Class of 2018 - Taj Harris to play fb and bb | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Taj Harris to play fb and bb

In the article on Syracuse.com it mentions his interest in the school of Newhouse. I think the communications program should be a bigger selling point than it is in recruiting. Not every kid is cut out to be an NBA player, but I bet many guys would love to have the backup plan of a sports broadcaster career.

It may only appeal to certain guys, but I think it it something we could use to our advantage.

In the article on Syracuse.com it mentions his interest in the school of Newhouse. I think the communications program should be a bigger selling point than it is in recruiting. Not every kid is cut out to be an NBA player, but I bet many guys would love to have the backup plan of a sports broadcaster career.

It may only appeal to certain guys, but I think it it something we could use to our advantage.

You would think so. But how many of our recruits can apply to and be accepted to Newhouse? Probably none. Perhaps if there was a separate program or elective that athletes could participate in...I wonder what it would take to set that up.

You would think so. But how many of our recruits can apply to and be accepted to Newhouse? Probably none. Perhaps if there was a separate program or elective that athletes could participate in...I wonder what it would take to set that up.
Pretty sure you have to be enrolled in an accredited degree program. The idea of elective courses is good though.

As a product of the Newhouse broadcast journalism program, I have no idea how an athlete can attend practices and games and still have time to do the extracurriculars that are required of a broadcast journalism student.

Why are you saying none. I'm sure quite a few could handle the academics.

I like the elective idea, or perhaps tweaking the program for athletic interest?

I don't know, but maybe just maybe there is a way to use this to help recruiting?

Why are you saying none. I'm sure quite a few could handle the academics.

I said "probably none," and maybe I'm mistaken. I just assume that it's incredibly hard to get into. Not trying to disparage our student-athletes. I'm a VPA grad, so I probably couldn't have gotten in either! I do think a seminar or something could be cool for athletes who have limited time (as Frozen mentioned).

But anyway, I'm interested to see how Taj pursues this. Two-sport athletes are a special thing nowadays.

Newhouse is very tough to get in to. It's one thing to admit a kid in to general studies. It's another to take a spot from a kid that has the grades to get in to Newhouse.

Eh, so was Custis. Until the realities of over-specialization for a D-I sport set in.

It's too bad, I love the dual-sport kids, but this probably won't happen.

True. Some guard depth even to go against in practice would be huge if this kid could manage and was a competent player. Part of the reason, IMO, SU has been struggling and overmatched at the guard spots most of the past four years directly correlates to practice. With no guard depth and the starters (who played almost 40mpg!) basically practicing against walkons; what does one expect?

Newhouse is very tough to get in to. It's one thing to admit a kid in to general studies. It's another to take a spot from a kid that has the grades to get in to Newhouse.

Agreed, that's why I'm thinking maybe there's a way of tweaking the program so that there is a less competitive/athletic program? Or maybe allowing some elective courses?

I don't know if it's feasible or not, but I'm trying to think outside the box with recruiting. Anything that could give us an edge.

I've seen guys that proved to be valuable sports broadcasters that I never would've expected. Guys like Barkley, Shaq and others.

It would take some work to revise or create a new athlete focused Newhouse division but it could help?

Anyhow, I think outside the box thinking nearly always generates new fresh ideas... and occasionally they work.

True. Some guard depth even to go against in practice would be huge if this kid could manage and was a competent player. Part of the reason, IMO, SU has been struggling and overmatched at the guard spots most of the past four years directly correlates to practice. With no guard depth and the starters (who played almost 40mpg!) basically practicing against walkons; what does one expect?
Yeah, I see no harm in letting Harris try. Not easy to pull off, but hoops can definitely use more athletes.

Agreed, that's why I'm thinking maybe there's a way of tweaking the program so that there is a less competitive/athletic program? Or maybe allowing some elective courses?

I don't know if it's feasible or not, but I'm trying to think outside the box with recruiting. Anything that could give us an edge.

I've seen guys that proved to be valuable sports broadcasters that I never would've expected. Guys like Barkley, Shaq and others.

It would take some work to revise or create a new athlete focused Newhouse division but it could help?

Anyhow, I think outside the box thinking nearly always generates new fresh ideas... and occasionally they work.
Couldn't we set up no show, paper only, automatic "A" classes, open to all students.

Back in the day a lot of them did Speech Comm through VPA.

I don't get the impression Newhouse would stand for an athlete scheme. Most competitive school on campus.

Back in the day a lot of them did Speech Comm through VPA.

I don't get the impression Newhouse would stand for an athlete scheme. Most competitive school on campus.

LOL, I suspect you're right about Newhouse. I guess it all comes down to money. Would the school benefit more financially from maintaining the super high standards of excellence and competitiveness? Or, would the influx of money to the University from enticing recruits with broadcasting aspirations prove more fruitful if it meant greater success for the men's basketball team. SU hoops is a HUGE money maker for SU.

Probably nothing will change, but who knows. Money talks....

LOL, I suspect you're right about Newhouse. I guess it all comes down to money. Would the school benefit more financially from maintaining the super high standards of excellence and competitiveness? Or, would the influx of money to the University from enticing recruits with broadcasting aspirations prove more fruitful if it meant greater success for the men's basketball team. SU hoops is a HUGE money maker for SU.

Probably nothing will change, but who knows. Money talks...

They wouldn't play with their credibility, I wouldn't think. Then again they offer a school on how to be a sports stats guy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom