Syracuse Recruits we mysteriously lost | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Recruits we mysteriously lost

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
  • Thomas Bryant. Rochester, NY kid, grew up an Orange fan, went to many, maybe dozens, of SU games at the dome. Went to Indiana because they "develop pros"...
  • Lonnie Walker. Grew up SU fan, top 20 player in the country, SU needed guards in 2017, went to Miami.
  • Brandon Randolph. Similar to Walker, SU needed guards in 2017. Reportedly a SU fan and favorite to commit to SU, ended up at Arizona.
  • Quade Green. Apparently a HUGE SU lean, went as far as making the coaches think he was in the bag. Visited SU several times, made impromptu trips from Philly. Met with WWW at MSG, committed to Kentucky days later.
  • Cheickna Dembele. Similar story, was SU's big guy recruit for 2016, inexplicably wound up at UNLV.
  • Tobias Harris. Thought to be 100% SU, goes to Tennessee, hangs out with slimy Bruce Pearl, announces to UT. This one hurts because he's a pretty good NBA player right now.

I'm sure I'm missing many others, but a lot of these suddenly make sense.

Last edited:
  • Thomas Bryant. Rochester, NY kid, grew up an Orange fan, went to many, maybe dozens, of SU games at the dome. Went to Indiana because they "develop pros"...
  • Lonnie Walker. Grew up SU fan, top 20 player in the country, SU needed guards in 2017, went to Miami.
  • Brandon Randolph. Similar to Walker, SU needed guards in 2017. Reportedly a SU fan and favorite to commit to SU, ended up at Arizona.
  • Quade Green. Apparently a HUGE SU lean, went as far as making the coaches think he was in the bag. Visited SU several times, made impromptu trips from Philly. Met with WWW at MSG, committed to Kentucky days later.
  • Cheickna Dembele. Similar story, was SU's big guy recruit for 2016, inexplicably wound up at UNLV.
I'm sure I'm missing many others, but a lot of these suddenly make sense.

Kenny Anderson, stephon Marbury

There were other contributing factors for some of these recruitments. Sometimes we simply lose the battle or mess up.

The only recruitments of those I find fishy are bryant and walker.

True, but sometimes things happen. Still need to remember how old these kids are during this process.

I am sure we could find some examples where we landed some people we might not have suspected at a certain point (*not implying anything*).

That's what could make this entire thing dicey... separating legit fraud from just circumstance.

I agree with your overall post's intentions though. Yesterday's announcement was huge.

There were other contributing factors for some of these recruitments. Sometimes we simply lose the battle or mess up.

The only recruitments of those I find fishy are bryant and walker.
bet the house on Kenny Anderson getting a paper bag from Bobby Cremins

Off the top of my head, guys we just seemed to stop recruiting…

Isiah Whitehead
Louis King
Rysheed Jordan
Isiah Briscoe
Naz Reid
Lonnie Walker
Trevon Duval
Dakari Johnson

Not saying all are nefarious, but JB seemed to pump the brakes on a lot of guys who ended up at some shady places.

Off the top of my head, guys we just seemed to stop recruiting…

Isiah Whitehead
Louis King
Rysheed Jordan
Isiah Briscoe
Naz Reid
Lonnie Walker
Trevon Duval
Dakari Johnson

Not saying all are nefarious, but JB seemed to pump the brakes on a lot of guys who ended up at some shady places.
Of those listed, duval and whitehead seem to be the most likely.

We inexplicably dropped Duval's recruitment, which to me meant JB decided it wasn't worth the time/effort. Now we may know why.

"Every recruit we wanted but lost out on."
Not all. Some are very suspicious. I don't think Nick Richards not wanting to play at SU is suspicious. He said publicly he didn't like the zone and wanted to go to UK from the start.

Not all. Some are very suspicious. I don't think Nick Richards not wanting to play at SU is suspicious. He said publicly he didn't like the zone and wanted to go to UK from the start.

I mean, this thread has already turned into basically a list of all the high profile guys we lost out on over the last five years.

Brandon Randolph didn't spurn SU for Arizona because he got a bag. He did it for...other reasons.

Agreed 144%.
It's not at ALL "every recruit we ever wanted who went elsewhere" -

but more like "every recruit we appeared to be in the lead for, who then - almost inexplicably -
ended up going someplace else, often at the very last minute, and under somewhat shady circumstances."

By the way, the Tobias Harris miss is an underrated all timer and even at the time, there were rumors that Pearl offered his Dad flights and an apartment in Tennessee.

Remember that 2010-2011 team, Scoop, Triche, CJ, Kris Joseph, freshman Waiters and Fab, and Rick, who was a monster all season. We really struggled in the halfcourt though, which was our downfall. We still got a 3 seed and lost to Marquette on that dumb backcourt call that wasn’t a backcourt at all.

Harris averaged 15 and 7 on a mediocre Tennessee team. He would have given us a second halfcourt scorer and probably opened everything up.

It was also a down year overall, one where UConn(who we beat on the road and lost to in the BET) won it all. We would have been a legit title contender that season with TH.

I mean, this thread has already turned into basically a list of all the high profile guys we lost out on over the last five years.

Brandon Randolph didn't spurn SU for Arizona because he got a bag. He did it for...other reasons.
He played Mike Tyson's punchout with a player on the current roster and didn't like the game.

By the way, the Tobias Harris miss is an underrated all timer and even at the time, there were rumors that Pearl offered his Dad flights and an apartment in Tennessee.

Remember that 2010-2011 team, Scoop, Triche, CJ, Kris Joseph, freshman Waiters and Fab, and Rick, who was a monster all season. We really struggled in the halfcourt though, which was our downfall. We still got a 3 seed and lost to Marquette on that dumb backcourt call that wasn’t a backcourt at all.

Harris averaged 15 and 7 on a mediocre Tennessee team. He would have given us a second halfcourt scorer and probably opened everything up.

It was also a down year overall, one where UConn(who we beat on the road and lost to in the BET) won it all. We would have been a legit title contender that season with TH.

Tobias Harris was killer. I KNEW he was coming to Cuse and that would've easily given us the top recruiting class in the Class of 2010.

Can any school make a similar claim against us? I can't recall if we ever have pulled a recruiting rabbit out of a hat?

Well, we flipped Devo from MSU and Battle from UM, but I don't think there was anything dirty about it unless I'm wrong. I do think SU paid Devin Brennan-McBride to pick SU over Gonzaga, though.

Well, we flipped Devo from MSU and Battle from UM, but I don't think there was anything dirty about it unless I'm wrong. I do think SU paid Devin Brennan-McBride to pick SU over Gonzaga, though.
Well I don't think any of us could argue that whatever we paid DBM - that investment was returned ten fold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom