Syracusefan.com Forum Usability Ideas, No Debates Necessary! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracusefan.com Forum Usability Ideas, No Debates Necessary!

Moqui I'd rather have one "official game thread" with 100 responses than 30 new threads everytime a controversial foul or basket happens. Sometimes during games the entire front page is "DID YOU SEE THAT FOUL" or "MY THOUGHTS ON THE FIRST 6 MINUTES"

I like the idea of organized topic threads...we probably didn't need fifteen different threads on Nerlens Noel.

probably? I whole-heartedly agree that we don't need an entire page filled with threads on one prospective recruit. Even if he is the top recruit. Nothing against the comment, but i couldn't help but make a comment on the understatement.

Not sure the suggestion is the best idea, but i think it is an interesting discussion to have, and could lead to a more pleasant experience on the site.

two things here:

1. it's pretty amazing that, when people pay for things, they tend to treat them better. Even whey they are paying as little as $10 per month or less. The fact of the matter is that the pay side on the old board was better mannered, on-topic and more informative, even though it was much less trafficked. That is the reason people clamor for the pay board - it's not that it "keeps the riff raff out," rather, it tends to keep us all from devolving into riff raff. Those who used the pay side at the old board will confirm this - and it is especially the case when you compare the chat rooms.

2. I detest the "official thread" posts. the fact of the matter is that most posters have very little to offer, and you have to wade through a lot of chaff in those megathreads to find the few kernels of wheat. I would much rather see 40 different threads with 6 to 10 responses than one thread with 200 or more responses. It's also why so many of us want to see thread view - topic view is more egalitarian, as it basically forces you to read, or at least skim, every post. Thread view allows you to skip over the sub-topics and especially the posters who you know from experience are weak and/or distasteful. I don't mean that in a superior way, either - I know that there are plenty of posters who wish they could skip over my posts.

all that being said, I think the forum is basically fine. if you take the time to explore it, there is a lot of functionality here that solves many of the "problems" people have. I would still like to see thread view, and I would contribute to a tip jar, but there is no need for any major overhaul, IMO.
Excuse me for not knowing, but what is topic view and thread view? What is the difference? My understanding is that with thread view, separate "threads" are generated if you respond to a particular post. Respond to the original post and you stay in that "thread" but respond to a response and it begins another "thread"

If people replied without reading my post, I can totally see where you are coming from. However even if you skimmed my post with one eye open you couldn't have missed where I was explaining why we should try a brainstorming thread vs typical debate. I just can't understand why someone would judge and reply to a post without reading it.
Once your post was long enough extend past the length of my screen not once, not twice, but three page downs, I sort of lost interest no matter how good it may have been. When you brainstorm, you through out an idea and get responses. You went way beyond that.

Does anyone find it ironic that a thread about keeping this place organized wasn't posted in the Support, Suggestions, etc... Forum?
You stole my thunder! lol

If it ain't broke don't fix it, trying to organize every thread and every sub-topic seems way to complicated and way too much work. Mods are going to be moving threads constantly. Some posts aren't going to neatly fit into one specific sub-topic area. Then what we going to start issuing warnings and suspend people for that stuff? It's silly! I think people forget that at the end of the day this is a sports message board. No need to think too deeply about it. Don't try to re-invent the wheel.

While I may not agree with some of the OP's ideas, I'm apparently not as offended by his choice of words as some are. I am not a big fan of mega-threads, but I have enjoyed the experience of an "official" game thread on other boards, more so than numerous plays or calls getting their own thread(or more). I wouldn't get my feathers ruffled if it happened now and then, but I think an official game thread(as mentioned by EastCoast) would do well.

Overall, I personally enjoy the current format, but I can only speak for myself. I am open to the voting up or down, but I think each response moving a thread back on the top of the list is a pretty natural form of popularity itself. I also want to express my gratitude to the mods for keeping the amount of stickied threads low compared to some boards. One sticky I might like though(as a non-owner of a tv), would be an in-game sticky with stream links, but I also don't mind posting and asking if I fail to find one on my own. I really enjoy the board overall, and want to thank the mods/admins as well as the posters.

So who decides what threads and sub-threads we use? The Moderators?

BLUF: the Internet Folks...free love, no rules

I like it pretty much as it is. If we do have a classified pay board...we should have a classified chat capabiity with it.

I do think it is important to have an unclassified chat capability too as that I felt that was a big weakness for the old Scout site.

I can't believe how bad Rivals software is for their forums...

I am not a fan of the long, single-thread approach. If you have ever been on Georgetown's forum, it is miserable--and not only because they are GT fans. I don't want to read 10 pages so that I can jump into a conversation. It is nice to be able to quickly jump into a conversation and read up on prior responses so that you aren't repeating something that happened 9 pages ago.

Perhaps a few more locked threads wouldn't hurt, but the idea of grouping everything together sucks for those of us who want to jump in quickly and see what is going on.

I am not a fan of the long, single-thread approach. If you have ever been on Georgetown's forum, it is miserable--and not only because they are GT fans. I don't want to read 10 pages so that I can jump into a conversation. It is nice to be able to quickly jump into a conversation and read up on prior responses so that you aren't repeating something that happened 9 pages ago.

Perhaps a few more locked threads wouldn't hurt, but the idea of grouping everything together sucks for those of us who want to jump in quickly and see what is going on.
Also not a fan of long threads. If people were just a little bit better about their subject lines and everyone else used existing threads where it makes sense, we'd be just fine.

Somehow, some posters find "Official Game Thread" in a subject line to be ambiguous and they have to start another one.Oh Lord

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom