TC's career 3 pt shooting stats | Syracusefan.com

TC's career 3 pt shooting stats

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
127 for 378. (33.6 percent)

Mind you , that includes a torrid stretch the beginning of last year that rapidly halted once conference play began. 378 attempts isnt really that many shot attempts in terms of a college career for a designated shooter so there is some hope he can turn it around. Its just that though, hope.

Mind you , that includes a torrid stretch the beginning of last year that rapidly halted once conference play began. 378 attempts isnt really that many shot attempts in terms of a college career for a designated shooter so there is some hope he can turn it around. Its just that though, hope.

Turn it around? He is not a good shooter. He is not going to turn it around. He has been terrible against bad teams where there is no pressure and he gets wide open looks. Little chance he gets better when conference play starts and he actually gets guarded. If it were that easy to get a lot better, more guys would get better. But most do not. Hate to say it - but I think people stereotype when they see a white kid playing shooting guard and assume he is a great shooter.

Turn it around? He is not a good shooter. He is not going to turn it around. He has been terrible against bad teams where there is no pressure and he gets wide open looks. Little chance he gets better when conference play starts and he actually gets guarded. If it were that easy to get a lot better, more guys would get better. But most do not. Hate to say it - but I think people stereotype when they see a white kid playing shooting guard and assume he is a great shooter.

stop... just stop.

Gerry shot 34% and 33.4% his jr and sr season on 315 and 308 shots.

Cooney just needs to relax and let fly. He'll get his comfort back. And I bet his career will be looked back at very fondly.

You can't make the "white guy" argument when Cooney had a stretch shooting like he did a year ago. That's why everybody believes he can shoot, because we saw him do incredible things shooting the ball last year.

If he never had that stretch, you could make that argument, I'd still believe you were wrong, but at least you could make that argument.

Cooney is not the typical designated shooter though. He is a legit athlete.

CusefanATL said:
stop... just stop.

Cooney just needs to relax and let fly. He'll get his comfort back. And I bet his career will be looked back at very fondly.

Those stats are a little skewed. He chucked up a lot of shots his last season, simply because he had to and the rest of the team stunk.

He's drifting backwards on too many of his shots. Needs to take a smaller jump and just shoot. Starting too look like the way Gerry used to shoot.

GMac wasn't a pure shooter (other than free throws). He's probably not the best guy to be coaching our guys on shooting.

He's drifting backwards on too many of his shots. Needs to take a smaller jump and just shoot. Starting too look like the way Gerry used to shoot.

GMac wasn't a pure shooter (other than free throws). He's probably not the best guy to be coaching our guys on shooting.
Heresy!

stop... just stop.

Game was also not a "great" shooter.
By great I mean %-wise. Kyle Korver is a great shooter.

That being said, I want gmac shooting it with the game on the line.

Gmac also ran the offense, so he was also much more involved than cooney is, even when the shot isn't falling.

Warning: what I'm about to say will cause some posters to faint…

If you take character completely out of the equation, I think Cooney and DeShaun Williams have very similar skill sets. They're the same size (6'3, 195ish), slightly undersized as a shooting guard, average ball handling, they're talented offensive players however very streaky from the perimeter and thus are capable of very poor shooting nights, and both very good athletes. Cooney obviously plays with more passion and emotion and is not a cancer to the team.

I'm more concerned about his overall FG % at this point. For the year it's now under 40% and for his career it's now at 38%.

With the number of shots he takes, this has to be higher.

Whether it be better threes, more floaters, mid range, whatever, it needs to be better.

It's his fourth year in the program and his role is still unclear. Last year he was asked to do way too much running around like Ray Allen.

If you take character completely out of the equation, I think Cooney and DeShaun Williams have very similar skill sets. They're the same size (6'3, 195ish), slightly undersized as a shooting guard, average ball handling, they're talented offensive players however very streaky from the perimeter and thus are capable of very poor shooting nights, and both very good athletes. Cooney obviously plays with more passion and emotion and is not a cancer to the team.

And Cooney is a good defender.

At this point I just hope Cooney plays good/decent defense. The kid is easy to defend and can shoot if he gets space. Obviously that is on him but this debate is pointless JB thinks he is he best option and has given him high 30 mpg nothing is going to change.

I'm more concerned about his overall FG % at this point. For the year it's now under 40% and for his career it's now at 38%.

With the number of shots he takes, this has to be higher.

Whether it be better threes, more floaters, mid range, whatever, it needs to be better.

It's his fourth year in the program and his role is still unclear. Last year he was asked to do way too much running around like Ray Allen.

It's basically because he takes so many 3's. For his career, he's made nearly half of his 2 pointers (49%). (he's made 60% so far this year, albeit 12-20).

He's probably just miscast in the role he has for the team right now. I'm willing to give him a bit of a pass for his shooting as a freshmen, I think he's probably a 34-35% 3 point shooter, give or take. That's not terrible, he's a good defender, you can make that work. But he's being expected to play the role of designated 3 point shooter, and that may not play into all of his strengths. Even just looking at last year and this year, he's taking about 71% of his shots from 3 point range. Maybe that's a little too high, he's athletic enough where he isn't completely lost inside the arc.

I can't wait for Malachi Richardson to arrive. Sorry but Cooney's perimeter shooting has been awful this year and at this point (red shirt junior) he is what he is. An elite program should have better or at least another alternative.

The diff is...if deshaun wanted to be good he could have been. Really good. But he said F**k it!

I can't wait for Malachi Richardson to arrive. Sorry but Cooney's perimeter shooting has been awful this year and at this point (red shirt junior) he is what he is. An elite program should have better or at least another alternative.
And if Malachi doesn't play up to the level of your expectations, are you going to dump on him too?

The diff is...if deshaun wanted to be good he could have been. Really good. But he said F**k it!

Yep lot of talent wasted there.

DeShaun Williams, for his faults off the court, was a talented offensive player who could get to the basket against tough defensive teams. Cooney does not have near the handle as DeShaun did. Also, Cooney had 38 assists last year playing 32 minutes a game. Williams quadrupled that as a sophomore.

They're really not that similar. DeShaun was much more talented - he just didn't care.

And if Malachi doesn't play up to the level of your expectations, are you going to dump on him too?
I didn't say to dump anyone. Like other elite programs there should be an alternative for PT if a player consistently under performs.

at this point i guess i've lowered my expectations (sounds like JB has too) on our deep threats. i just expect them to miss anymore .
and when they occasionally do go in i leap out of my chair and celebrate like i've just watched some 5 year old blind orphan girl with polio in a wheelchair sink a half court halftime shot to win both parents, vision and a vaccine. then i realize that leaping is a little disrespectful.

Those stats are a little skewed. He chucked up a lot of shots his last season, simply because he had to and the rest of the team stunk.

How is this different than what Cooney has to do now? Everybody else stinks from behind the arc on this team.