Syracuse MBB finally releases a statement | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse MBB finally releases a statement

I disagree entirely. How does any team playing post season have a disadvantage?

Every single coach and staffer in American is not busy all day long. Id argue a transfer would prefer to visit while taking in a practice. These kids are not being wooed by bells and whistles. It’s ’what Is my NIL package, followed by everything else…playing time, system, role, draft prospects etc etc.”. To think we have some advantage by sitting home, over (insert school here - NC State for example) is nuts.

What’s our talent pool versus the rest of the field? Top 25 starter? Doubtful unless it’s a post grad. G5 starter? Probable. P4 bench warmer? probable. It doesn’t change whether we’re in our out of post season play.
Disagree completely given present circumstances. Team is gutted and the "return on time investment and experience " is therefore negligible. My guess staff may had even asked those staying their inputs. Coaching staff can now immediately during hours assist recruiting staff in looking at transfer film, back channel outreach to initial targets, get people already in portal contacted and perhaps visits, etc.
This is not Red had a full team and said "Naw, I have other stuff ". At the end of the day we can agree to disagree here. I have coached. Different sport than hoops. Larger team sports have more abilities to absorb losses. In hoops if you are down to maybe 6 or 7 with say 5 of your top 7 gone it is really really hard to justify.

So far this is all middle school soccer mom gossip...and frankly if guys don't want to play then they should be immediately kicked off the team with no access to the athletic facilities. They can go be regular students then until they transfer.

If I'm the coach, I go play with whoever wants to play and if it's 5 walkons so be it.
I’m pretty neutral on the NIT, but my brother’s take is that you keep playing as long as there are games to play. I DO kind of think that ending the season when there are games yet to play goes against the bowl game reasoning that extra practices are important in helping the team get better, whether the games are important or not. It’s not my call in any way but other than the risk of injury, what’s the downside of extending the season? Would it really keep the coaches from reaching out to potential transfers?

I’m pretty neutral on the NIT, but my brother’s take is that you keep playing as long as there are games to play. I DO kind of think that ending the season when there are games yet to play goes against the bowl game reasoning that extra practices are important in helping the team get better, whether the games are important or not. It’s not my call in any way but other than the risk of injury, what’s the downside of extending the season? Would it really keep the coaches from reaching out to potential transfers?
we werent going to be able to field a team. That's it. Hard to play when you dont have a team to put on the court. This is not astrophysics people

we werent going to be able to field a team. That's it. Hard to play when you dont have a team to put on the court. This is not astrophysics people
Exactly.
Besides, in years past the NIT could be used to strengthen team chemistry or give extra time in a tournament setting to developing players.
In the portal era, none of that applies if you're not gonna have the same team/players guaranteed to come back. It's becoming obsolete.

We need a breakdown maybe?

These guys are hurt:
1) Westry
2) Hima
3) McLeod

Suspended:
4) Williams

Redshirt:
5) Patterson

Have it on good authority these guys are out the door:
6) Mintz
7) Copeland
8) Taylor
9) Carey (also banged up)

Maybe would play:
10) Bell

Would play:
11) Starling
12) Brown
13) Cuffe

You only get 13 roster spots. They are all accounted for here, and there are only 3 guys you can count on playing. That's not enough to field a team. Even the coach from Hoosiers wouldn't play with that team.

Yeah I am just not that fussed by this. Everyone knows we as a 20 win ACC team would have been in the NIT. Most of us, including myself have no idea how bad the drama behind the scenes was but clearly from our insiders it was significant. I could give a scheet about those details. It's high school drama type BS. We will see people hitting the portal and that will tell enough of the story. If you don't like it, then don't donate, easy. That said I think the number of us on this board emotionally distraught by this could probably be counted on two hands.
Pretty accurate.

While that’s the insight by insiders, that’s not how SU put it. What’s so hard about telling the truth rather than insinuating that we’re too good for the NIT?

While that’s the insight by insiders, that’s not how SU put it. What’s so hard about telling the truth rather than insinuating that we’re too good for the NIT?
So to come out and say “We are losing 5-6 guys who wont play in the nit and btw are hitting the portal so unless we play walk ons we are not taking a spot”

im sure that would be well received by this fan base

So to come out and say “We are losing 5-6 guys who wont play in the nit and btw are hitting the portal so unless we play walk ons we are not taking a spot”

im sure that would be well received by this fan base
Well, I personally didn’t care if we tried to play in the NIT. I’ve been fortunate to have the benefit of insight from you, dasher, and others. However, communication by SU is a big deal.

I know several people that were pissed off that SU declined to play in the postseason without explaining the reasoning. It’s a different thing to say we’re going to be too thin with personnel than how SU put it.

My brother was one that was pissed and though I passed on what I was hearing here, it didn’t jive with SU’s message. I’d have preferred a message that matched up with the truth. Not everyone reads Syracusefan.

Many just heard that SU declined to play in the NIT when not selected for the NCAA tournament. That didn’t sit well with many and was an example of mismanaged expectations, at least in my view. There was no good reason not to tell it the way it was.

Well, I personally didn’t care if we tried to play in the NIT. I’ve been fortunate to have the benefit of insight from you, dasher, and others. However, communication by SU is a big deal.

I know several people that were pissed off that SU declined to play in the postseason without explaining the reasoning. It’s a different thing to say we’re going to be too thin with personnel than how SU put it.

My brother was one that was pissed and though I passed on what I was hearing here, it didn’t jive with SU’s message. I’d have preferred a message that matched up with the truth. Not everyone reads Syracusefan.

Many just heard that SU declined to play in the NIT when not selected for the NCAA tournament. That didn’t sit well with many and was an example of mismanaged expectations, at least in my view. There was no good reason not to tell it the way it was.
Didnt help that the womens show was last night. I get that they could have done it before or after but im glad they didnt as they deserved the limelight for once

that's why I'm surprised the media doesn't read this board. Is there a journalistic rule that they shouldn't or can't?
Some shady sub standard folks have in the past and passed off the info as their own.

I care.

If the team can play, it should play.

Like it or not, the NIT is a national championship event.

At the very least, it affords the coaches more opportunities to coach in in-game situations.

I bet Jim Boeheim would have chosen to play.
On a day where there was plenty to talk about w/ posts piling up across several threads- as expected with beginning of portal season- this right here is the winner for me. The creme de la creme.

Future Hive GIF

Last edited:

These guys are hurt:
1) Westry
2) Hima
3) McLeod

Suspended:
4) Williams

Redshirt:
5) Patterson

6) Mintz
7) Copeland
8) Taylor

Maybe would play:
10) Bell

Would play:
11) Starling
12) Brown
13) Cuffe

You only get 13 roster spots. They are all accounted for here, and there are only 3 guys you can count on playing. That's not enough to field a team. Even the coach from Hoosiers wouldn't play with that team.
How would we field a team in the tourney ? Whats the advantage of portaling immediately?

The whole thing is nonsense. How do these kids transfer if they are done effectively. My son tried to transfer btw two good universities and they wanted a pound of blood in terms of grades and good standing.

How would we field a team in the tourney ? Whats the advantage of portaling immediately?

The whole thing is nonsense. How do these kids transfer if they are done effectively. My son tried to transfer btw two good universities and they wanted a pound of blood in terms of grades and good standing.

I'm not sure if this is a serious question, but I'll answer it.

1) the NCAA tournament is the championship everyone is playing for and it gets a lot of positive attention so everyone takes it seriously and shows up. The NIT is a meaningless exhibition and the players know it so they don't show up. It is the same in football with the playoffs and the other meaningless bowl games.

2) Star athletes often get treated differently than other students. In this case they get paid NIL money. And a court ruled that preventing them from transferring is illegally limiting their money making opportunities. Thus the law forced the door wide open for these players whether the NCAA wanted it or not.

NIT Champs:

We’re Number 69!!!

Approve South Park GIF
In 1981 the Orange lost in the NIT Final. I was crushed.

In 1979, when my alma mater, Indiana University won the NIT, my friends and I celebrated.

The NIT is a national tournament.

If my team has a chance to play in a national event I want my team to play.

And if my team wins I am all in.

That's just how I feel.

In 1979, when my alma mater, Indiana University won the NIT, my friends and I celebrated.

That's just how I feel.

Honest question - and off topic but you said the magic words...what did you do in 1987?

These guys are hurt:
1) Westry
2) Hima
3) McLeod

Suspended:
4) Williams

Redshirt:
5) Patterson

6) Mintz
7) Copeland
8) Taylor

Maybe would play:
10) Bell

Would play:
11) Starling
12) Brown
13) Cuffe

If this doesn't sum it up for people, I don't know what will. Two of the guys had one foot out the door and put the other one out on Monday. 8 possible players down to 6. I'm guessing 1 or 2 of them would have opted out.

There's nothing to argue, we wouldn't play this with walk ons.

That's just how I feel.
In an ideal world, I would want SU to play. But you've already mentioned that you weren't that well versed in how the transfer portal impacts things. The portal opened on Monday and we've already lost 2 players off an already pretty thin roster. The world has changed. The NIT isn't nearly as big of a deal as 30/40 years ago.

With all due respect, I think a more apt comparison is how did you and your friends feel after getting our rear ends kicked in the Boca Raton Bowl?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom