Syracuse pitcher Jen Caira named 3rd team All-American | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse pitcher Jen Caira named 3rd team All-American

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
rp_primary_Caira_vs._Cal2.jpg

Even though she is Canadian;)

Congratulations to Jen and the SU softball team who helped her earn that honor. I hope Syracuse can one day find another pitcher who will represent the university in the classy way JC did.

Jen finished her home career at SU with a spectacular no hitter against World Series participant the South Florida Bulls. Caira also no hit Rutgers at home this season. She finished her career as as one of only 65 pitchers in NCAA history with over 1000 strikeouts.

In the NCAA's a couple of weeks ago held in Tempe, she shutout another World Series team, the defending national champion Arizona State Sun Devils, 1-0. She limited one of the top offenses in all of college softball to 4 hits. The Sun Devils averaged over 7 runs a game this season playing in the toughest conference in America.

Caira's go to pitch is the change up, which has been called perhaps the best in the country by commentators during the NCAA's.

Jen's shortstop, CNS product, Morgan Nandin is as good a SS as there is in the nation. She made three head turning plays in the regional's. One play in particular probably saved the tying run in that 1-0 win over ASU. She went behind second base, made a back handed stop of a sure single and all in one motion with her momentum carrying her towards right field she threw a backward strike to force the third out at second. ASU softball coach Clint Myers pays respect to the play at the 58 second mark of this post game tape. Mind you he has coached and played against some of the best shortstops in the nation.

Next year, with some improvement at the plate, perhaps Morgan will gain All American status. Her fielding is second to none. I wonder if she ever tried batting lefty? With her speed she would get a lot of base hits by becoming a slap and go hitter.

Back in February in this daily article I mentioned both players and urged you to check them out.

SU starts up again in the fall where they play a reduced schedule and get a look at players, including freshmen, who hope to fill the void left by graduating seniors, LF-Lisaira Daniels, C-Lacy Kohls, 1B-Kelly Saco, 2B-Stephanie Watts and of course Jen Caira.

Caira Named Third Team All-American

I have worked up a preview of the classes of 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 if any one is interested.

Jen Caira is a wonderful person. Great pitcher, but more importantly a class A individual.

She took time after games, in between and after interviews to spend time with my daughter. Jen would talk with her as she worked on her throwing and running around the infield. It really meant a great deal to me and my daughter who is just starting to play organized ball.

I wish her all the best in whatever she pursues and I know she will be a tremendous success.

Don't we have a Top 10 pitcher coming out of California?

OE, you missed Kelly Saco has a lost sr. I know Kelly didn't make a good sr season but she was a 4 year starter and she is pretty cute. OE, I am interested in what kind of recruiting class the orange reeled in.

Don't we have a Top 10 pitcher coming out of California?
You are probably referring to Christina Clermont, San Marcos, HS, San Diego, CA. but she is class of 2013.

The top ten pitcher quote came from her coach:

“She’s probably one of the top 10 pitchers for her age in the country,” said her coach, Brant Beddow, who is also Clermont’s coach on her club team, the SoCal Breakers. “Before she played a high school game last year as a freshman, she went 32-2 at age 14 playing against 17- and 18-year-olds.”

If any one is interested I can give you the whole run down on recruting.

OE, you missed Kelly Saco has a lost sr. I know Kelly didn't make a good sr season but she was a 4 year starter and she is pretty cute. OE, I am interested in what kind of recruiting class the orange reeled in.
At the end of the year Kelly wasn't starting that's why I forgot to include her. She is one of my favorite players too. Saco was the hitting hero in Jen's no hitter against Rutgers. She hit a dramatic walk off, line drive homerun in the bottom of the 7th to give SU a 1-0 win. The best part of that is her parents were up from Florida and got to witness that shinning moment.

Kelly did the splits at first and stole some outs for her infielders. Despite the fact she lost her starting job she remained a positive force on the team. In 2011 she had about 10 HR's but couldn't find that stroke this season. Kelly Saco will be a success in anything she under takes.

I'll get a recruiting report up a little later.

rp_primary_Caira_vs._Cal2.jpg

Even though she is Canadian;)

Congratulations to Jen and the SU softball team who helped her earn that honor. I hope Syracuse can one day find another pitcher who will represent the university in the classy way JC did.

Jen finished her home career at SU with a spectacular no hitter against World Series participant the South Florida Bulls. Caira also no hit Rutgers at home this season. She finished her career as as one of only 65 pitchers in NCAA history with over 1000 strikeouts.

In the NCAA's a couple of weeks ago held in Tempe, she shutout another World Series team, the defending national champion Arizona State Sun Devils, 1-0. She limited one of the top offenses in all of college softball to 4 hits. The Sun Devils averaged over 7 runs a game this season playing in the toughest conference in America.

Caira's go to pitch is the change up, which has been called perhaps the best in the country by commentators during the NCAA's.

Jen's shortstop, CNS product, Morgan Nandin is as good a SS as there is in the nation. She made three head turning plays in the regional's. One play in particular probably saved the tying run in that 1-0 win over ASU. She went behind second base, made a back handed stop of a sure single and all in one motion with her momentum carrying her towards right field she threw a backward strike to force the third out at second. ASU softball coach Clint Myers pays respect to the play at the 58 second mark of this post game tape. Mind you he has coached and played against some of the best shortstops in the nation.

Next year, with some improvement at the plate, perhaps Morgan will gain All American status. Her fielding is second to none. I wonder if she ever tried batting lefty? With her speed she would get a lot of base hits by becoming a slap and go hitter.

Back in February in this daily article I mentioned both players and urged you to check them out.

SU starts up again in the fall where they play a reduced schedule and get a look at players, including freshmen, who hope to fill the void left by graduating seniors, LF-Lisaira Daniels, C-Lacy Kohls, 1B-Kelly Saco, 2B-Stephanie Watts and of course Jen Caira.

Caira Named Third Team All-American

I have worked up a preview of the classes of 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 if any one is interested.
Congratulations to Jen, who is a great player and a better person. She makes me proud to be a fan of the Orangewomen!

cheering for daughters or nieces I hope -- otherwise middle-aged men with binoculars at a women's softball event sounds a bit odd.

So, we're not allowed to watch women's sports?

cheering for daughters or nieces I hope -- otherwise middle-aged men with binoculars at a women's softball event sounds a bit odd.

Yes, how unmanly. If the men were younger then their intentions would obviously be pristine. Or of course we all know why women really watch when observing male sporting events. Not mentioning the oddity of men cheering on other males... So you watch softball games (obviously men not women) with binoculars?? No one else mentioned binoculars. Hmm - yes that is odd.:rolleyes:

As far as I know there are no sources for woman's softball rankings and data like there is for men's basketball & football. I have compiled this information from here & there and to the best of my knowledge it's accurate. If any one knows of a Rivals, Scout or 247 Sports like site for softball please provide a link. There are web sites where players can list themselves for recruting purposes but I'm looking for independant ranking services.

There isn't a ton of 2012 information on the players.

The Class of 2012 looks like a seven player class. There are three pitchers, one from Illinios another from Iowa and what appears to be a walkon from Fulton NY.

There is a combo 1b/c from Illinios, a second baseman from Rochester, NY, two shortstops, one from Pa the other the daughter of a former SU football player from the Southern Tier.

Class of 2012

P Danielle Chitkowski
Glenbard South HS, Glen Ellyn, Ill

341995clid.jpg

Hailing from Glen Ellyn, Ill., Chitkowski is a dual threat in the circle and in the field. She was her conference’s MVP and an all-state selection in 2011.
Throughout her high school career, Chitkowski threw four no-hitters for Glenbard South, and led the Raiders to three conference and three regional championships. She holds the single-season record for homeruns and runs scored at Glenbard.

Chitkowski has pitched ten no-hitters for her travel team (Glen Ellyn Phillies), which won the 2009 USSSA “A” World Series in Orlando, Fla. She was voted to the All-World Series Team for her efforts.

a763b9789a96ac72b7de61fd1c657030

Danielle Chitkowski is one of the Raiders' leading hitters

Video

Softball spotlight's on Glenbard South's Danielle Chitkowski

Some of her 2012 game capsules

P Kendall Bosch
Estherville Lincoln Central, Estherville, Iowa

506167_1.jpg

A native of Estherville, Iowa, Bosch is a three-time all-conference pitcher for Estherville Lincoln Central and led her team to a conference championship last season.

Bosch is a three sport athlete with letters in basketball and swimming, along with softball. She is a member of the National Honors Society and is her class Valedictorian.

“How cool is it that Kendall can play for her Dad. She is a phenomenal student as well and I am happy for her and her whole family that she can continue her career at Syracuse.”(Quote from SUA)

The following is from 2008:

Freshman Kendall Bosch faced just three batters over the minimum in the Class 3A first-round playoff pairing, allowing one run on two hits and striking out six.

The two hits off of Bosch were Spencer's only two shots to reach the outfield grass. Bosch induced 12 ground ball outs and three infield fly outs.
SDR

513645_1.jpg

EDN photo by David Swartz July 14, 2011

ELC pitcher Kendall Bosch and catcher Morgan Schichtl celebrate qualifying for the state tournament. Bosch threw a near-perfect game allowing just one hit.
Article

C/1B Ellie Forkin
Sanburg HS Orland Il

The Eagles' Meghan McPolin (right) throws the ball to Ellie Forkin (left). Sandburg lost 4-1 to Lincoln Way-East on Wednesday, April 25.

Junior Ellie Forkin brought in all three runs, including the game-winner in the bottom of the seventh on a bloop single to right off junior starter Kelsey Reed. That scored junior Candice Koch, who was hit by a pitch to start the inning.

The Maroons (1-2) led 2-1 until the bottom of the fifth when Forkin hit a sacrifice fly that scored Koch, who reached on an error. Forkin had five hits on the day while Koch scored four runs and added a home run, two hits and a pair of RBIs in the nightcap.

“I think everyone is going to underestimate us and I think we know that and understand that,” Forkin said. “The passion on this team is amazing this year.”

The top newcomer to watch is junior catcher/first baseman Ellie Forkin, who’s committed to Syracuse.
3. Sandburg

2B Riley Johnson
Greece Athena, Rochester NY

riley.bmp

Johnson played her high school ball for Greece Athens in Rochester, N.Y. A six year starter and a two-time team MVP, Johnson was named the 2011 Class AA Player of the Year. While at Greece, Johnson hit .404 for her career and batted an impressive .514 with 25 RBI in 2011.

Johnson is also a member of the National Honor Society and is on the Student Council. First Team All-County as a Seventh-grader.

Riley Johnson Softball Skills Video 2012

Video about her shoulder injury which forced her to give up pitching

20111116-153034.jpg

"Congratulations to Senior Riley Johnson for recently signing her national letter of intent to play softball for Syracuse University. This is awesome. If you see Riley in the halls make sure you let her know we are proud."

SS Elyssa LeBaron
Corning HS Corning NY

g26c2e2000000000000c93cd62887b0ba3e00a211dac9d58f8637cb98c1.jpg

Elyssa was 5-10 as an 8th grader

LaBaron is a five year varsity starter at shortstop and a first-team all-conference selection in all five of those years. The Elmira, N.Y. native hit four career walk-off homeruns and recorded 32 stolen bases in 2011.

LaBaron was also a member of the NSA, ASA and PONY NYS title winning teams during travel ball. In 2007, she was the NSA National Qualifier MVP for hitting .455 with three homeruns and 18 stolen bases.

Elyssa LeBaron with mom, sister & dad Brian who played football for SU

LeBaron signs to play softball at Syracuse University - Corning, NY ... 11/15/11

SS Corinne Ozanne
Southern Lehigh HS, Center Valley, PA

163463clid.jpg

Ozanne was a four year starter for Southern Lehigh and the team MVP in 2011. She guided her team to the Colonial League Championship while earning Lehigh Valley Player of the Year.

The Allentown, Pa. native is the school record holder for homeruns, batting average, on base percentage, walks and stolen bases. She also holds the record for most RBI’s in a single game

Caught this Feb 09, 2012 :

"Then there is Southern Lehigh, which has lost senior Corinne Ozanne for the rest of the season with a torn ACL. A Division I softball recruit headed to Syracuse, she missed all of last season with knee problems.

The Spartans are perhaps the deepest team in the league, but they miss Ozanne's athleticism and ability to pressure the ball."
TMC

Here's more bad news on this recruit

Corinne Ozanne, one of the best softball players in the school's proud history on the diamond, signed to accept a scholarship at Syracuse.

Ozanne has had to battle major injuries in their career. In fact, Ozanne is dealing with a most recent blow that knocked her out of her senior basketball and softball seasons.

"Right now, I'm on my third knee injury after tearing my ACL two weeks ago," Ozanne said. "I missed the last seven games of my basketball season and will miss the entire softball season. It's tough. It happened in a game against Wilson. But going through this teaches you discipline and how to overcome injuries.

"Syracuse is going to stick with me. They wanted me to play basketball this past season."

Ozanne, who was The Morning Call's co-player of the year last season in softball even though she missed a handful of games, said she will still be around the team this spring as much as possible.

"I'll do whatever I can," she said. "I can't practice. I can't do controlled hitting for about 31/2 months, but I will do what I can to help out. I'll be there for support and try to give my knowledge to the other girls."

Ozanne said it's going to be difficult to have to sit and watch.

"Especially since it's my senior year," she said. "Senior Night for basketball was probably the hardest. I haven't made it through a whole basketball season since my freshman year."
TMC

Skills Video

SS Elyssa LeBaron
Corning HS Corning NY

g26c2e2000000000000c93cd62887b0ba3e00a211dac9d58f8637cb98c1.jpg

Elyssa was 5-10 as an 8th grader

LaBaron is a five year varsity starter at shortstop and a first-team all-conference selection in all five of those years. The Elmira, N.Y. native hit four career walk-off homeruns and recorded 32 stolen bases in 2011.

LaBaron was also a member of the NSA, ASA and PONY NYS title winning teams during travel ball. In 2007, she was the NSA National Qualifier MVP for hitting .455 with three homeruns and 18 stolen bases.

Elyssa LeBaron with mom, sister & dad Brian who played football for SU

LeBaron signs to play softball at Syracuse University - Corning, NY ... 11/15/11
great work OE. I hope Blue Curtain approves.

P Lindsey Larkin
Fulton HS, Fulton NY

3230-5281-Lindsey-TC-Tremors-Gold-Softball-018.JPG

Larkin is a native of Fulton, N.Y. and is a two-time all-league performer for the Fulton Raiders. In 2011, Larkin hit an astonishing .700 before suffering an ankle injury and was named Athlete of the Week by three different media outlets on three separate occasions.

“Lindsey throws and bats left handed so that can help us,” Ross said. “She is a super hard working kid and she will inspire other girls to work as hard as she does.
CNY Central Athlete: Lindsey Larkin

Video

CNY Central Athlete of the Week (5/12/11)

Lindsey Larkin earned the honor of being this week's Bryant and Stratton College CNY Central Athlete for much more than her play on the softball field.

Lindsey currently holds a 3.7 grade point average at Fulton High School while doing more than her fair share of community service, including taking part in a fashion show benefitting the Ronald McDonald House.

Larkin was also a force to be reckoned with on the field the past month with a batting average around a paltry .700 and a slugging percentage of 1.600!

Lindsey's season has more than likely come to an end with a foot injury caused by a line drive but with a few games to go she's still helping in a huge way, supporting her teammates and acting as a second coach. And the future looks bright, she's only a junior and is expected to play for the Raiders next season.

Congratulations to Lindsey Larkin, this week's Bryant and Stratton College CNY Central Athlete!

Video

great work OE. I hope Blue Curtain approves.
The class of 2013 already has five players pledged, 2014 two and 2015 one. Coach Leigh Ross and staff don't let any grass grow under their feet. People like Blue Curtain don't know me or the dynamics of my interest in softball, a game I have been directly or indirectly involved with for the better part of five decades. Maybe his comment was meant as a joke, it's hard to know without knowing him. I know one of the players parents and once you start going to the games it's like one big family. Aware of the intricacies in running a successful softball program, I appreciate the hard work & dedication that everyone who is involved, puts into it. I believe in the motto, if they're going to keep score, you might as well win. So does the SU softball program & it's players, that's why I love them.

South Florida was just eliminated in the NCAA College World Series by LSU.

Unfortunately, as is the case in all sports, poor officiating cost the Bulls on two huge plays.

In the bottom of the 6th with the score 0-0, LSU's lead off hitter put herself in front of the plate & was hit by the pitched ball.

The umpire wrongly awarded her first base. She ended up scoring the only run of the game.

To make matters worse, USF had a runner on base with two outs in the top of the 7th. The batter tried to bunt for a base hit. She was hit by the batted ball while still in the box. The umpire couldn't wait to show off his demonstrative & emphatic out call, thus ending the Bulls season and advancing the Tigers in to the next round of the losers bracket.

The worst part of both plays is that the South Florida coach never had a discussion with the ump to ask him if he would ask for help. That guy is Team USA's head coach too.

The girls doing the game, in most cases, despite having played at the highest level, don't know the rules or don't comment when they are applied in the wrong manner.

Frustrating all the way around.

In the next game, Oregon-Tennessee the Vols hit into a 6-4 force out, the Oregon player tried to complete the double play but hit the UT player running to second in the batting helmet. Michelle Smith, the former Olympic pitcher who was commentating felt the fielder should have tried to avoid hitting the runner. She blabbed on & on how the rule needs to be changed. Michelle the rule has been on the books forever, maybe because you pitched you weren't paying attention when your coach explained it. The baserunner must get down or out of the way when she is forced out so the fielder can make a throw to complete the double play. If she doesn't interference is called which results in an automatic out to the runner who is hit and the runner going to *first base. It's that simple, nothing needs to change, no one needs to discuss a change.

*If there is a further advanced runner, that runner is called out instead of the runner going to first base. (At least that was the rule in slo-pitch when I umped)

Class of 2013

So far this class has three pitchers and 2 catchers. Some of these players have other positions that they play.

P Christina Clermont
San Marcos HS San Diego Ca

4da6a4040c8de.image.jpg

“She’s probably one of the top 10 pitchers for her age in the country,” said her coach, Brant Beddow, who is also Clermont’s coach on her club team, the SoCal Breakers. “Before she played a high school game last year as a freshman, she went 32-2 at age 14 playing against 17- and 18-year-olds.”

She’s mature enough that she’s already committed to Syracuse once her high school days are over. Clermont visited the school over winter break and made her choice not long after, despite the fact that the Orange’s field was covered with snow. Syracuse has a dome for practices and plays many of its early-season games on the road in warmer climates.

“They’d been looking at me since the beginning of my freshman year and made an offer last fall,” said Clermont, who adds that orange is one of her favorite colors. “I really researched the program. I didn’t know where it was or anything about it. I’m really happy with my decision.”
Clermont has veteran presence for Knights

4/14/11
San Marcos' Clermont tosses perfect game

Christina's freshman year
NCT

P/OF Sydney O'Hara
Cicero-North Syracuse HS, Cicero NY

4dc43aec751cf.image.jpg

Pitching a no hitter
Cicero-North Syracuse’s Sydney O’Hara releases a pitch during a recent softball matchup against Henninger. O’Hara struck out 20 batters and did not allow a hit.

Was named to the 2011 State Class AA first team.

2012 C-NS softball wins third straight Class AA sectional title

2012 Lost in the Class AA state softball championship game against Bay Shore at Waterloo
Cicero-North Syracuse softball falls in state title game

2012 Stats

Honor Athlete of the Week: Sydney O'Hara of C-NS 2011 video

PLAYER OF THE YEAR C-NS, sophomore
SYDNEY O’HARA

8/29/10
Sydney O'Hara Softball Skills Video - YouTube

Video of Sydney homering & pitching CNS to state final four 6-5-12

Shenendehowa faced best pitcher yet in SU commit Sydney O' Hara

P Jordyn White
Freehold Township HS, Freehold NJ & The Jersey Intensity

jordon-white-140.jpg

Freehold Township has had its own pitching ace this spring in junior Jordyn White, who has a 1.30 ERAand is second in the Shore Conference with 123 strikeouts.
5/9/2012

This mistakenly says she is a senior
5/11 had 15 K's in 1-0 win over Raritan

K, K, 1-4, K, K, K, K, K, K, K, K, K.

C-Nicole Lundstrom
Dighton-Rehoboth Regional Falcons, Dighton Mass

g26c2e2000000000000437655fc7810605f1dd717f29bddd5fa3d6d3717.jpg

Nichole stroking a two run HR

Lunstrom socks 7th HR of the year
5/7/12

Nicole Lundstum homers & doubles
5/14/12

Lundstrom homer's & doubles again in win
5/24/12

Even with junior standout catcher and third-place hitter Nicole Lundstrom being pitched around and walked three times, the Falcons were still able to bang out 11 hits.
5/31/12

C Alyssa Dewes
Clarence HS Buffalo NY

Dewes’ hitting helps spark softball team

by JASON NADOLINSKI
Reporter

As the softball team’s leadoff batter, Alyssa Dewes is used to setting the tone for the Lady Red Devils. Dewes emphatically did just that in Clarence’s last two games — both of which were lopsided affairs — by belting first-pitch home runs to guide the Lady Red Devils to their sixth and seventh league conquests of the spring

Updated: April 20, 2012, 11:19 PM

Alyssa Dewes put together her second consecutive 4-for-4 game at the plate for the Clarence softball team in Friday's 5-0 win over visiting Williamsville North. On Thursday she was perfect in four trips against Orchard Park.

The junior catcher has given an early verbal to Syracuse University. "I'll tell you right now, Alyssa Dewes is an excellent player," said coach Todd Banaszak. "She got thrown out for the first time stealing in two years. She's just a real tough out, she hits with power and she's such a threat on the bases. Her mechanics and her arm — it's all right there."
BN

2011 ALL-WNY LARGE SCHOOLS Honorable Mention
GGS

Skills 2011 stats & video

At the plate, Clarence showed it was all business as well, pushing six runs across in both the second and third innings, as well as four more in the fourth, to put the game’s outcome out of reach. Sophomore catcher Alyssa Dewes, whom Banaszak called “one of the fastest players” he’s had in 20 years, led off the game with a home run to knot the game at 1-1, and finished with four hits and three runs scored. April 13, 2011
CB

Alyssa Dewes had two hits including a home run and three rbi's. Clarence will play a team from Section 5 in the Far West Regionals Tuesday at Niagara Falls.
6/3/12

Led by future Division I players Tori Nappo and Alyssa Dewes, the ECIC II champions lost just once all season and have cruised past fellow powerhouses like Niagara-Wheatfield during their Class AA postseason run.
6/1/12

Led by studs Tori Nappo (center field) and catcher Alyssa Dewes (2-for-3, 1 HR & three runs), the Red Devils (18-1) they rolled to the ECIC I title with an 11-1 record.
5/25/12

The class of 2013 already has five players pledged, 2014 two and 2015 one. Coach Leigh Ross and staff don't let any grass grow under their feet. People like Blue Curtain don't know me or the dynamics of my interest in softball, a game I have been directly or indirectly involved with for the better part of five decades. Maybe his comment was meant as a joke, it's hard to know without knowing him. I know one of the players parents and once you start going to the games it's like one big family. Aware of the intricacies in running a successful softball program, I appreciate the hard work & dedication that everyone who is involved, puts into it. I believe in the motto, if they're going to keep score, you might as well win. So does the SU softball program & it's players, that's why I love them.
Nice breakdown of recruiting Dan. I think the softball team recruits more nationally than any other program at Syracuse. Leigh and her crew must have a pretty good recruiting budget.

Good for them...it is the only way they are going to become a national power, because there isn't a ton of talent available locally.

Great job OE. Very nice to see the pipeline is full of promising talent! Do you have any thoughts on how the ACC will effect the program? Is there talk of building better facilities for the team? Seems we are on the cusp, and while southern and western schools dominate the sport, northern teams like Michigan and Notre Dame compete yearly so why couldn't Syracuse...

Great job OE. Very nice to see the pipeline is full of promising talent! Do you have any thoughts on how the ACC will effect the program? Is there talk of building better facilities for the team? Seems we are on the cusp, and while southern and western schools dominate the sport, northern teams like Michigan and Notre Dame compete yearly so why couldn't Syracuse...
Have not heard any talk about facility improvements. The fact we can convert the Dome to softball and have done so is huge for the program. I caught wind that we are in negotiations to run an early season tournament here and that one of the teams in the discussion is Alabama.

The fact that Alabama is playing for the national championship, starting tonight in Oklahoma City against Oklahoma, is a bonus should they agree to participate. Perhaps that fact alone might stir up more local interest in the Orangewomen's program.

South Florida gets crowds of 1500 and Michigan averages 2000. I see no reason why we can't fill the Syracuse Softball Stadium or get 500+ at the Dome. We are, after all, talking top 25 softball entertainment.

This program is afraid of no one. Taking a look at our first 25 games on the road we played perennial powers Arizona & California in Tempe. Northwestern, Arizona and UCLA in Palm Springs. North Carolina, Auburn, Michigan and Baylor in Orlando, Fla.

Add Big East stalwarts, Notre Dame, South Florida, Louisville and DePaul, this team was tournament tested & ready for the NCAA's. We went a respectable 3-2 in Tempe and had the landmark 1-0 shutout of defending national champion Arizona State on their home turf.

Last year we played Alabama twice, Hawaii, Florida & UMass who has one of the best pitchers in the nation. We beat Louisville 5 straight times including the Big East championship in Louisville. In addition we topped LSU 3-0 in the first round of the NCCA's.

So, we're not allowed to watch women's sports?

From a competitive and ratings standpoint, the men's counterpart will almost always have the upper hand. It's the reason the WNBA is scheduled during "off season". I don't know any guy that follows a woman's sport unless there is some family or friend connection that piqued their interest. Nature of the beast. Women's beach volleyball draws pretty high ratings in the olympics, but I'm willing to wager that is for other reasons.

From a competitive and ratings standpoint, the men's counterpart will almost always have the upper hand. It's the reason the WNBA is scheduled during "off season". I don't know any guy that follows a woman's sport unless there is some family or friend connection that piqued their interest. Nature of the beast. Women's beach volleyball draws pretty high ratings in the olympics, but I'm willing to wager that is for other reasons.

I don't know, I like watching women's soccer, almost more than the men, because there is less flopping. But, I like watching all Syracuse sports when they're televised. Nature of being a Syracuse fan.