Syracuse-Nebraska 1984 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse-Nebraska 1984

Considering we lost this same game the year before 63-7, and we had lost the week before to Rutgers 19-0, probably not that surprising.

Lol, getting shut out by rutgers and beating the number 1 team in the nation in back to back weeks, the world will self destruct before that happens again

Last edited:
Considering we lost this same game the year before 63-7, and we had lost the week before to Rutgers 19-0, probably not that surprising.
I ,of course, was at the 19-0 game. I told people and they didn't believe me until after the Nebraska game, we dominated the 19-0 loss game. We kept driving the whole field only to turn it over in the red zone.

Last edited:
Boy has the world changed...

The "best" coach punts down two scores with 90 seconds left, then calls two TOs to extend the non-winnable game? This would be firable today. (and justifiably so)

Yeah, it was all meathead football. Geez, the Dome fans were booing Mac for not calling anything but off tackle plays and 2 receiver patterns where 8 guys stay back to block and Norley holds the ball for about 5 seconds on every play.

How did we watch football on TV without the score/clock/down and yards to go on the screen at all times?

To anyone who wants to knock the Dome: watch this video if you want to see “drab” and gray.

Amazing that in such a short time in history we went from a crowd that looks like this, to a crowd full of people with team gear on. What changed, and how did it take off so fast?

Mac looked like a million bucks in shirt and tie. Always liked that about him, and the only reason I kinda liked Al Golden is because it reminded me of the old Mac days.

What a day that was.

How about the guy that starts 12 yards back on the kick off....wow don't remember guys doing that back then...

How did we watch football on TV without the score/clock/down and yards to go on the screen at all times?

To anyone who wants to knock the Dome: watch this video if you want to see “drab” and gray.

Amazing that in such a short time in history we went from a crowd that looks like this, to a crowd full of people with team gear on. What changed, and how did it take off so fast?

Mac looked like a million bucks in shirt and tie. Always liked that about him, and the only reason I kinda liked Al Golden is because it reminded me of the old Mac days.

What a day that was.
The most shocking thing about the dome was that high school entrance running out through the birthday streamer tissues. Everything was so much simpler then. Loved the 80s.

But my gosh football was so one dimensional and boring back then. Seemed like both teams ran the same 2 or 3 plays. And waited about a minute between plays to huddle and discuss their dinner plans. What did fans do between plays when they couldn’t check their phones? Oh that’s right they didn’t have phones back then. Whether you’re old or not the changes in this sport are directly tied to ever shrinking attention spans of today’s world. I hope the dome renovations don’t turn the fan experience into an NBA stimulation fest.

Last edited:
Cuseregular enjoy Mike
Dude you're so funny to remember this, as I just told the story to my wife of how I've never seen this game and always wanted to watch it!

How I was playing myself that weekend and our program hadn't had a winning season in 20 years and that day we beat a team we hadn't beaten since 1903 on our way to our first ever championship season, anyway walking off the field my mother (who worked at the university, was the biggest SU fan ever, started me and our family on this Orange obsession of ours), anyway she tells me animated "Syracuse beat Nebraska!!", I remember in disbelief being more excited about the Cuse victory than our own, and there in full uniform after the biggest win in our own programs history to that point, me my mother and my father in Williamstown Mass, with word of this news group hugging jumping up and down for a bit celebrating.

As you look back on life you think of your all time best moments, and this is certainly one of them. Many many thanks to Chris lemoynecuse for somehow finding this. I know what I'm going to be doing the next three hours now before the Cuse hoops game later!

Some things of note: the “huge” all time great Nebraska OL averaged 260lbs all this according to the game announcer, Lol, marrones on the team and is getting smoked early on, Tim greens a beast, god bless him...more to come...

through the first qrtr and into the second I’d still not believe we’d win this game, unbalanced line - gone the way of the flying wedge, Curt Gowdy the legend on the call...

Harold Gayden “the legend of sleepy Hollow” looking like joe Morris with one of the best runs I’ve ever seen turning the big Mo in the game (for good I’d imagine?)...

Len Dawson another legend announcing with Gowdy, cool. Rathman back in after an obvious concussion?! No wonder there’s problems.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom