Syracuse Team of the Decade | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Team of the Decade

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
A lot of publications have been producing "Of the Decade" lists, so why not do one for Syracuse lacrosse? It has been a disappointing decade for the Orange in terms of National Titles, but they've still produced some very exciting teams. Here's my take (apologies for missing anyone). The hardest part was how to consider guys who didn't play all four years, but Carc considered Joel White in his best LSM of the decade debate, so I followed his example.

Attack:
Kevin Rice - I think the best SU offensive player of the decade, started his career slow but in his senior year he was nearly unstoppable.
Dylan Donahue - my favorite thing about Donahue was the fact he went from being the team's primary finisher in his first three seasons to being the team's quarterback his senior year, and was incredible.
Randy Staats - toughest call to make for me, as Keogh was also a good option, and Staats did only have two years at Syracuse and some injury problems, but to me he was the most talented player SU had in the past decade. His assist to Billy Ward in the ACC tournament was the best play of the decade for SU lacrosse.

Midfield:
Nick Mariano - like Staats, only had two years with the Orange but he was a magician. Unguardable against a short stick and finished his senior year as a first team All American.
Sergio Salcido - the poster child of what a walk-on can be, Sergio was a great passer and also finished his career as a first team All American.
JoJo Marasco - the most memorable season for a midfielder was Marasco's senior year when he led the Orange to the National Title game. Best passing season from an Orange midfielder I can remember. Could also consider Jamie Trimboli and Nick Galasso, Henry Schoonmaker or Hakeem Lecky.

Face-off
Ben Williams - without question, even if he wore down his senior year, Williams was incredible.

LSM:
Joel White - can only consider his last two years but no one else comes close.

Defensive Midfield:
Peter Dearth - still one more season but has all the physical tools and is a threat offensively.
Steve Ianzito - I think the 2013 title game could have had a different outcome if he was healthy. Was able to erase his opponent in almost every game.

Close Defense:
Brian McGill - a true warrior on the field McGill had no quit in him.
John Lade - again, only two years but he took every teams best player and almost always took them out of the equation.
Nick Mellen - no one erases an opposing attackman like Mellen. It was obvious his very first game he was going to be a star. Also considered Brandon Mullins

Goalie:
John Galloway: can't have Joel White without Galloway. Again, isn't even close even if you can only count two years.

A lot of publications have been producing "Of the Decade" lists, so why not do one for Syracuse lacrosse? It has been a disappointing decade for the Orange in terms of National Titles, but they've still produced some very exciting teams. Here's my take (apologies for missing anyone). The hardest part was how to consider guys who didn't play all four years, but Carc considered Joel White in his best LSM of the decade debate, so I followed his example.

Attack:
Kevin Rice - I think the best SU offensive player of the decade, started his career slow but in his senior year he was nearly unstoppable.
Dylan Donahue - my favorite thing about Donahue was the fact he went from being the team's primary finisher in his first three seasons to being the team's quarterback his senior year, and was incredible.
Randy Staats - toughest call to make for me, as Keogh was also a good option, and Staats did only have two years at Syracuse and some injury problems, but to me he was the most talented player SU had in the past decade. His assist to Billy Ward in the ACC tournament was the best play of the decade for SU lacrosse.

Midfield:
Nick Mariano - like Staats, only had two years with the Orange but he was a magician. Unguardable against a short stick and finished his senior year as a first team All American.
Sergio Salcido - the poster child of what a walk-on can be, Sergio was a great passer and also finished his career as a first team All American.
JoJo Marasco - the most memorable season for a midfielder was Marasco's senior year when he led the Orange to the National Title game. Best passing season from an Orange midfielder I can remember. Could also consider Jamie Trimboli and Nick Galasso, Henry Schoonmaker or Hakeem Lecky.

Face-off
Ben Williams - without question, even if he wore down his senior year, Williams was incredible.

LSM:
Joel White - can only consider his last two years but no one else comes close.

Defensive Midfield:
Peter Dearth - still one more season but has all the physical tools and is a threat offensively.
Steve Ianzito - I think the 2013 title game could have had a different outcome if he was healthy. Was able to erase his opponent in almost every game.

Close Defense:
Brian McGill - a true warrior on the field McGill had no quit in him.
John Lade - again, only two years but he took every teams best player and almost always took them out of the equation.
Nick Mellen - no one erases an opposing attackman like Mellen. It was obvious his very first game he was going to be a star. Also considered Brandon Mullins

Goalie:
John Galloway: can't have Joel White without Galloway. Again, isn't even close even if you can only count two years.

Interesting exercise. While one could quibble with a spot or two on your list...what this list REALLY demonstrates is how the talent level at the program has changed. Put this team up against an SU All Decade team from the 80s, 90s or 00s and it simply does not measure up (and the 00s team can claim Joel White and Galloway too, the two best players on your list). Sobering.

Interesting exercise. While one could quibble with a spot or two on your list...what this list REALLY demonstrates is how the talent level at the program has changed. Put this team up against an SU All Decade team from the 80s, 90s or 00s and it simply does not measure up (and the 00s team can claim Joel White and Galloway too, the two best players on your list). Sobering.
Hard to compare decades without putting discussion into context. Sport use to be top heavy with a few teams such as Cuse hoarding the best of a lesser pool of talent.. Would imagine that those all decade cuse teams would also have dominated the AA list at the time. Many more talents today spread across many more rosters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom