Targeting | Syracusefan.com

Targeting

hungrychuck

All Conference
I have to admit that I don’t understand this rule.

I thought the hit by the Ohio player was about as blatant as I have ever seen.

And then saw a borderline hit in tonight’s USC-LsU game called at a critical time.

As Vince Lombardi once said, “What the hell is going on out there?”

The hit on us was 100% . Idk how it wasn't called
Shameless. I'm the last one to throw suspicion on officials, but with the EXTREME emphasis on targeting being pushed and that one hitting every single element involved in the definition of targeting in the rulebook, I can only guess that the referee didn't want to not only tack on 15 to the return after Ohio was held out of the end zone, but also didn't want to eject the player.

The MAC should come clean on this and honestly that official should be suspended. In the name of player safety if nothing else.

In
Shameless. I'm the last one to throw suspicion on officials, but with the EXTREME emphasis on targeting being pushed and that one hitting every single element involved in the definition of targeting in the rulebook, I can only guess that the referee didn't want to not only tack on 15 to the return after Ohio was held out of the end zone, but also didn't want to eject the player.

The MAC should come clean on this and honestly that official should be suspended. In the name of player safety if nothing else.
In the larger view I suppose, why do we have a visiting team bringing its refs?

That seems crazy.

First and foremost, it was a hit out on a player that was already out of bounds. And a pretty clear one at that. Then on top of that, the player launched, clearly targeted the helmet, and made pretty aggressive helmet to helmet contact.

But the icing was the fact that however many officials directly reviewed the video and then ruled that it wasn’t targeting. I think the entire lot should be suspended. This goes above and beyond game impact / outcome, we’re talking about player safety.

Last edited:
The MAC refs were just getting SU ready for the ACC refs. Kind of surprised we didn't see a "Pants too high over the knee" penalty. Maybe if the game was closer at the end we would of.

And yes, I know players now basically wear biking shorts and that penalty doesn't exist as it "once" was.

I did enjoy the one referee decided penalty that Ohio got after the turnover on downs that effectively finished the game. The ref held the flag until the play was dead. The gave what seemed like a fu to Syracuse flag.

Last edited:
Honestly, it seems to me that 50% of the time the replay booth is not even reviewing the replay.

Maybe its D&D 20 sided dice?

Has anyone ever shown what they have to review plays with? I get that some plays happen pretty fast, but do they have 20 yr old Tivo, or something that can actually go back and forth in time pretty fast so they can decide if they want to review angles?

But then when they do replay how do they get it wrong so often and why does it have to be kept secret?

I know the NFL/MLB still get some wrong as well but not nearly as many as CFB does.

Please let us know if Mike actually does respond. Genuinely curious what he would say there. At first I thought I might have missed that he got pushed. But that's obviously not the case. Missing that is indefensible, especially on replay.

I know we all can have very knee jerk reactions during the game about officials, but 2 days later with all of the emotion out of it, I really think that was one of the worst officiated football games I’ve ever watched and I’ve been around the game since I was a child. If officials were to hold a class on what targeting is they could use that hit as one of the example videos, it’s that much of a textbook targeting call. And yet somehow these refs review it, see that, and determine it’s a legal hit? Mind boggling.

It's one thing to blow some calls live - holding, etc. - just like the players this is also week 1 for the refs. But to review that targeting and somehow come to the conclusion it was a safe, legal play is beyond absurd. As others have stated whoever made that final decision should be at least suspended in the name of player safety. We're all lucky that didn't result in a significant head injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom