Class of 2018 - Taj Harris to play fb and bb | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Taj Harris to play fb and bb

You mean that he'll be allowed to join the hoops team after FB season ends in January, but he'll have to rejoin the FB team for Spring Ball in March.

The March thing will be a big problem every April when we are in the FF ;)

LOL, I suspect you're right about Newhouse. I guess it all comes down to money. Would the school benefit more financially from maintaining the super high standards of excellence and competitiveness? Or, would the influx of money to the University from enticing recruits with broadcasting aspirations prove more fruitful if it meant greater success for the men's basketball team. SU hoops is a HUGE money maker for SU.

Probably nothing will change, but who knows. Money talks...

As a Newhouse grad, I hope the school doesn't cheapen it so an athlete can shoe horn into a highly demanding program over a kid who was selected to go there and is probably paying the full freight as well. I thought all athletes do the VPA route b/c it's less intensive for their scheduling/didn't have the grades to get into Newhouse. I can't recall when I was there (94-98) one football/hoops/lacrosse player in the Newhouse program. I'm sure i'm forgetting someone but can't remember off top of my head.

As a Newhouse grad, I hope the school doesn't cheapen it so an athlete can shoe horn into a highly demanding program over a kid who was selected to go there and is probably paying the full freight as well. I thought all athletes do the VPA route b/c it's less intensive for their scheduling/didn't have the grades to get into Newhouse. I can't recall when I was there (94-98) one football/hoops/lacrosse player in the Newhouse program. I'm sure i'm forgetting someone but can't remember off top of my head.

I agree. I'm not advocating cheapening the standards at all. But maybe some elective classes or a minor for athletes? I don't know if it's feasible, but I'd love for there to be a way to use the program to our advantage without damaging the reputation and standards.

I agree. I'm not advocating cheapening the standards at all. But maybe some elective classes or a minor for athletes? I don't know if it's feasible, but I'd love for there to be a way to use the program to our advantage without damaging the reputation and standards.

I think that's VPA honestly. If you are asking is there a way to rebrand it so kids can say they went to Newhouse and got a VPA like education, i'm not sure the answer to that. I'd be curious if the engineering school would allow that if the kid wanted to do 4 years instead of 5? I feel like people look at Newhouse as something that can be watered down versus a kid who decides to do engineering/premed/etc. Just my two cents.

I think that's VPA honestly. If you are asking is there a way to rebrand it so kids can say they went to Newhouse and got a VPA like education, i'm not sure the answer to that. I'd be curious if the engineering school would allow that if the kid wanted to do 4 years instead of 5? I feel like people look at Newhouse as something that can be watered down versus a kid who decides to do engineering/premed/etc. Just my two cents.

As someone with no affiliation with Newhouse, I value your opinion. I have no clue if it's even feasible. I just like the idea of trying to use it to our advantage, if there was a way to do it without tarnishing the reputation. Truth be told I don't even know what VPA is... I'm just trying to think outside the box, and be creative with our recruiting challenges. Thanks for your input.

So,

Here we are.

What do we know about this player.

In the article on Syracuse.com it mentions his interest in the school of Newhouse. I think the communications program should be a bigger selling point than it is in recruiting. Not every kid is cut out to be an NBA player, but I bet many guys would love to have the backup plan of a sports broadcaster career.

It may only appeal to certain guys, but I think it it something we could use to our advantage.
Yeah. I bet the coaches never mention that. It's a hidden gem the kids discover once on campus.

Last edited:
He’s guard size but I wonder if his wide receiver hands and football athleticism could make him useful all over (defense/rebounding) if we ever needed 3 min spirts

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom