Syracuse Looks Nice...Real Nice | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Looks Nice...Real Nice

what tha heel

Walk On
After getting to watch most of the top teams play this week, I have come away so far being most impressed with Syracuse. I'm not just kissing ass, I promise. As a Tar Heel fan, these are the teams I am most impressed with so far in order:

1.) Syracuse
2.) Ohio St.
3.) Kentucky
4.) Florida

Kentucky is still very young, but they have loads of talent. Will they get it all together? Probably. But until UNC shows they can shoot the ball from outside, I want no part of the Cuse zone. Who have you guys been most impressed with?

After getting to watch most of the top teams play this week, I have come away so far being most impressed with Syracuse. I'm not just kissing ass, I promise. As a Tar Heel fan, these are the teams I am most impressed with so far in order:

1.) Syracuse
2.) Ohio St.
3.) Kentucky
4.) Florida

Kentucky is still very young, but they have loads of talent. Will they get it all together? Probably. But until UNC shows they can shoot the ball from outside, I want no part of the Cuse zone. Who have you guys been most impressed with?
Kentucky doesn't impress me. I watched them beat Kansas at MSG last night. They score probably 80% of their points on dunks and layups, no one can really shoot well on that team. I like Jones a lot but I can't see them making a run in the tournament if someone takes away the fast break from them.

Also not terribly impressed by Duke either. I watched the Belmont game, was there last night, and saw the first half of the presbyterian game. Dawkins was can't miss in the MSU game, but the Plumlees are incredibly overrated, and that Kelly kid's a bum too. When they play a team that is more athletically gifted they are going to get destroyed.

I think we'd kill both of those teams right now.

I think UNC's a pretty nice team from what I saw against MSU. Barnes is really good. Would love to play you guys, I think it would be a tremendous matchup. I'm really looking forward to the Cuse-Florida game in the Dome as well. Wished UF beat OSU the other night.

Memphis is for real. Florida looks like a bunch of turds, if Boytan isn't helping Murphy they are one dimensional. Kansas really, really sucks this year. Kentucky is young, don't really know how good they will be. All I will say about North Carolina, they didn't deserve all the hub bub. They will have a great record, but they won't be dominant.

Oh, and Uconn is the most overrated team in the country.

UNC, UCONN and Kentucky look like legit teams. not exactly going out on a limb there.

UNC, UCONN and Kentucky look like legit teams. not exactly going out on a limb there.
Uconn needs more options other than Napier and Lamb. Jury is still out on Drummond.

I don't really think there will be a dominant team in basketball this year. It's a lot more top heavy than last year, but I think there are probably 10 teams that could win it all if they got hot in March.

Agree that Uconn looks weak, and Kansas may have a similiar year to UNC a couple of years ago where we went to the NIT. Right now I think Michigan St. will be far better than Kansas. Draymond Green is physical, but really smart. And I think Izzo can really coach his team up better than somebody like Self. Memphis does look like the real deal, but playing cupcakes in conference all year long will probably hurt them come tourney time.

As for dook, they have a good coach. I think we all get that now, after the last week, but this team is going struggle against really athletic teams, teams that have a good inside game, and teams that can be physical with the Dumblees. I think A. Rivers is a nice talent, but so far he seems like a little bit of a head case. Will be interesting to see if he is able to mesh into the team concept (oh please, basketball gods, don't let this happen).

Your big guys and overall athleticism have impressed me most so far this year. You, like us, can't shoot free throws. UNC has a lot of work to do, like most teams. We won't be a team that blows people out of the water. But I think if we buy into more of a defensive identity, we can still score a good amount of points. But I think we will win a lot "ugly" this year. It's better than losing pretty, I guess.

1.) Syracuse
2.) Ohio St.
3.) Kentucky
4.) Florida

You Warriors are good, Real good
riffs02.jpg

The Best
Warriors-movie1.jpg

Obviously early in the season but since you ask ... I have seen the top teams (most of them ) play and so far:

I have been most impressed with Syracuse ... with no bias (really) .. except for the last game. They have shown incredible balance and an extremely deep bench with comparable talent ... they are going to wear teams down.

Sorry Jake but I'm not that impressed with UConn ... at this point. But I am sure I will be.
I like North Carolina but no outside shooting. Harrison Barnes is going to be the whole season for them ...keep him healthy.
Kansas looks like the shadow of what they were and with the twins gone I don't think they will go very far... which brings up Kentucky. At this time I see the typical helter skelter run and gun team we have seen in the past. I love Jones but typical of Calipari he puts a lot of high school stars on the floor and bets he can beat experienced college teams. They need experience to beat an NC and even us or UConn ... once they get it they are loaded with talent.

Florida ... hmmmm... I am certainly impressed with Boynton and, of course, Murphy looks good as well. I may be wrong but they look short to me and, as has been pointed out, somewhat one-dimensional. Reminds me a little of UConn and Kemba ... shut down Boynton and they'll get rocked. Can't wait to play them in the dome.

I was initially impressed with Ohio State ... but it seems they got pretty soft at the end of the game. Sullinger is, of course, the primary ... shut him down and OSU is beatable.

Anybody mention Pitt? Right now they are, surprisingly, struggling on defense. Gibbs is always going to be a zone buster but unless they get their defense on track ... which Dixon will ... they are very vulnerable. Bringing us to Louisville. I haven't seen them play as of yet but with Marra out for season they could be hurting .. of course they still have Siva ... another PIA for our zone.

So, after the 3rd game of the season who do I like:

North Carolina
Syracuse
maybe Kentucky
UConn has to show me something more
Ohio State
and way down the ladder Duke and Memphis

I haven't seen UConn yet.

Probably the best teams I have seen are UNC, OSU, Memphis and UK.

I think SU is right with those teams though. Probably Uconn as well but I haven't watched them play yet.

I don't really think there will be a dominant team in basketball this year. It's a lot more top heavy than last year, but I think there are probably 10 teams that could win it all if they got hot in March.

Agree that Uconn looks weak, and Kansas may have a similiar year to UNC a couple of years ago where we went to the NIT. Right now I think Michigan St. will be far better than Kansas. Draymond Green is physical, but really smart. And I think Izzo can really coach his team up better than somebody like Self. Memphis does look like the real deal, but playing cupcakes in conference all year long will probably hurt them come tourney time.

As for dook, they have a good coach. I think we all get that now, after the last week, but this team is going struggle against really athletic teams, teams that have a good inside game, and teams that can be physical with the Dumblees. I think A. Rivers is a nice talent, but so far he seems like a little bit of a head case. Will be interesting to see if he is able to mesh into the team concept (oh please, basketball gods, don't let this happen).

Your big guys and overall athleticism have impressed me most so far this year. You, like us, can't shoot free throws. UNC has a lot of work to do, like most teams. We won't be a team that blows people out of the water. But I think if we buy into more of a defensive identity, we can still score a good amount of points. But I think we will win a lot "ugly" this year. It's better than losing pretty, I guess.

A. Rivers will be the most disliked player in college ball before the year is out. Calendar year.

A. Rivers will be the most disliked player in college ball before the year is out. Calendar year.
He's not already?!?!

I've seen a lot of talk about UNC's outside shooting...but it's not really that bad. Barnes and Marshall are both solid outside shooters, Bulluck can knock them down, although not consistently enough, and Hairston was one of the top shooters in this freshman class coming in. I think they'll be okay there, even if they aren't a great shooting team. Having Zeller, Henson and McAdoo to clean up the ORebs should really even out any poor shooting performances, i'd imagine.

I've seen a lot of talk about UNC's outside shooting...but it's not really that bad. Barnes and Marshall are both solid outside shooters, Bulluck can knock them down, although not consistently enough, and Hairston was one of the top shooters in this freshman class coming in. I think they'll be okay there, even if they aren't a great shooting team. Having Zeller, Henson and McAdoo to clean up the ORebs should really even out any poor shooting performances, i'd imagine.

I love Marshall's game but outside shooting is not his strength.

I love Marshall's game but outside shooting is not his strength.
It's hardly a weakness, though. He shot it at 38% from 3 last year, which was better than any of our regulars last year. He's definitely not a shoot first guard, and only looks to shoot the 3 when he's left open, but he can certainly knock them down pretty regularly.

Long Beach State was pretty impressive tonite, even though Pitt is overrated.
They have alot of experience, a good coach in Monson, & their PG is a star- you need good guard play in March.

My list:

UNC
UK
SU
OSU
UConn
Memphis

UK
OSU
SU
Uconn - they are not looking impressive as of right now but history has shown that Calhoun will have that team clicking on all cylinders come march, as much as I hate to admit it.

A reminder--- UConn looked terrible at the beginning of last year and were mediocre well into the season...things worked out. Nobody on this board likes their coach (me included) BUT he's as good as they get. If Drummond is half as good as he's suppposed to be, we'll probably see them far into the tourney. I saw the UNC-MSU game and was very impressed in UNC and wondered how we'd handle their big two. Think the ceiling is very high with them as it is with the Cuse.

Kentucky doesn't impress me. I watched them beat Kansas at MSG last night. They score probably 80% of their points on dunks and layups, no one can really shoot well on that team. I like Jones a lot but I can't see them making a run in the tournament if someone takes away the fast break from them.

Also not terribly impressed by Duke either. I watched the Belmont game, was there last night, and saw the first half of the presbyterian game. Dawkins was can't miss in the MSU game, but the Plumlees are incredibly overrated, and that Kelly kid's a bum too. When they play a team that is more athletically gifted they are going to get destroyed.

I think we'd kill both of those teams right now.

I think UNC's a pretty nice team from what I saw against MSU. Barnes is really good. Would love to play you guys, I think it would be a tremendous matchup. I'm really looking forward to the Cuse-Florida game in the Dome as well. Wished UF beat OSU the other night.

One thing on Kentucky; Lamb can definitely shoot it, and so can Darius Miller.

Isn't Kelly supposed to have made a huge breakthrough this year for Duke? That's the word on the street. Haven't seen them play yet. I doubt we'd kill either Duke or UK; we'd probably be favored over Duke and UK might be a 2 point favorite on us, if i had to guess.

No team has looked as big on TV as we do. We have one tall/long/athletic team.

One thing on Kentucky; Lamb can definitely shoot it, and so can Darius Miller.

Isn't Kelly supposed to have made a huge breakthrough this year for Duke? That's the word on the street. Haven't seen them play yet. I doubt we'd kill either Duke or UK; we'd probably be favored over Duke and UK might be a 2 point favorite on us, if i had to guess.

Agreed. I like Darius Miller's game. UK will be very good down the road. Teague will get a lot better. We're not killing any of these teams. Duke's M2M is still good enough to slow us down a little. Memphis is looking very good and much improved. Definitely one of the more athletic teams.

A reminder--- UConn looked terrible at the beginning of last year and were mediocre well into the season...things worked out. Nobody on this board likes their coach (me included) BUT he's as good as they get. If Drummond is half as good as he's suppposed to be, we'll probably see them far into the tourney. I saw the UNC-MSU game and was very impressed in UNC and wondered how we'd handle their big two. Think the ceiling is very high with them as it is with the Cuse.
Uconn was awesome at the beginning of last year... remember Kemba in Maui?...

No team has looked as big on TV as we do. We have one tall/long/athletic team.

Yeah this is a very good point. UNC is probably the only team that can match us in this department.