Class of 2014 - Syracuse offers Theo Pinson | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Syracuse offers Theo Pinson

He's from Greensboro, playing in the ACC might be a huge factor. Looks like ESPN rates him as the #1 player in the 2014 class. Would be a great get, but it will be hard to pry him away from Duke/ UNC/ NC State.

Will be a very tough get, but recruiting down there will deff pick up with the move.

You would have to think that the staff believes they have a shot, if the are expending resources to recruit the kid. I kept seeing SU as one of his schools, but never thought there was a shot. Am I crazy to think there is a chance? And I know the Dumb and Dumber line is coming?

The staff have been interested in him since last spring. As others above said, think it'll be tough to get him away from the Carolina schools.

Maybe Pinson will pull a Jameson Curry and Duke and UNC will back off.

You would have to think that the staff believes they have a shot, if the are expending resources to recruit the kid. I kept seeing SU as one of his schools, but never thought there was a shot. Am I crazy to think there is a chance? And I know the Dumb and Dumber line is coming?

Could also be that they want their name associated with top players in NC regardless of whether they think they can pull him in.

FWIW, Rivals has him as "High" interest in Duke. Don't know how up to date that is.

Yeah, I didn't think of that. Kind of get the ball rolling toward recruiting NC.

FWIW, Rivals has him as "High" interest in Duke. Don't know how up to date that is.
I generally take more from Scout than Rivals, but yes he's a Carolina kid so it would be tough to pull him from there.

One of the good things about being ACC. Kids will get to get way away from home to one of the best basketball programs in the corners of the US. Then the ones from the southeast will have 7-8 chances to be watched by family during road games. Love that fact.

Same source says we are also interested in JaQuel Richmond (a 4 star PG prospect), also from Wesleyan Christian, NC. Looks like we are recruiting kids on tobacco road now.

The the unc board
Re: Theo Pinson

I seen him play back at thanksgiving... Keep in mind this was awhile ago. The kid can simply jump out of the gym. He can really shoot the ball. And shoot well from 3. His team was kinda struggling middle way through the 2nd quarter and he just took over...he had several big time dunks, made 4 3's and played decent "d"... keep in mind he was just a sophomore..he seemed a bit taller than 6'4" and does need to add a few pounds...but he's super athletic and gets up and down the floor well. Overall i was impressed especially considering he was only 15 yrs old... He will be a monster in two years and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't end up at oak hill or somewhere playing top notch competition every night. I would love to see him in Carolina blue but don't think it's going to happen.

As much as I hope I'm wrong, I think recruiting in NC is going to be VERY difficult.

It's a much more extreme version of our situation Upstate.
We pretty much have always gotten the Upstate recruits we've pursued, with Sam Perkins probably being the big one that got away.

But our hold on Upstate recruits is nothing like the hold UNC, Duke (and to a lesser degree) NC State & Wake have on the top NC kids.
Playing for those teams is what they live for.
I lived in Durham for a few years.
It seems inconceivable that we'd really have anything to offer NC kids that they wouldn't think is better on their home turf.
Everything from our program to the weather to our campus (I've never been to Wake, but the other 3 are much nicer than SU).

Again...I'd love to be proven wrong on this.

As much as I hope I'm wrong, I think recruiting in NC is going to be VERY difficult.

We pretty much have always gotten the Upstate recruits we've pursued, with Sam Perkins probably being the big one that got away.

But our hold on Upstate recruits is nothing like the hold UNC, Duke (and to a lesser degree) NC State & Wake have on the top NC kids.
It seems inconceivable that we'd really have anything to offer NC kids that they wouldn't think is better on their home turf.
Everything from our program to the weather to our campus (I've never been to Wake, but the other 3 are much nicer than SU).

only one way to find out

I do know one thing, 100% of recruits you do not go after do not come

only one way to find out

images

John Wall

I'm a NC native and will disagree a little. With Autry on the staff now, we have a decent connection. I see 2 NC natives on Duke, and there are more on UNC only two of them really played. JMO and I know it's only 1 year of rosters.

John Wall

I'm a NC native and will disagree a little. With Autry on the staff now, we have a decent connection. I see 2 NC natives on Duke, and there are more on UNC only two of them really played. JMO and I know it's only 1 year of rosters.

only one way to find out

I'm with you both. Plus, there is the air of competing on a competitors home turf that adds legitimacy and brand to our program, helping as well when we go after other players from other geographic areas that UNC and DUKE want. NCSU is turning around nicely, or so it appears. We should be able to beat WFU out for hoops recruits are fair share of times. Throw your hat in and see what happens.

I'm with you both. Plus, there is the air of competing on a competitors home turf that adds legitimacy and brand to our program, helping as well when we go after other players from other geographic areas that UNC and DUKE want. NCSU is turning around nicely, or so it appears. We should be able to beat WFU out for hoops recruits are fair share of times. Throw your hat in and see what happens.
I'm not saying we shouldn't go after recruits we want in NC or anywhere else.
I am saying that it's going to be very difficult to win those battles in NC if we're up against any of the local ACC schools.

In addition, there's a cultural factor that we've never experienced that will hinder recruiting there.
We are leaving a conference that we helped originate and build into a power for one in which we are going to be viewed as an outsider.
It's like the SAT question: which does not belong in the group.
The answer is going to be SU (and Pitt and BC).

I'm not saying we shouldn't go after recruits we want in NC or anywhere else.
I am saying that it's going to be very difficult to win those battles in NC if we're up against any of the local ACC schools.

In addition, there's a cultural factor that we've never experienced that will hinder recruiting there.
We are leaving a conference that we helped originate and build into a power for one in which we are going to be viewed as an outsider.
It's like the SAT question: which does not belong in the group.
The answer is going to be SU (and Pitt and BC).

I agree with you on that. It will be very difficult. No doubt the ACC is NC centric. Marylands been angry about that for 50 years.

I agree with you on that. It will be very difficult. No doubt the ACC is NC centric. Marylands been angry about that for 50 years.
How long can the NC-centric stuff last, however? They're now outnumbered by the non-NC schools by a large margin.

How long can the NC-centric stuff last, however? They're now outnumbered by the non-NC schools by a large margin.

Let's hope not long, but my fear is that it will always be a NC conference. Would help to get a ND and another northern school though.

Nothing against North Carolina basketball, but I think we could do well and have done well recruiting the northeast ...mid atlantic and to a lesser degree the upper midwest. What the heck..throw in Canada.

Lots of good players in areas where we've been strong in the past. NC would be a nice addition, but it's not crucial.

Will be a very tough get, but recruiting down there will deff pick up with the move.
not to worried about recruiting down there---we do well with our recruiting base that is much better than down there--it will enhance our already presence in d.c. and baltimore though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom