgrades and concession ordering. But that can be done through the app once it uses location service to let them know you are at the event.

I am telling you that just wait to see the problems at the gates using this technology .

I can see the benefit of trying to reach out through the app for in game upgrades and concession ordering. But that can be done through the app once it uses location service to let them know you are at the event.

I am telling you that just wait to see the problems at the gates using this technology .

I've been using this for a couple of years for the Washington Nationals. And it's been fine. I didn't want to make the move either, and was wrong about it.

Just another example on what to expect when things get back to normal

If you think the lines getting into the dome ws bad before for fb and bb just wait

... until 2021.

IF they allow fans at all for anything this school year, it will be in very limited numbers.

So no - it’s not gonna be a problem right away, because there won’t be big crowds.

Just another example on what to expect when things get back to normal

If you think the lines getting into the dome ws bad before for fb and bb just wait
No question that if you going to force the fans to use mobile tickets, you must provide high quality wifi available at the gates in the stadium.
A new and vastly improved wifi system was supposed to be part of phase 1.

If this turns out to not be the case, there will be massive delays. This is never a good thing but with a pandemic going on, the last thing you want to do is introduce unnecessary queueing, encouraging fans to push together to try and get through the lines quicker.

It is probably a good thing that COVID is buying the university more time to get the infrastructure in place to support this, time to test things properly, time to get instructions to fans on how to sign into the wifi network, etc.

Last edited:
Here is a list of contacts for tickets at Syracuse. If you all are that upset, reach out and share your concerns directly and see what they say. (My apologies on the format, it didn’t paste cleanly).

Please email dometix with any questions you may have.

Mark Potter Director of Ticket Operations mdpotter
Peter Irvine
Manager Ticketing Systems ppirvine

Lori LaShombe Ticket Operations - Business Manager lalashom
Sam Crisalli Ticket Operations Representative scrisall
Kristen Schroeder Ticket Operations Coordinator - Customer Service kday
Amanda Hassett Ticket Operations Coordinator - TIcket Systems alhasset

Just another example of fans being frustrated with the move to mobile tickets.

It begs to ask the question at what point do fans just say F... it and not bother going to the game and just stay home in comfort to watch it on a 75 inch hd tv. In recent years all across ncaa football is losing fans at the stadiums at alarming rates this move to mobile only makes matters worse.

Every team in college should be making it easier to come to an event not harder

Old style tickets worked for years why. change a good thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom