Syracuse-Notre Dame | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse-Notre Dame

We're not going to be intimidated in the first quarter like the rest of the teams you've played who are having mediocre seasons. The Orange are looking to do the intimidating. Our o-line is a very physical and talented unit and they are going to come at your QB like nothing they've seen this year.

Our O-line is going to go at the QB? I hope not...that might be a penalty.

We're not going to be intimidated in the first quarter like the rest of the teams you've played who are having mediocre seasons. The Orange are looking to do the intimidating. Our o-line is a very physical and talented unit and they are going to come at your QB like nothing they've seen this year.

I am sure your D line is very good and there is no disrespect here, but I am just some guy sitting at a computer, my opinion doesn't mean anything, but book gets rid of the ball very quickly and i think they are going to set up plays to protect him, which means fast passes and lots of running. Syracuase is 69th in the country in run defense. Notre Dame may have faced some weaker teams, but there are still some teams in there with good defensive lines. Michigan, FSU, northwestern, stanford, my guess is, Kelly will try and exploit that.

i dont think its going to have to do anything with intimidation. very few teams are intimidated by ND. In 6 out of 10 games this year, ND has scored multiple times (either FGs or TD) in the first quarter. I expect them to try and hit you quickly, they may fail, but hey, trying to be optimistic.

I am sure your D line is very good and there is no disrespect here, but I am just some guy sitting at a computer, my opinion doesn't mean anything, but book gets rid of the ball very quickly and i think they are going to set up plays to protect him, which means fast passes and lots of running. Syracuase is 69th in the country in run defense. Notre Dame may have faced some weaker teams, but there are still some teams in there with good defensive lines. Michigan, FSU, northwestern, stanford, my guess is, Kelly will try and exploit that.

i dont think its going to have to do anything with intimidation. very few teams are intimidated by ND. In 6 out of 10 games this year, ND has scored multiple times (either FGs or TD) in the first quarter. I expect them to try and hit you quickly, they may fail, but hey, trying to be optimistic.
Come on ND, most teams see those gold helmets and hear your song and that's worth some points right there. They are in awe. We also scored fast and early in all of our games.

Come on ND, most teams see those gold helmets and hear your song and that's worth some points right there. They are in awe. We also scored fast and early in all of our games.

given that in the last 5 years we have lost to duke, vt, nc state, northwestern Louisville, pitt, etc... there is no intimidation factor because they are ND. If people are, its because they are a better team, but not because of any ND lore

im not trying to undersell ND, but syrcause is a legit good team, they should not be intimidated.

the real question is how healthy is book? Even if he gets the ball out quick hes going to take a pounding

i expect this game to be a riley game through the air

I think having Riley and Nykeim as good screen pass guys has really helped open up the run game this year. Spread them out and then send the RBs through the middle. Seems to work best with Neal because he hits the hole with so much speed.

I think having Riley and Nykeim as good screen pass guys has really helped open up the run game this year. Spread them out and then send the RBs through the middle. Seems to work best with Neal because he hits the hole with so much speed.

along with oline being better

along with oline being better

That's also true. It's nice being able to run screens effectively though. We end up getting a lot of 4-7 yard gains out of them which helps open up the middle of the field for the run game. I'm not really sure why we never throw over the middle of the field this season though. It was very effective with guys like Estime and Erv, but we don't seem to utilize it much this year. Not sure if it's a scheme thing, a Dungey vision thing or just a weakness with our current WRs.

That's also true. It's nice being able to run screens effectively though. We end up getting a lot of 4-7 yard gains out of them which helps open up the middle of the field for the run game. I'm not really sure why we never throw over the middle of the field this season though. It was very effective with guys like Estime and Erv, but we don't seem to utilize it much this year. Not sure if it's a scheme thing, a Dungey vision thing or just a weakness with our current WRs.

im going c

Hey guys, just wanted to give a quick followup. First, thanks again for the chat last week and good luck the rest of the year. I tried to follow the gameday thread while the game was going on and did a quick look through this morning to try and see how the fan base was feeling. Obviously, i am very excited for ND, but i hope that nothing i am saying here comes off as bragging or rubbing it your faces or anything like that. SU fought hard during the game, and i really think you guys have had a great year. I mean, 2 of your 3 losses are to the #2 and #3 teams in the country right now, and your 3rd is playing in the conference championship game. Really good wins over Wake and NC State and if you take care of BC, a really nice bowl game should be coming your way.

Obviously the injury to Dunjey was huge - hopefully he is able to bounce back and play this week. Its weird when they ran that play, i was literately thinking as he got tackled, man it would really stink for SU if he got hurt on one of these QB runs, then bam he goes down. To me, it wasn't clear if the injury happened during the tackle, or just moved wrong after. But either way, injuries are awful. I was EXTREMELY disappointed when i saw our DE, #44 Jamir Jones clap when Donjey fell to the ground (not sure if you noticed or not). i am hoping he did not understand the situation happening, but when i player falls like that, im not sure what else he could be thinking. I thought that was a disgusting act and not a good representation of the players on this team. I almost didn't bring that up incase it went unnoticed because i didn't want to give any additional negative thoughts on ND to SU, but that was a classless act and i hate that kind of stuff. He is not a person that plays very much, he didn't even play in 5 and didn't record any stats in 2 others. I did not notice if he played much after that, so my apologizes on that.

I do think you guys have a really good staff and hope it doesn't get picked apart in the offseason. Despite the appearance on how well ND played, they really did not perform well in the redzone. I mean, SU held them pretty well early given the situations they were put by the offense. A couple plays go differently and thats a ball game. I was happy to see Book bounce back though.

I was a little perplexed by the play calling in the second half, it seemed wildly inconsistent and maybe that was just the combination of a freshman QB and being behind like that. I just couldn't tell if you were trying to run the ball and get some points, or air it out to see if you could get back in the game.

The reffing was awful, but i guess that is the standard for this year. Blatant holding calls missed. obviously i noticed them more when ND was the one being held, but i noticed a few on ND missed to. I remember on one of the sacks, the SU lineman had is arm like around the guys neck from behind, luckily he was still able to break through, but come on... I think the strip of Book definitely should have been looked at. The ball was obviously out before he went out of bounds, what i couldn't tell was if the SU defender had complete possession before he stepped out. Either-way, they should have looked at it. And i say this nowing that some will think its just ND getting advantages from the refs, but i can tell you that is not the case, its just poor refereeing.

I could ramble on for awhile about the ins and outs of the game, but i think you guys have digested it enough and are ready to move on to BC.

Good luck the rest of the year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom