"Syracuse is a well coached team" | Syracusefan.com

"Syracuse is a well coached team"

We are starting to hear and read this over and over again in the media. Has to help with perceptions of the program and recruiting. Our guys can recruit and they can coach. Sorry haters.
And the haters will remain mostly silent until they can find, or more likely, synthesis something to b1tch about.

I once saw a tee-shirt that said "Haters Are Going To Hate". Maybe they're right.

image-1339853216.jpg

my favorite quote from this past weekend:

“That tradition that they had at Syracuse has always really allowed me to look on that program as one of the classic college programs in our country." Les Miles
And that my friend is why it takes more than a season or two of winning records (against lightweight schedules) for a program to be able to have a brand.

Last night on the SEC network Miles further said to his own fanbase that Syracuse was a formidable opponent that is well coached and better than most thought. Outside of being outsized they were fast and in position to make plays and played tough.

Coming from a coach at the highest level it felt good to hear. I believe the comments were out of genuine respect for HCSS and the players and not simply to be nice.

Last night on the SEC network Miles further said to his own fanbase that Syracuse was a formidable opponent that is well coached and better than most thought. Outside of being outsized they were fast and in position to make plays and played tough.

Coming from a coach at the highest level it felt good to hear. I believe the comments were out of genuine respect for HCSS and the players and not simply to be nice.

To be cynical for a moment, Miles was trying to explain why his team struggled against SU and its back-up QB.

Put aside Miles's opinion. We ought to look at our product on the field and see that this coaching staff is doing a good job, and that our team is better than 6 wins and a who-cares bowl. The team is healthy, and has a few weapons.

"Well coached team" is the equivalent of "he speaks so well". Its like a nothing compliment. Typical coach speak.

To me it's coach speak leading up to a game but I rarely hear it after a game and that's what happened. The quotes came from players to. SoBristol has a good point about having to explain why they struggled, but he didn't have to do that. They usually dont rehash and always look forward. It was genuine praise.

Disagree. Professionals usually don't give false praise.

When you put a microphone and camera and ask what they think about a peer, you'll rarely hear any bashing. Thats usually reserved to non professionals. What you'll generally hear if its not LEGIT praise and accolades is a lot of generic BS like, so and so always puts in a good effort, they're punctual, they're driven, etc. Qualities, that while admirable, are all fluff.

This sounds very similar to how this board was ready to make Villanova FCS champs after our "close win" last year.

This sounds very similar to how this board was ready to make Villanova FCS champs after our "close win" last year.
Actually Nova only lost one more time until they were ousted by 3 in the Quarterfinals...without QB Robertson who suffered a concussion the previous game. FCS champs wasn't exactly a reach.

When you put a microphone and camera and ask what they think about a peer, you'll rarely hear any bashing. Thats usually reserved to non professionals. What you'll generally hear if its not LEGIT praise and accolades is a lot of generic BS like, so and so always puts in a good effort, they're punctual, they're driven, etc. Qualities, that while admirable, are all fluff.
Yes, but they don't say they are a well coached team.

My take lets look at the results so far

1. fewer 5 yard & holding penalties
2. far better special teams play
3. better play calling on both sides
4. better red zone scoring
5. better WR route running & blocking
6. fewer turnovers
7. better recruiting (freshmen & RFs are performing quite well)

Shafer is controlling the controllables given the youth & talent on the team. I would agree with Les Miles and the pundits given what I've seen so far.

Maybe so but I don't remember ever hearing that during the last 15 years. Seems like a good sign.
Was it during the Gerg era when I think it was BC who said they knew what plays SU would run every snap?

Maybe he has better athletes to work with - but seems like our ST coach has a future. Awesome to see. Maybe I missed it but I don't recall seeing a clip or holding on any PR or KR. Those type penalties make me nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom