"Syracuse's Gbinije says he 'more than likely' will return next season; five others definite" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"Syracuse's Gbinije says he 'more than likely' will return next season; five others definite"

Appears to be Waters' interpretation --- which may or may not be correct. Anyway he states that the ship limits likely put an end to recruitment of Tyus Battle and that is wrong. It just means someone has to leave/transfer to open another class of '16 ship for Battle...which is possible.
He states that SU would need a "waiver" to get Bryant, which indicates to me he has either read some rules or been advised of same by someone in the know (one of the coaches?).

He states that SU would need a "waiver" to get Bryant, which indicates to me he has either read some rules or been advised of same by someone in the know (one of the coaches?).
I thought he said the waiver would likely be denied by the NCAA anyway?

We self-imposed vacating 24 wins. The NCAA said "NOPE, it's 108"

We self-imposed a 1 scholarship reduction. The NCAA said "NOPE, it's 12"

The only self-imposed penalty they accepted was the one year ban.

Whats funny to me is, the way it was worded in the press release/report, is the one year self imposed ban, basically was a non-issue, according to the ncaa. They almost made it sound like we didnt have to do it, to avoid looking like the bad guy for punishing innocent kids.

I think Bilas's response was the most useful regarding loss of scholies. He said it didn't think it was such a big deal, you just trim from the end of the bench. I take this to mean 2 guys transfer out, they take Bryant and have an incoming class of 6 Freshmen. That, alone, could get them through the next 4 years. I thought BJ might be one because JB pulled him early and he only played 3 minutes because of his lack of defense. I recall that 2 early open shots cost us points and both times it was BJ's guy open on the slide.

But the above link seems to verify that everyone interviewed is coming back, even silent G if you read his follow up comments. I'd say the two guys who did not make themselves available to be asked are the transfers.

Does anyone really think that this team will be a good team next several years unless Bilas strategy is employed,. Yeah Cmac is coming back but how ready how strong will he be especially if he has to play minutes at the C position? And same goes for Dc2 who is coming off a horrendous knee surgery. And he wasn't lights out when he was not injured. Then we have at least four projects th projects in Chino, kJ, Patterson, and bj ! The rest are freshmen.

From the University:

"In addition to these important changes, the University already self-imposed a series of significant penalties that include:

• A one-year ban from 2014-15 post-season competition for men’s basketball;
  • A voluntary, two-year term of probation for the Department of Athletics;
  • Elimination of one scholarship for men’s basketball for the 2015-2016 season;
  • Elimination of a men’s basketball off-campus recruiter for six months during 2015-2016;
  • Vacation of 24 men’s basketball wins (15 in 2004-05 and 9 in 2011-12); and
  • Vacation of 11 football wins: (6 in 2004-05; 1 in 2005-06; 4 in 2006-07).
Getting Bryant would mean someone unexpected leaves I believe.
Why would SU offer up one scholarship if they were still pursuing Bryant and needed a scholarship for him? Why did they supposedly call recruits and tell them the the NCAA penalties wouldn't effect them!
We're they totally blind sighted about what the penalties would be? Or do they know things that aren't apparent?

Does anyone really think that this team will be a good team next several years unless Bilas strategy is employed,. Yeah Cmac is coming back but how ready how strong will he be especially if he has to play minutes at the C position? And same goes for Dc2 who is coming off a horrendous knee surgery. And he wasn't lights out when he was not injured. Then we have at least four projects th projects in Chino, kJ, Patterson, and bj ! The rest are freshmen.

The stuff I read about Coleman was that he was pretty much killing it in practices recently and I think you will see improvement in him next year like the improvement you saw in Rak this year.

You've should have Cooney, Kaleb, silent G, Roberson, and BJ back and Cmac will be healthy and it will probably be his last year. If we get Bryant that will probably be the #1 class with 6 freshmen in the top 100. I think that could be a team that will be more than good and could challenge for the National Championship.

The stuff I read about Coleman was that he was pretty much killing it in practices recently and I think you will see improvement in him next year like the improvement you saw in Rak this year.

You've should have Cooney, Kaleb, silent G, Roberson, and BJ back and Cmac will be healthy and it will probably be his last year. If we get Bryant that will probably be the #1 class with 6 freshmen in the top 100. I think that could be a team that will be more than good and could challenge for the National Championship.
Boom

Cmac said he may not be ready until december too. Could be later. Look at what happened to d rose. No guarantee you bounce back quickly.

Cmac said he may not be ready until december too. Could be later. Look at what happened to d rose. No guarantee you bounce back quickly.
DRose is an outlier, plenty of dudes come back from an ACL and are fine. But your point is taken about him being out until Decemember...we won't see the normal frosh to soph jump because of the injury rehab

6 freshmen? Huh?

I think Bilas's response was the most useful regarding loss of scholies. He said it didn't think it was such a big deal, you just trim from the end of the bench. I take this to mean 2 guys transfer out, they take Bryant and have an incoming class of 6 Freshmen. That, alone, could get them through the next 4 years. I thought BJ might be one because JB pulled him early and he only played 3 minutes because of his lack of defense. I recall that 2 early open shots cost us points and both times it was BJ's guy open on the slide.

But the above link seems to verify that everyone interviewed is coming back, even silent G if you read his follow up comments. I'd say the two guys who did not make themselves available to be asked are the transfers.

Bilas' comment about trimming from the end of the bench meant that your bench gets shorter in the years you have the reduction. He wasn't suggesting showing players the door to manipulate your roster.

Last edited:
Bilas' comment about trimming from the end of the bench meant that your bench gets shorter in the years you have the reduction. He wasn't suggested showing players the door to manipulate your roster.

What Bilas said is certainly open to interpretation. However, he also added that everybody does it, which colored my interpretation to mean arrange for transfer to play somewhere else where they do not sit on the bench, which is different than be shown the door.

What Bilas said is certainly open to interpretation. However, he also added that everybody does it, which colored my interpretation to mean arrange for transfer to play somewhere else where they do not sit on the bench, which is different than be shown the door.

Yeah, I didn't know the other part he added about everybody doing it. You may be right but it is definitely (intentionally?) vague.