Syracuse Michigan Matchup | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Michigan Matchup

Who guards mcw? Burke or hardaway? Will beilein throw us a 1-3-1?
I haven't seen to much 1-3-1 this season. I don't really know how will be on mcw. I am guessing Hardaway. We really want to force him to dribble more than he wants.

If Nik is in the corner Cuse can not let him catch it. His shot will be up quick.

ScreenShot2013-03-30at3.20.40PM_original.png

I think the smart game plan for Syracuse is to test Mcgary early in the pick and roll with Mcw and Triche. Zeller was not able to help Indianas guards at all on the pick and roll and it burned them. Mcw and Triche got to the rim at will in that game, I would like to see a similar game plan Saturday. I also think cj has a huge matchup advantage. Glenn Robinson is lazy on defense, and I would have to think that is another one on one matchup we have the advantage in. I actually think all our guys minus the centers have a chance to dominate their one on one matchup on offense, and that is the one part of this game being overlooked.

McGary reminds me of Jack Cooley a little. Great touch around the basket and motor always running. He doesn't scare me as much as the outside shooters Michigan has though. If they are knocking down 25'ers regularly, we will have problems. Making 3's would open the zone up for their forwards to score. Like others have said though, the game will be decided by how our offense does against their defense. Score 65 = Win...

Hate Jack Cooley, that guy lives solely on put bakc and tip shots. McGary is younger but more skilled. Put me in the group that would take McGary over Zeller as well.

I think the smart game plan for Syracuse is to test Mcgary early in the pick and roll with Mcw and Triche. Zeller was not able to help Indianas guards at all on the pick and roll and it burned them. Mcw and Triche got to the rim at will in that game, I would like to see a similar game plan Saturday. I also think cj has a huge matchup advantage. Glenn Robinson is lazy on defense, and I would have to think that is another one on one matchup we have the advantage in. I actually think all our guys minus the centers have a chance to dominate their one on one matchup on offense, and that is the one part of this game being overlooked.
Michigan switches alot.

I don't think Nik is a black man that plays for Syracuse.

Maybe you don't know Nik as well as you think?;)

Just giving a visual of what the corners look like. We close out well and trap well so I wouldn't recommend setting up shop there. Would be better served shotting 3's from the wings or dead set center if you can pick your way into it.

If Burke is guarding Triche, and Keita comes up and sets a screen I will take Brandon one on one against Mcgary all night, because he either is going to finish at the rim or get Mcgary in foul trouble.

Maybe you don't know Nik as well as you think?;)

Just giving a visual of what the corners look like. We close out well and trap well so I wouldn't recommend setting up shop there. Would be better served shotting 3's from the wings or dead set center if you can pick your way into it.
If a team knows what they are doing the corner will be open multiple times.

I understand what you're saying, but in JB's eyes, a 15 pt lead is an opportunity to win period, regardless of score. I'll take high point differentials in the reg season, but right now, just give me the win.

It's not really about point differentials as a stats. it's about getting a comfortable lead and still being comfortable as the game ends. Kansas found out what can happen if you try to coast vs. Trey Burke. They don't call him that for nothing. The primary cause of losing leads is when you stop scoring.

You'd think that but it really hasn't happened this year when CJ Fair and James Southerland are in the game. Even in our losses teams haven't beat us by shooting from the corners. What you'll more than likely get is blocks, tipped passes/steals, rushed shots over close outs, and long rebounds and run outs.

The issue is that the open guy in the corner will be the opposite side of the floor than the ball handler. You can't pass straight to him because of our height and by the time you make the 1 or 2 passes over to him he's no longer open.

This isn't a chest thumping post, we have just covered the corners well this year. It has been an issue in years past when we've had smaller or less mobile forwards. If you can get CJ or JS in foul trouble and on the bench you'll get Jerami Grant who is taller and more athletic but doesn't rotate as well in the zone yet at this point being a true frosh. That would be the time to test the corner theory honestly.

I think you have the shooters to potentially hurt us on the wings and straight on. No need to get cute and potentially turn it over vs just shoot. I would expect your gameplan to reflect that being that your coach wont be game planning on missing shots.

That's exactly the kind of philosophy that kills coaches against our zone, its not easy to get any open look period, especially against our length in the corners, I hope to god belien thinks that's the way to attack us

Whether it's T.J. Sorrentine, a bunch of random Notre Dame guards or Markel Starks, we usually get killed from outside when players start hitting ridiculous shots from well beyond NBA range. But more often than not, we tend to kill teams that use that as a strategy.

You can hit a bunch of threes early and think you've got the zone figured out, but then this happens: http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=230390277

You'd think that but it really hasn't happened this year when CJ Fair and James Southerland are in the game. Even in our losses teams haven't beat us by shooting from the corners. What you'll more than likely get is blocks, tipped passes/steals, rushed shots over close outs, and long rebounds and run outs.

The issue is that the open guy in the corner will be the opposite side of the floor than the ball handler. You can't pass straight to him because of our height and by the time you make the 1 or 2 passes over to him he's no longer open.

This isn't a chest thumping post, we have just covered the corners well this year. It has been an issue in years past when we've had smaller or less mobile forwards. If you can get CJ or JS in foul trouble and on the bench you'll get Jerami Grant who is taller and more athletic but doesn't rotate as well in the zone yet at this point being a true frosh. That would be the time to test the corner theory honestly.

I think you have the shooters to potentially hurt us on the wings and straight on. No need to get cute and potentially turn it over vs just shoot. I would expect your gameplan to reflect that being that your coach wont be game planning on missing shots.
Yeah, what he said.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Is there a way to "like" an entire thread? Because I like this thread.

And Michigantown - thanks for your insights, its good to read an honest discussion about how you think the Wolverines will match up with SU. Thanks man.

That's exactly the kind of philosophy that kills coaches against our zone, its not easy to get any open look period, especially against our length in the corners, I hope to god belien thinks that's the way to attack us
One of my favorite plays against a 2-3 ends up with a guy open in the corner who can either shoot it or pass to the player sealing on the block.

Whether it's T.J. Sorrentine, a bunch of random Notre Dame guards or Markel Starks, we usually get killed from outside when players start hitting ridiculous shots from well beyond NBA range. But more often than not, we tend to kill teams that use that as a strategy.

You can hit a bunch of threes early and think you've got the zone figured out, but then this happens: http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=230390277
Not playing the 14-15 West Virgina team .

One of my favorite plays against a 2-3 ends up with a guy open in the corner who can either shoot it or pass to the player sealing on the block.
Well you know more than Tom Crean, Kevin Willard, Ed Cooley, Mike Rice, Mick Cronin, Mike Brey and Mike Montgomery then.

So kudos to you, sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom