Syracuse has a date for its first football game under the new Carrier Dome roof | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse has a date for its first football game under the new Carrier Dome roof

Have they ever scheduled an FCS team for a Friday night? (And I do think it has something to do with bringing Colgate fans/Alumni who may very well root for Cuse, as long as it's not against 'Gate)

Villanova in 2014
URI in 2015
Colgate in 2016
Central Connecticut in 2017

With the date set for a Friday night, it has my hopes up, that the LED light package will be capable of putting on a show...;-)

My inner 10 year old: "Please let there be fire, please let there be fire."

6684396_303.jpg

That's my hope... An 8pm game could give those that show up early a chance to see natural light coming in, and then a light show intro.. Or even if they wait til the half, we'll get to see 2 new big features, at one game.

Have they ever scheduled an FCS team for a Friday night? (And I do think it has something to do with bringing Colgate fans/Alumni who may very well root for Cuse, as long as it's not against 'Gate)

Tough luck with this falling on Rosh Hashanah. Colgate usually travels well, but I'm not sure that Friday night won't hurt those numbers (Colgate draws flies for football games on Saturday afternoons, and if it's anything like it used to be, no undergraduate will want to give up a going-out night to sit at a football game in Syracuse for four hours). The holiday will dampen turnout for people from both fan bases and of all age groups.

I look forward to the new LED lighting package but I don't want them to turn the production into arena style football, WWE, or NBA Live. They already killed the marching bad and turned the cheerleaders into Barney characters.

Last edited:
I look forward to the new LED lighting package but I don't want them to turn the production into arena style football, WWE, or NBA Live. They already killed the marching bad and turned the cheerleaders into Barney characters.
I wish the SUMB was featured more but the biggest reason it isn’t is because they don’t know enough songs yet. The new band director has been major improvements in his short time here and it is only going to get better over time.

I suspect it wasn’t a coincidence the first game is a night game. That will give SU a chance to show off what the new LED lighting system can do (probably changes in colors, strobe lighting effects, etc.).

To me, the real question is, will SU get a Quince 3D projection system show in place for the opener? And if so, will it be a one off or will they buy the equipment and install it permanently in the facility?

A one off show will cost in the range of $100K - $250K. A permanent 3D projection system will cost well over $1 million dollars. With the plans to use a translucent fabric for much of the roof, I don’t think it could be used except for night games. But having a Quince 3D projection system in house, and adding courses giving students access to it, training them on how to create shows, would be a great thing. There are a lot of these systems out there and more being installed regularly. I think only the University of Florida has one today (maybe Villanova as well).

I know John Wildhack and the rest of the SUAD is looking to provide reasons for fans to come to the games instead of watch them on TV. This could be one of the difference makers for the casual fans who are on the fence about whether a buy a ticket or not.