Tailgating and Tickets (a business perspective) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tailgating and Tickets (a business perspective)

BC?

They have little to no tailgating. There's the one grassy field next to the stadium, which is reserved for high donors, and that's about it.

People are going to be surprised when we join the ACC. I've tailgated at Florida State and it's very good. A lot of open fields around the stadium and many take it seriously. I've also tailgated at North Carolina and it's probably a tad below Syracuse in terms of pre-game experience. There's some small lots, not many, and tailgating doesn't seem to a priority. Walked around the football stadium at Duke and there didn't seem to be many areas for tailgating. Maybe less than North Carolina. Enjoy our one trip to Maryland. The best tailgating of the three, but not superior or on par with Florida State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
been to unc as well, not bad. i can add nc state and wake (non-Cuse game, dont ask).

unless my memory is completly shot, i think wake was the best of the 3.

BC?

They have little to no tailgating. There's the one grassy field next to the stadium, which is reserved for high donors, and that's about it.

People are going to be surprised when we join the ACC. I've tailgated at Florida State and it's very good. A lot of open fields around the stadium and many take it seriously. I've also tailgated at North Carolina and it's probably a tad below Syracuse in terms of pre-game experience. There's some small lots, not many, and tailgating doesn't seem to a priority. Walked around the football stadium at Duke and there didn't seem to be many areas for tailgating. Maybe less than North Carolina. Enjoy our one trip to Maryland. The best tailgating of the three, but not superior or on par with Florida State.

I have a buddy who is a big NC fan/booster. When I was down to RTC, he showed me the campus...very nice. They tailgate but he also said one of the best spots to go on game-day is the http://www.carolinabrewery.com/

We went there for dinner...had a great time.

We tailgate every year with a lot of success with pretty much zero support from SU and I am fine with that. As long as SU leaves at least a couple of paved lots for the general fan then groups like the Fine lot will be good. I would love to have a brick and mortar bathroom and an electric/water source but unfortunately I live on planet earth when it comes to the SU administration so I have zero expectation that they will ever get it at least in my lifetime.

We tailgate every year with a lot of success with pretty much zero support from SU and I am fine with that. As long as SU leaves at least a couple of paved lots for the general fan then groups like the Fine lot will be good. I would love to have a brick and mortar bathroom and an electric/water source but unfortunately I live on planet earth when it comes to the SU administration so I have zero expectation that they will ever get it at least in my lifetime.
Question not just for you but regarding the post. Do other schools have brick and mortar bathrooms just for tailgating? I have not seen any on my road trips so curious know .

Question not just for you but regarding the post. Do other schools have brick and mortar bathrooms just for tailgating? I have not seen any on my road trips so curious know .

Some do, when we tailgated at UConn they did. I dont think people are lookign for SU to build a small shack in the middle of the fine lot with a mens and womans restroom, but giving access to one of the new buildings or dining halls for gametime only would be a nice gesture. Up until a few years ago we literally had 1 porta john for the entire Fine Lot. SU at least now provides two which is a big help but I dont think there going to break the bank by providing another porta john and one of those handwashing areas with water. Tailgating can definitely increase attendance for SU games, I have seen it first hand, I am hoping someday someone at SU will get clued in but I am not holding my breath.

Need to add, tailgating at Virginia Tech is good to very good.

My rating

1. FSU
2. Maryland
3. Virginia Tech
4. North Carolina
5. Duke
6. BC

We do tailgate and we do it well.

Sent using my Commodore 64

I know you do. And I think there's a few thousand fans with a similar mindset as you and the Fine guys.

There are thousands more who just don't bother.

Back in my season ticket holding days, 1995-2003, my crew would tailgate at the old open lot on the corner of South Crouse across from Newhouse II. We were INTO it. We'd get there 4 hours early and do it up. We were always among the first people in the lot and it wouldn't fill up until maybe 60-90 minutes prior to kickoff. There were no passes, it was a pay lot, and I don't think it was more than $7-10. And the team was pretty darn good for much of that stretch, with lots of high-profile opponents.

My point is that anyone who wanted to could have pulled into that lot, which was a 5 minute walk to the Dome at most, and tailgated up a storm. Most people did not.

Kaiser is right, there just isn't a tailgate culture. I don't know why, but there isn't.

SU could do more, I'm sure, they always can do more. But from my experiences the horse just ain't gonna drink the water.

I know you do. And I think there's a few thousand fans with a similar mindset as you and the Fine guys.

There are thousands more who just don't bother.

Back in my season ticket holding days, 1995-2003, my crew would tailgate at the old open lot on the corner of South Crouse across from Newhouse II. We were INTO it. We'd get there 4 hours early and do it up. We were always among the first people in the lot and it wouldn't fill up until maybe 60-90 minutes prior to kickoff. There were no passes, it was a pay lot, and I don't think it was more than $7-10. And the team was pretty darn good for much of that stretch, with lots of high-profile opponents.

My point is that anyone who wanted to could have pulled into that lot, which was a 5 minute walk to the Dome at most, and tailgated up a storm. Most people did not.

Kaiser is right, there just isn't a tailgate culture. I don't know why, but there isn't.

SU could do more, I'm sure, they always can do more. But from my experiences the horse just ain't gonna drink the water.

I think there'd be more tailgaters if there was a better tailgating environment. A half dozen small lots around campus isn't a tailgating environment.

I think there'd be more tailgaters if there was a better tailgating environment. A half dozen small lots around campus isn't a tailgating environment.
I agree and disagree. There are lots with available spaces so there is room to tailgate..small lots and all. However, the environment could be assisted by the university. In some cases, I think that the people who don't tailgate have never tailgated. They just need to try it out and get hooked. So...offer a beer to those walking by! Also, maybe we need to create an instructional video.

BC?

My BC comment was comparing an urban-based private school with a similar alumni base to SU, and a similar climate. BC's tailgates are not mindblowing or anything and I am sure the southern ACC schools will be very very impressive I have no doubt. But when I worked in Boston I remember going to the see the game where we destroyed their season...I was at a tailgate sponsored by one of the investment banks - they all rent vans and have really big spreads...there were a TON of corporate sponsored tailgates and also a ton of just normal fans with substantial tailgate action as well. I've not seen anything like that at SU except in limited pockets.

But my main point was and is that I the excuses I've read for why SU doesn't promote a good tailgate scene don't make sense - too much change with going into the ACC, too much uncertainty with the new chancellor coming in etc. I see no reason why we shouldn't really up the ante on the pregame experience going into the ACC where everyone is used to having a really good tailgate scene. My thought was that given the weird parking set-up, that they just expand the thing on the quad and really turn it into something attractive to people --- maybe that's the wrong way to go, but no matter how it's done I would like to see it and don't know why we would wait for the next chancellor or whatever to make it happen.

What's a better environment, though? If it's having a few huge lots near the Dome, well that's never happening.

What do other schools do to "create" a better environment? I've been to other stadiums and I don't think it's really the school that causes it... it's the fans.

What's a better environment, though? If it's having a few huge lots near the Dome, well that's never happening.

What do other schools do to "create" a better environment? I've been to other stadiums and I don't think it's really the school that causes it... it's the fans.

I think we should be allowed to tailgate on the sidelines, during the games... Until that happens, we will never be an elite football school

And I think we need to get back to the OPs original point... Every game that goes by without CuseTroop at the dome, means less money for SU. Pony up your nickles, send me to the dome... I have dome foams to drink!

So what you're saying is, we need to drink more... Challenge accepted. Someone fly me to the dome, I'll increase beer sales in the dome.

idk about everyone else, but I could tailgate for hours, and still drink the same amount in the dome.. As long as someone is driving me home of course
I didn't even make it to the elipsis before i hit like.

As much as it pains me to say it I was impressed with Rutgers (yuck) tailgating when I was there for the big win in 2010. Walk around with a friend of mine, ran into some other youngish SU people and walked into a giant pit of Rutgers people drinking, eating, and chanting at us. I enjoyed it. SU is just spread out. The fan makes the experience. I'm a local and all most people do is work hard to find excuses to complain.

been to unc as well, not bad. i can add nc state and wake (non-Cuse game, dont ask).

unless my memory is completly shot, i think wake was the best of the 3.
Wake Forest tailgate! O.M.G. They are profsionals

I do visit a number of tailgates each game day. My mindset on original post was getting more casual fans to become hard core season ticket holders. I know that most of the people I visit (straw poll last year) were season ticket holders. That is the idea I floated but as someone said their is no coordination of detail - and I call that being a lack of leadership.

Corporate tailgates is an interesting concept but I wonder about liability.

Finally I floated the idea to have more "themed" game days (not all of them either) for the "casual fan" like free concerts pre game just like at the final four (taste of Syracuse, etc). Many native Atlanta folks came to the event just to listen and party - concession lines were always full ($$$). The answer I got up on the hill you don't want to hear...

Rutgers tailgated in a park, and there was a parkhouse there.

Rutgers tailgated in a park, and there was a parkhouse there.
If I translated correctly, I am thinking you tailgated in a public park that had a public restroom? Is that correct...or was it part of the Rutgers campus? How far from the stadium was it?

I agree and disagree. There are lots with available spaces so there is room to tailgate..small lots and all. However, the environment could be assisted by the university. In some cases, I think that the people who don't tailgate have never tailgated. They just need to try it out and get hooked. So...offer a beer to those walking by! Also, maybe we need to create an instructional video.

Title of the video would be "This is How You Get Off Your Ass and Have a Good Time". I am all for it.

If I translated correctly, I am thinking you tailgated in a public park that had a public restroom? Is that correct...or was it part of the Rutgers campus? How far from the stadium was it?

It was across the street from the stadium.

The tailgating was directly across the street from the stadium. There were public bathrooms in the park that we were tailgating in. Whether it was part of the Rutgers campus, I am not sure. But it was very convenient, and, pricey!

The tailgating was directly across the street from the stadium. There were public bathrooms in the park that we were tailgating in. Whether it was part of the Rutgers campus, I am not sure. But it was very convenient, and, pricey!
Thanks. Good to know what others do even if it's just Rutgers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom