Syracuse-Notre Dame | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse-Notre Dame

NDIrish - not to get off the track of this week's game, but we seldom get many ND fans here. Where do you stand on the whole conference thing?

this is usually the point where great conversations go askew...
OK NDIrish, let's get down to business. The saying is you can ask a leprechaun for some of his gold and if he thinks it'd for something reasonable, he will give it to you. Can you see clear to giving Syracuse a fair chance to win this game, without any funny stuff. That's all we're asking for Mr. Leprechaun, a fairly officiated fight.

NDIrish - not to get off the track of this week's game, but we seldom get many ND fans here. Where do you stand on the whole conference thing?

Honestly, i like and hate it. I enjoy the changing schedule, the traveling they do and the variety of opponents. I think on an average year, our schedule is tougher then most, this year is an outlier. I think the last 2 years we played 10 bowl teams, 4-5 ranked. We get to play teams from the sec, pac 12, big ten and acc. But there are downfalls too, the travel wears on the team, no conference championship game, being different the everyone else. Since u don’t have that ccg, there is always a question of whether or not you deserve it, etc. ultimately, I am fine if they stay independent, but realize that may cost them in certain years. So u take the good with the bad, i don’t want to hear complaining when it costs them. But I don’t get hung up on the 13th game because I believe their 12 match up with most teams 13. If they were to joking the acc one day, I would be fine with that too. I don’t think they get any special treatment though. Even in a down year, this year they will have played division champs from both groups of the big ten and division winner Pitt, typically usc/Stanford are in the game too.

Sometimes it would just be easier if they joined though.

Sorry for being all over the place, in my phone, harder to put together coherent thoughts haha.

OK NDIrish, let's get down to business. The saying is you can ask a leprechaun for some of his gold and if he thinks it'd for something reasonable, he will give it to you. Can you see clear to giving Syracuse a fair chance to win this game, without any funny stuff. That's all we're asking for Mr. Leprechaun, a fairly officiated fight.

I absolutely give Syracuse a fair chance to win this game, no doubt about it. I mean ND should be favored, but you can’t ignore what SU has done. There offense is legit.

Now fairly officiated... that’s another story, haha. I rarely cry about the refs, but they have been garbage at home games this year. I always say u see 75% of the missed calls on your team and 10% of the missed calls by your team. But this has been so bad, our d line getting tackled and closed lined and nothing... we had a play where a guy got held by 3 different people. I can’t really speak for calls Nd is getting that they shouldn’t, but there have been a ton missed.

I have noticed some missed calls against ND, but not as blatant. Hopefully the refs are ready to roll Saturday.

I absolutely give Syracuse a fair chance to win this game, no doubt about it. I mean ND should be favored, but you can’t ignore what SU has done. There offense is legit.

Now fairly officiated... that’s another story, haha. I rarely cry about the refs, but they have been garbage at home games this year. I always say u see 75% of the missed calls on your team and 10% of the missed calls by your team. But this has been so bad, our d line getting tackled and closed lined and nothing... we had a play where a guy got held by 3 different people. I can’t really speak for calls Nd is getting that they shouldn’t, but there have been a ton missed.

I have noticed some missed calls against ND, but not as blatant. Hopefully the refs are ready to roll Saturday.
acc refs are garbage

Don't get your hopes up. ACC refs are somewhere between hot garbage and outdoor concert porta-john stench after 3 days in the sun.

Whether or not you win this game against Syracuse(I think not), USC is going to be very dangerous for Notre Dame and could easily play out of their minds to beat you guys.

USC is a dumpster fire right now. Helton is on his way out.

Cant argue with the special teams, definitely give the check mark to SU there. im hoping that ND's speed at DB's will help bc i haven't seen very many times they get beat deep, its usually underneath and crossing routes. From what i saw so far in the NC state game, alot of their TD's came off of deep balls, ND is strong there. I think to score you really are going to have to drive it against them, which i think SU is capable of.

Notre dame is pretty good 2 deep at DL, i think this will help tremendously in this game, going ot have to keep guys fresh. Niles Morgan and dru tranquil are use to playing 95% of the snaps in a game.

I think u meant Te'von Coney and not Morgan.

I think u meant Te'von Coney and not Morgan.

wow... don't know where that came from.. of course Coney.. whats odd about that mistake is that i was never impressed with morgan, not really sure why i said him.. but o well, yes, Te'von Coney.

For SU to win, I think the SU D has to play their best game of the year. No wide open receivers or missed tackles or blown assignments. This is going to be one tough offense for the D Saturday matchup wise. Have to keep ND's 3rd down rate low and more importantly...get them to a 3rd down.

Curious if there is going to be any wind since it's suppose to be 45 degrees or so. A stiff wind is where ED helps and hurts. Helps because he's a heck of a runner and can move the chains by running and hurts because of his arm strength. I can't express how much I'd love to see the SU OL plow the field and open holes for the ground game.

No matter what happens in this game, it will help the players and staff to get acclimated to playing in the outside/cold for the BC game.

For SU to win, I think the SU D has to play their best game of the year. No wide open receivers or missed tackles or blown assignments. This is going to be one tough offense for the D Saturday matchup wise. Have to keep ND's 3rd down rate low and more importantly...get them to a 3rd down.

Curious if there is going to be any wind since it's suppose to be 45 degrees or so. A stiff wind is where ED helps and hurts. Helps because he's a heck of a runner and can move the chains by running and hurts because of his arm strength. I can't express how much I'd love to see the SU OL plow the field and open holes for the ground game.

No matter what happens in this game, it will help the players and staff to get acclimated to playing in the outside/cold for the BC game.

i dont think syracuse has to be perfect, but they need to survive the waves. ND has a tendency to play teh 1st quarter really really well, then have a let down in the 2nd. Then they come out playing really well for about half of the 3rd and then have a let down stretch. The 4th quarter is always a toss up. So survive the surges and take advantage when ND takes a break.

i dont think syracuse has to be perfect, but they need to survive the waves. ND has a tendency to play teh 1st quarter really really well, then have a let down in the 2nd. Then they come out playing really well for about half of the 3rd and then have a let down stretch. The 4th quarter is always a toss up. So survive the surges and take advantage when ND takes a break.

I'm not saying perfect...that's almost or is impossible. Just the best they have all year and for 4 FULL quarters..

Looks like both teams will have their "lapse" times and it'll be interesting to see who takes advantage as you wrote. Probably will make the difference.

As far as individual players (outside of QB), what is Syracuse biggest threat on offense/defense and biggest liability?

As far as individual players (outside of QB), what is Syracuse biggest threat on offense/defense and biggest liability?
On O, I would say biggest threat is the vertical passing game. If the ball is getting out quickly and we're completing shots down field for big chunks you're pretty much toast. Biggest liability (aside from QB consistency in the passing game) is the play of the receivers. Lots of young guys in the mix and older key players (Custis) have been wildly inconsistent. They haven't handled tough physical corners very well at all this year and of they dont come to play and win contested catches we're in trouble.

On D the line has been the clear strength this year although they've underperformed against the run, imo. Liabilities are a mixed bag. Earlier in the year I would not hesitate to say our linebackers. But they have steadily improved throughout the year and Guthrie, starting mike, has really stepped up the last few games and is playing at a very high level. We've had some injuries in the secondary that have hurt, and coupled with some youth (true frosh starting FS Cisco and CB/Star Williams) they have been less than stellar, especially in run support. Some of the zone coverages have been pretty leaky too and it's clear they are struggling with the speed and anticipation needed to make it really work.

Since Syracuse spreads the ball around so much in its passing game I don’t think I could pinpoint any one receiver as being our biggest threat. They are very varied in their skill sets. With the run game it’s the same. We have three capable backs all with somewhat different skill sets and all capable of playing well.

On defense, Syracuse is very opportunistic but especially so with their d line. We have a knack for getting qbs off their game and they tend to get hit a lot even if not sacked.

Liability wise, I would say our run defense and again no one individual player. I realize you were looking for specific players but in Syracuse’s favor, we are very much a team in the true sense of the word. We will go as dungey goes though although our backup quarterback if called upon is very capable but very young.

Hey guys, thanks for the conversations this week! good luck and safe travels if you are going. Looking forward to a great game. Let me know if you have any final questions.

Go Irish!

ND - 34
Syracuse - 20

Since Syracuse spreads the ball around so much in its passing game I don’t think I could pinpoint any one receiver as being our biggest threat. They are very varied in their skill sets. With the run game it’s the same. We have three capable backs all with somewhat different skill sets and all capable of playing well.

On defense, Syracuse is very opportunistic but especially so with their d line. We have a knack for getting qbs off their game and they tend to get hit a lot even if not sacked.

Liability wise, I would say our run defense and again no one individual player. I realize you were looking for specific players but in Syracuse’s favor, we are very much a team in the true sense of the word. We will go as dungey goes though although our backup quarterback if called upon is very capable but very young.

I would add that our DL tends to beat up on QBs rather viciously. I know they've put a few out of commission over the past few years.

Hey guys, thanks for the conversations this week! good luck and safe travels if you are going. Looking forward to a great game. Let me know if you have any final questions.

Go Irish!

ND - 34
Syracuse - 20
The Orange haven't got beat that bad in 2 years when the team was at full strength. And 6 of those games were on the road against strong teams and real powers. I don't believe the Orange are afraid of the Irish one bit. In fact, I'm sensing some deep concern coming from South Bend.

The Orange haven't got beat that bad in 2 years when the team was at full strength. And 6 of those games were on the road against strong teams and real powers. I don't believe the Orange are afraid of the Irish one bit. In fact, I'm sensing some deep concern coming from South Bend.

i dont expect them to be afraid, just a thought, i kinda see it playing out like this:

1Q 2Q 3Q 4A
ND 14 3 7 10
SY 3 10 0 7

There is deep concern come from SB residents, not the team. I think they will be dialed in and ready for a tough game. I full expect them to jump out early, and then settle in for a tough battle, the last TD coming late to seal it. 1 score game at half time. ND is strongest in first and 3 quarters.

i dont expect them to be afraid, just a thought, i kinda see it playing out like this:

1Q 2Q 3Q 4A
ND 14 3 7 10
SY 3 10 0 7

There is deep concern come from SB residents, not the team. I think they will be dialed in and ready for a tough game. I full expect them to jump out early, and then settle in for a tough battle, the last TD coming late to seal it. 1 score game at half time. ND is strongest in first and 3 quarters.
We're not going to be intimidated in the first quarter like the rest of the teams you've played who are having mediocre seasons. The Orange are looking to do the intimidating. Our o-line is a very physical and talented unit and they are going to come at your QB like nothing they've seen this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom