Syracuse's B.J. Johnson injures ankle in USA East Coast's loss to Estonia (PS: Waters) | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse's B.J. Johnson injures ankle in USA East Coast's loss to Estonia (PS: Waters)

He kept playing on it, so hopefully it's only an injury that caused discomfort and not an injury that will linger or become a bigger issue.

Glad to hear he's been the team's leading scorer. The dude can put the ball in the basket.

I spoke to him after the game. He said that its a little soar. He wasn't the same jumping bean after turning it. He should be fine.
He kept playing on it, so hopefully it's only an injury that caused discomfort and not an injury that will linger or become a bigger issue.

Glad to hear he's been the team's leading scorer. The dude can put the ball in the basket.

This is why JB should play more than 7 players like he did last season. It's just too easy for our players to get injured. Maybe we need a few more early losses so we can have a few more better players at the end of the season.
Oh jeebus...not this "let's sacrifice a few early games for long term gains" bs agai. Come on Dave.

Oh jeebus...not this "let's sacrifice a few early games for long term gains" bs agai. Come on Dave.

So you don't think TR getting more playing time would have helped when Grant was injured? It seems to make sense to me.

Three games and BJ lands on player's foot and twists his ankle. It seems like every year we have players with injuries at the end of the season. It's not about "sacrifice a few early games". Now that's BS. It's about getting more player's to a higher caliber of play. Why is that difficult to understand. Come on AZ explain why that doesn't make sense?

So you don't think TR getting more playing time would have helped when Grant was injured? It seems to make sense to me.

Three games and BJ lands on player's foot and twists his ankle. It seems like every year we have players with injuries at the end of the season. It's not about "sacrifice a few early games". Now that's BS. It's about getting more player's to a higher caliber of play. Why is that difficult to understand. Come on AZ explain why that doesn't make sense?

TR didn't play last season largely because he got a late start on enrolling at school. THAT's what disrupted his year, not some nonsensical conspiracy on JB's part to undermine the kid.

If he'd been ready to contribute last year, then he would have played. He wasn't, so he didn't.

TR didn't play last season largely because he got a late start on enrolling at school. THAT's what disrupted his year, not some nonsensical conspiracy on JB's part to undermine the kid.

If he'd been ready to contribute last year, then he would have played. He wasn't, so he didn't.

What "nonsensical conspiracy" ? I never said JB was "undermining the kid." All I am saying is I think JB should give more players PT so when we inevitably have injuries at the end of the season like we do every year we have better players ready to play. There's no conspiracy. It's like you all are reading ten extra sentences to everything I post!

I am expressing an opinion that JB should put more players into the rotation throughout the year and not just at the end of games. That's my opinion. Now please explain to me why my opinion is "nonsensical". You may not agree with my opinion but just because you don't doesn't make it nonsensical. Next thing you are going to do is tell me is my opinion is a "lie". Sometimes the lack of respect for other people's opinions on this board is stunning.

Im actually surprised you said this. I thought everyone was sick of the 20-0 starts and dying towards the end of the season.

Im actually surprised you said this. I thought everyone was sick of the 20-0 starts and dying towards the end of the season.
Dying? Our finish had nothing to do with who was in the rotation and who wasn't. It had everything to do with not having players who could put the leather pumpkin in the peach basket.

Dying? Our finish had nothing to do with who was in the rotation and who wasn't. It had everything to do with not having players who could put the leather pumpkin in the peach basket.

which roberson and/or bj shooting couldnt have helped with if they had meaningful action?

when i say dying - i dont only mean running out of gas - i mean all of the above... injury insurance, fresh legs, new and different options, etc...

Jb sees these guys every day of the week. You see them once maybe twice a week. He determines they are not ready to contribute. You have determined that they are. Who are we to believe here? Grants injury had zero to do with our fortunes. Nothing could have prevented onuakus. Fab was suspended. So who else are we talking about here?

which roberson and/or bj shooting couldnt have helped with if they had meaningful action?

when i say dying - i dont only mean running out of gas - i mean all of the above... injury insurance, fresh legs, new and different options, etc...
There was zero ( aside from maybe 5 minutes from TR) that was any semblance of being ready to play.

Apparently not, as neither player was ready to contribute meaningfully last year.

JB has shown in recent years that he's willing to expand the rotation when he's got players that he is comfortable with. That was not the case last year.

What "nonsensical conspiracy" ? I never said JB was "undermining the kid." All I am saying is I think JB should give more players PT so when we inevitably have injuries at the end of the season like we do every year we have better players ready to play. There's no conspiracy. It's like you all are reading ten extra sentences to everything I post!

I am expressing an opinion that JB should put more players into the rotation throughout the year and not just at the end of games. That's my opinion. Now please explain to me why my opinion is "nonsensical". You may not agree with my opinion but just because you don't doesn't make it nonsensical. Next thing you are going to do is tell me is my opinion is a "lie". Sometimes the lack of respect for other people's opinions on this board is stunning.

This isn't directed so much at you, Dave, as it is my frustration with hearing many of the same off-target complaints every year from our fanbase. It's a pet peeve of mine, right up there with the opinion on the football side that if Syracuse wants to improve the football program, well then they need to start recruiting more five-star players.

To answer your question, it's "nonsensical" because it demonstrates a complete and utter lack of understanding about how our coach operates. It is also " nonsensical" because you are expressing a truism as fact--i.e., that throwing players onto the court means that they are going to contribute positively.

I have expressed literally dozens of times--that's no "lie"--that BJ Johnson is my favorite recruit from the class of 2013. I think he is going to have a fantastic career in Orange, and be a major league contributor during his time on the hill. He might even be a legit NBA prospect. But I can also tell you with absolute assurity that he was NOT physically ready to contribute last year, due to his underdeveloped physique. So while on paper he might have been able to provide some much needed complimentary shooting, there's no guarantee that he would have actually been able to provide it. Or been able to defend adequately. Etc. That's the part of the argument that seems so often overlooked by many posters who express some of the same ontological viewpoints that you express in this thread.

It's "nonsensical" because it also brings up the same off-base argument that I hear every year about how the coach is either holding the team back or holding individual players back. If only we'd played more MCW in 2012... ignoring the fact that we went 31-3, and that the reason that the team went unraveled had to do with Fab being suspended, not the backcourt. Please keep in mind that the coach and the coaching staff see these kids practice for months, every day, and know a hell of a lot more about their capabilities and where they are on their respective developmental curves than random fans grousing on an internet site. That might sound harsh, but its the truth.

Look, it would be great if Roberson and / or BJ had been ready to contribute at a high major level last year. It also would have been great if someone like Grant to play the entire season like he did in the UNC game, or if CJ hadn't turned the ball over so much, or if Rak to have played more like Rick Jackson, or if Cooney to have been more consistent. Maybe "if" the NCAA hadn't dragged their feet for so !@#$ long resolving Roberson's eligibility, he wouldn't have been so far behind when he finally arrived on campus--weeks late, I might add.

"Ifs" don't amount to a hill of beans in my book. If Roberson or BJ or Patterson would have been more ready to contribute last season, then JB would have played them. Nobody is arguing that more depth wouldn't have been beneficial, or that the team didn't need more outside shooting, or that having more offensive weapons wouldn't have helped an anemic offense. But throwing players who aren't ready to the wolves wouldn't have necessarily improved things last season, and frankly might have actually made things worse.

Perspective.

Last edited:
JB has shown in recent years that he's willing to expand the rotation when he's got players that he is comfortable with. That was not the case last year.

WHAT?!

I've been complaining about this one facet of boeheim for years and told myself this year I'm not going to anymore.. It just simply won't happen. 8 deep, MAX! More like 7 probably this year. Whatever, he's the hall of famer. He's won 900 games, but you're absolutely wrong if you don't think his lack of bench depth has costed him a couple FFs or deeper post season runs..

11-12 dion, triche scoop southerland kjo cj fab rakeem baye mcw if i remember correctly.

I don't believe in the whole roberson being left behind for missing four games in canada thing. He just wasn't ready end of story. The other players were more so very lucky to get canada then roberson to not get it.

11-12 dion, triche scoop southerland kjo cj fab rakeem baye mcw if i remember correctly.

I don't believe in the whole roberson being left behind for missing four games in canada thing. He just wasn't ready end of story. The other players were more so very lucky to get canada then roberson to not get it.

11-12 is the anomaly, not the proving in recent years that he would go deep...

even so - MCW didnt play much and even Rak went to the bench shortly after starting for 2/3 of the season.

To answer your question, it's "nonsensical" because it demonstrates a complete and utter lack of understanding about how our coach operates. It is also " nonsensical" because you are expressing a truism as fact--i.e., that throwing players onto the court means that they are going to contribute positively.

Honestly, i stopped reading at this paragraph...

The reason people complain about what Boeheim does isnt because they think player a or player b will be ready in November like Melo was.

They want the player to be ready in March. Boeheim plays every game in November like its the 2nd round of the tournament. So for the most part - the greener players dont get PT in meaningful situations.

Whereas Izzo and Cal (by default) and others play everyone they think will be quality from the beginning. They take lumps as they go but have seen better success in the tournament.

Some players wont work out, others will... but we had an offensive problem last year from day 1 (and I was constantly talking about it) and we did nothing to try to fix that issue because we kept winning at the beginning. We could have at least tried different scenarios while the players had time to grow.

WHAT?!

Historically, JB only plays 7. With the exception of last year, he's expanded that rotation in recent years.

10-11: Scoop, Triche, Dion, KJ, CJ, Rick, Fab, Southerland, BMK -- 9 players
11-12: Scoop, Triche, Dion, KJ, CJ, Southerland, Fab, Rak, BMK [MCW only played token minutes, so I won't include him in the final tally] -- 9 players
12-13: Triche, MCW, Cooney, CJ, Southerland, Rak, BMK, Grant -- 8 players

The fact--or perhaps the inconvenient truth--is that when he's had players that can contribute, he's expanded the rotation to 8-9 players. I'm not saying that the last 4-5 years invalidates the accurate complaint that he's traditionally been a 7 player rotation coach, but to say that he doesn't or hasn't played more guys recently is inaccurate.

Last edited: