Syracuse MBB finally releases a statement | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse MBB finally releases a statement

This is a gigantic nothing-burger. No one outside of this fan base cares AT ALL about whether we were invited to the NIT, or declined. Hell, I bet a majority of our fan base doesn't care either.

Put out statement, or don't, whatever.

This is a gigantic nothing-burger. No one outside of this fan base cares AT ALL about whether we were invited to the NIT, or declined. Hell, I bet a majority of our fan base doesn't care either.

agreed. this is all meaningless. I cant believe people are upset. Its laughable

And few in the fan base actually care at this point. I missed all of the drama yesterday and see that I really didn’t ‘miss’ anything.

The portal is "first come first served".

Suppose we play in the NIT. Suppose we win a few games.

It only delays the rebuild by 3 weeks.

3 weeks from now the kids we want from the portal may be gone.

If the portal didn't open until April 9, we're not having this conversation. It is what it is.

1. Are kids on teams that made the NCAAT going to enter the portal now? So what is the rush? Why grab a kid that is in the portal now if there could be better players to chose from two weeks from now?

2. What is stopping Seton Hall from offering a kid now? How is the portal any different than offering a kid from HS? In both cases it is for next year's team. It has no impact on this season.

If we cannot field a team, then I get the NIT decline. But word it like that instead of the diss to the NIT.

I’m guessing the athletics dept didn’t want to spend the money on it. Can’t be spending money on frivolous things in the NIL area.

What "perception" is going to change by going to the NIT and getting bounced? I don't understand your point here.
I don't think I said we need to play in the NIT. Especially if half our team is bailing.

It's not getting in front of it yesterday and even last week. I'm one of the biggest Red Autry supporters, but he can take lessons from FLJ and Fran Brown.

It’s very unprofessional how they handled this. As an alum I want to see them play. I don’t care about the hot stove of these guys opting for free agency. Play the walk ons if you have to.

The system is broken if we can’t even do this. We played a bowl game w a skeleton crew.
Why?

I give thousands to this program every year and am glad they aren’t going. In fact I would have been annoyed had they accepted. I get everyone has their own opinion, but there would have been nothing of value to come from it. The NIT willl be dead within 5 years.

I don't think I said we need to play in the NIT. Especially if half our team is bailing.

It's not getting in front of it yesterday and even last week. I'm one of the biggest Red Autry supporters, but he can take lessons from FLJ and Fran Brown.
Gotcha. I just don't think it's anything worth "getting in front of". It's the NIT, it's a silly tournament that no major conference team wants to be in. "NIT" is a punchline.

Why?

I give thousands to this program every year and am glad they aren’t going. In fact I would have been annoyed had they accepted. I get everyone has their own opinion, but there would have been nothing of value to come from it. The NIT willl be dead within 5 years.
I like to watch Syracuse play basketball. Sorry if that’s a crazy hot take. I don’t care if it’s dead or not soon. I’m a consumer of the product and like more games.

I even watched the bowl until it was a blowout. I fail to see why guys wouldn’t play even if they leave. Are guys not going to play in ncaa too if they portal today?

I like to watch Syracuse play basketball. Sorry if that’s a crazy hot take. I don’t care if it’s dead or not soon. I’m a consumer of the product and like more games.

I even watched the bowl until it was a blowout. I fail to see why guys wouldn’t play even if they leave. Are guys not going to play in ncaa too if they portal today?
That's like asking if players opt out of the college football playoff vs the syracuse.com bowl.

Gotcha. I just don't think it's anything worth "getting in front of". It's the NIT, it's a silly tournament that no major conference team wants to be in. "NIT" is a punchline.
I'll refer back to one of my earlier posts where I said last night is one of the biggest nights in CBB. Lots of successful programs were being celebrated and their coaches were all over the media. Even schools like St John's and Seton Hall were being celebrated in defeat.

Where was such a proud program like Syracuse? Nowhere. Like we don't even exist. It wasn't as if we had a terrible season. We beat a lot of schools going dancing. We beat a one seed in North Carolina.

How about a simple statement. "We applaud the teams going dancing, especially the ones we beat this season. We didn't get to go this year and choose not to participate in the NIT. However we will be back next year ready to take our place where we rightfully belong".

That's like asking if players opt out of the college football playoff vs the syracuse.com bowl.
If they are going to have games go play them. Is Syracuse the only school w portal issues. We would be playing peer schools in the NIT. I don’t get it at all. Arrogance and if a lot of our guys are leaving, delusion. They weren’t that good here either tbh w playing time

If they are going to have games go play them. Is Syracuse the only school w portal issues. We would be playing peer schools in the NIT. I don’t get it at all. Arrogance and if a lot of our guys are leaving, delusion. They weren’t that good here either tbh w playing time
No they aren't. Did you miss that 10 others schools opted out including one of our rivals and one of the best coaches ever in Pitino?

You're right they weren't good. They won't be here next year.

Not sure what they gain from having everyone be in the dark about them declining an NIT invite. Just makes it look like they weren’t in
Sadly it's consistent with Chance Westry injury which to this day there is still this shroud of secrecy around it. Instead of "lower body injury" couldn't we be told torn Achilles, meniscus tear, high ankle etc etc. HCAA can't you see the excitement of the football program due to transparency. Wouldn't you want this for your program??

How about a simple statement. "We applaud the teams going dancing, especially the ones we beat this season. We didn't get to go this year and choose not to participate in the NIT. However we will be back next year ready to take our place where we rightfully belong".

Exactly...

I mean I am not going to lose any sleep over how they handled this announcement - in the big picture, it's small potatoes... but for a university with supposedly one of the best communications departments in the country to put out the bush league statement they did and calling the NIT unworthy...

Unforced error and dumb.

Last edited:
No they aren't. Did you miss that 10 others schools opted out including one of our rivals and one of the best coaches ever in Pitino?

I. Don’t. Care. About. Other. Schools.

i laugh because had we played and someone blew out their knee these same people would be screaming "why are we playing in the NIT?"

I love that everyone assumes we’re gonna rock and roll next year. This may take years before it turns around. I’m dubious until I see receiving votes again

I love that everyone assumes we’re gonna rock and roll next year. This may take years before it turns around. I’m dubious until I see receiving votes again
hoops can be turned around in one season. Many schools who portal kids make a massive jump. Based on what I am hearing I would be stunned if we arent ranked the entire season next year

Schools are playing in this thing.
Several others also declined. I get your viewpoint- I love watching Syracuse basketball and watch every game. But I saw examples of an un-engaged team this year and it wasn't at all fun to watch. I am pretty sure that's what we would have gotten in the NIT. Why you would want to watch that is beyond me.

And if you say that indicates a culture or coaching problem - that's why there is going to be portal action today and what Red is trying to fix.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom