Syracusefan.com Golf Tournament Friday August 31st (Payment Deadline Extended) | Syracusefan.com

Syracusefan.com Golf Tournament Friday August 31st (Payment Deadline Extended)

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am happy to announce the first full fledged Syracusefan.com golf tournament.​
Here are the details:​
Date: Friday afternoon August 31st​
Format: Captain and Crew​
Cost: $70, which includes 18 holes of golf with a cart, lunch at the turn and dinner afterwards​
(August 31st is the Friday of Labor Day Weekend, the day before the Northwestern game, which is the board tailgate this year and the opener for the football season).​
The purpose for the tournament is two fold:​
1) to raise money for the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation, a charity near and dear to all of our hearts and​
2) to provide an opportunity for people who use the board to meet face to face, get to know each other a little better, and have a chance to talk SU sports (it is the day before the season opener for football).​
You can organize a foursome or groups of foursomes if you want, or sign up as a single and get paired with others from the board (we will be happy to work with you and/or friends to accomodate your wishes).​
Everyone is welcome to attend, including lurkers and friends of people who are on the board. Don't worry if you aren't a good golfer. I can guarantee you that many of the people that will play are not good either. To make things easier, we will play a Captain and Crew format, where your team takes the best shot of the 4 players on your team shot by shot, so it won't be a big deal if you struggle.​
The Links at Erie Village is a relatively new course a little east of Syracuse city limits, located on Burdick St, not far from East Syracuse and Fayetteville. It is a relatively short course with a lot of water...I believe water comes into play on 14 of the 18 holes. It is one of the nicer public courses in central New York, and is only a few minutes from downtown, Carrier Circle and the university. History buffs might be interested that it borders the original Erie Canal, which survives to this day as a walking/running park. Links at Erie Village has a top notch dining facility that is part of the complex and the food served there has always been very good.​
Lunch at the turn will be a hamburger or a hot dog and a drink. Dinner will be the traditional steak dinner, but people can substitute chicken or fish if desired. If you want chicken or fish, be sure to drop me a line indicating this.​
We will have an optional skins game for those that want to participate. We will have a 50-50 raffle. We will have a putting contest. We will have some neat SU related items up for bid with a silent auction. In addition, we hope to have someone from the SU athletics family be part of the event and perhaps say a few words before dinner.​
We are accepting payment using Paypal only (if this is truly impossible for you, EZ Inbox me to discuss other methods). To make a payment, go to the Paypal site linked, click on Personal, log in (if you haven't logged in yet, you will need to sign up for an account, which only takes a minute to do) select the Send Money option, address it to sutomcat @ hotmail.com (I added blanks before and after the @ sign to discourage email harvesters), select Personal (not Purchase) and Payment owed, and be sure to indicate in the email to me that the payment is for the Syracusefan.com golf tournament and who you are paying for. If you want a fish or chicken dinner, please idicate that here as well.​
We are actively looking for sponsors for the event...if you or your company are interested in this, please EZ Inbox me and we can discuss options.​
If you have any questions, feel free to EZ Inbox me. Again, all proceeds from the event will go to the Jim and Juli Foundation. It is a great cause, and we would love to have as many people as possible participate to make the event a good fund raiser for this charity.​
The deadline for signing up for the tournament has been extended to August 17th. If you haven't gone to a board event before, this would be a great way to break the ice and get to meet some of the many interesting characters here. Don't be shy, it is great to talk with people that share the same passions you do about SU sports.​
Lastly, if you can't golf at all but would like to come to the dinner only, EZ Inbox me. I am sure we can accomodate you (not sure what the price would be but it will be significantly less than for lunch, dinner and golf).​

Cost: $70, which includes 18 holes of golf with a cart, lunch at the turn and dinner afterwards​
(August 31st is the Friday of Labor Day Weekend, the day before the Northwestern game, which is the board tailgate this year and the opener for the football season).​
1) to raise money for the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation, a charity near and dear to all of our hearts and​
2) to provide an opportunity for people who use the board to meet face to face, get to know each other a little better, and have a chance to talk SU sports (it is the day before the season opener for football).​
You can organize a foursome or groups of foursomes if you want, or sign up as a single and get paired with others from the board (we will be happy to work with you and/or friends to accomodate your wishes).​
Everyone is welcome to attend, including lurkers and friends of people who are on the board. Don't worry if you aren't a good golfer. I can guarantee you that many of the people that will play are not good either. To make things easier, we will play a Captain and Crew format, where your team takes the best shot of the 4 players on your team shot by shot, so it won't be a big deal if you struggle.​
The Links at Erie Village is a relatively new course a little east of Syracuse city limits, located on Burdick St, not far from East Syracuse and Fayetteville. It is a relatively short course with a lot of water...I believe water comes into play on 14 of the 18 holes. It is one of the nicer public courses in central New York, and is only a few minutes from downtown, Carrier Circle and the university. History buffs might be interested that it borders the original Erie Canal, which survives to this day as a walking/running park. Links at Erie Village has a top notch dining facility that is part of the complex and the food served there has always been very good.​
Lunch at the turn will be a hamburger or a hot dog and a drink. Dinner will be the traditional steak dinner, but people can substitute chicken or fish if desired. If you want chicken or fish, be sure to drop me a line indicating this.​
We will have an optional skins game for those that want to participate. We will have a 50-50 raffle. We will have a putting contest. We will have some neat SU related items up for bid with a silent auction. In addition, we hope to have someone from the SU athletics family be part of the event and perhaps say a few words before dinner.​
We are accepting payment using Paypal only (if this is truly impossible for you, EZ Inbox me to discuss other methods). To make a payment, go to the Paypal site linked, click on Personal, log in (if you haven't logged in yet, you will need to sign up for an account, which only takes a minute to do) select the Send Money option, address it to sutomcat @ hotmail.com (I added blanks before and after the @ sign to discourage email harvesters), select Personal (not Purchase) and Payment owed, and be sure to indicate in the email to me that the payment is for the Syracusefan.com golf tournament and who you are paying for. If you want a fish or chicken dinner, please idicate that here as well.​
We are actively looking for sponsors for the event...if you or your company are interested in this, please EZ Inbox me and we can discuss options.​
If you have any questions, feel free to EZ Inbox me. Again, all proceeds from the event will go to the Jim and Juli Foundation. It is a great cause, and we would love to have as many people as possible participate to make the event a good fund raiser for this charity.​
The deadline for signing up for the tournament is August 1st. If you haven't gone to a board event before, this would be a great way to break the ice and get to meet some of the many interesting characters here. Don't be shy, it is great to talk with people that share the same passions you do about SU sports.​
Lastly, if you can't golf at all but would like to come to the dinner only, EZ Inbox me. I am sure we can accomodate you (not sure what the price would be but it will be significantly less than for lunch, dinner and golf).​
MY GOAL IS TO BE A PARTICIPANT

What sort of sponsorship opportunities are you going to offer Tomcat? Hole? Teebox? Cart? And what are you thinking the price structure will be for them?

I think I can swing it Tom. Will let you know for sure as the deadline nears. On vaca that week but should be back as I have a weekend tourney at Tuscarora on Sat-Sun of that weekend.

Might I be so bold as to add that that is also the final weekend of the Great NY State Fair, so just one more reason for out of towners to consider making the trip.

What sort of sponsorship opportunities are you going to offer Tomcat? Hole? Teebox? Cart? And what are you thinking the price structure will be for them?
My goal to to get a sponsor for every hole, a sponsor for the putting contest, a sponsor for the blind auction, a sponsor for the 50-50 contest, and hopefully a few major sponsors that would contribute a bit more.

The plan is to have a program for the event that will acknowledge all the sponsors, have some signs up in the dining area to honor the major sponsors, acknowledge them verbally as part of the emcee function. We will have signs up on each tee box to honor the hole sponsors, we will have a sign up next to the putting contest to honor that sponsor, we will mention all the sponsors in posts before and after the event, etc.

It will be a great way for organizations to get their name out among major Syracuse fans. As to the cost for sponsorship, I want to avoid posting numbers directly on the board, but the plan is to keep to keep things very responsible.

People interested should EZ Inbox me for details.

I'd be very interested once I know what my employment status is. Will definitely let you know when I have more details.

MY GOAL IS TO BE A PARTICIPANT

That's a great goal Moose.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty sure that I am in... I stink but I will embarass myself for a good cuse (pun... not typo).

i have no form, no posture, and no patience at golf..with that being said..im in

Couple of questions:

(1) If I get a foursome, can I have non-syracusefan.com people in it?

(2) How much to sponsor a hole?

Is it possible to have a foursome with JB involved?

Suggestion

JB
Julie B
Hop
GMAC

Have them play a shot with each foursome who signs up, for a donation to the cause, say $100 or $25 per person.

Might be worth working on:) and a way of raising a few more $$$

Is it possible to have a foursome with JB involved?

Suggestion

JB
Julie B
Hop
GMAC

Have them play a shot with each foursome who signs up, for a donation to the cause, say $100 or $25 per person.

Might be worth working on:) and a way of raising a few more $$$
Won't they be busy coaching or recruiting somewhere? I was thinking of the same thing tho ... having Jim and/or Julie and/or Hop and/or Gmac make an appearance somewhere... sometime. Afterall, great cause and a more dedicated fanbase you will never find!!

Hey this is a lot less costly than the JB event at Turning Stone ($1000/player) and sounds like a lot more fun ... after all who wants to play with a bunch of stuff shirts that can afford $1000 for a round of golf. I mean good for them for the donations but would they really enjoy a hamburg or hot dog at the turn for a $1000?? Hey let's play!!

i can chip and putt. i can drive 80 yards
That's great progress -- keep it going.

I haven't heard or rather read anything more. Is the tourney still on and progressing?

The deadline for signing up for the tournament is August 1st. If you haven't gone to a board event before, this would be a great way to break the ice and get to meet some of the many interesting characters here. Don't be shy, it is great to talk with people that share the same passions you do about SU sports.​
Time is running out people. I ask that if you want to play, you respond in this thread with the number you have committed to play.

Example:

sutomcat (2)

This will help facilitate pairing people together into foursomes and give me a better idea how many people are going to play.

Couple of questions:

(1) If I get a foursome, can I have non-syracusefan.com people in it?

(2) How much to sponsor a hole?
1) Yes, absolutely.
2) The cost to sponsor a hole is $100. American. First 18 to commit are in.

How many have signed up so far? I intend to send some $$ tomorrow.
So far, I have verbal commits from about 50 people. Have received payments from 10-12...something in that range.

Plan to send in money for a 3some (need 1 possibly) on the 31st. Is the tourney straight up team vs.team or are we handicapping for females on the team (although most women play better than I do anyway)

Plan to send in money for a 3some (need 1 possibly) on the 31st. Is the tourney straight up team vs.team or are we handicapping for females on the team (although most women play better than I do anyway)
Females get the advantage of playing from the women's tees. That usually is sufficient.

FYI, the focus of the event is going to be to have fun. I don't expect it isn't going to be really competitive...a few teams may end up being good but I think most will be happy to finish with a few balls left in their golf bag.

We will give a prize for the team with the lowest score but it probably isn't going to be a claret jug. Maybe a claret jug made of chocolate...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom