TC's career 3 pt shooting stats | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

TC's career 3 pt shooting stats

127 for 378. (33.6 percent)

Mind you , that includes a torrid stretch the beginning of last year that rapidly halted once conference play began. 378 attempts isnt really that many shot attempts in terms of a college career for a designated shooter so there is some hope he can turn it around. Its just that though, hope.

I know, Scoop Jardine (a person who would light the board afire for even attempting a three mind you) even shot better than that. Much better to be honest.

He even outshot him as a Sophomore (far less attempts obviously).

Different teams, the comparison are never quite apples to apples, but it's disconcerting to see him miss so many open ones to start a year. Good shooters hit open shots - Cooney hasn't been. He does seem like a good athlete, but he's still not giving us enough to really warrant loads of PT (although I'm not sure we have a better option).

We have no consistency at all from the 2.

Last edited:
stevie thompson shot 30% deep. and was also one of our best ever defenders and finishers.

I know, Scoop Jardine (a person who would light the board afire for even attempting a three mind you) even shot better than that. Much better to be honest.

He even outshot him as a Sophomore.

Jardine would shoot wide open threes every once in awhile (a little more than 2 per game). Cooney, like GMac and Rautins, does not often get the luxury of uncontested threes. Not an apples to apples comparison.

Anybody else realize that we had 3 starters who shot 40%+ from 3pt range on the 2009-10 team? We also had Scoop shooting 39% off the bench.

That's insane.

Jardine would shoot wide open threes every once in awhile (a little more than 2 per game). Cooney, like GMac and Rautins, does not often get the luxury of uncontested threes. Not an apples to apples comparison.

lol...I added that apples to apples line before you posted this!

I know, my point being, just that he was skewered for shooting threes - and by percentage he actually shot better. He shot over 150 his Junior year, over 50 his Sophomore year, and over 100 his Senior year. That's a tad more than once in awhile - but I do get your point.

Different teams, etc...

Cooney has been shooting a lot of wide open threes this year. Hasn't made a difference. It's concerning.

Those stats are a little skewed. He chucked up a lot of shots his last season, simply because he had to and the rest of the team stunk.

The rest of the team this year stinks even more. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

The rest of the team this year stinks even more. ;)

Cheers,
Neil
Well "stinks" is a little harsh (if your post wasn't tongue and cheek). In that case you're playing my role (doom and gloom) from FB. Either way, I think we can agree that this year's team is inexperienced. Our backcourt and SF's need to improve in every area -- this is no secret. We don't have the luxury of a savant running the offense this year -- or a 6'6 PG slashing in for amazing finishes like we had 2 years ago. KJ's played 6 college games. People need to breathe. Our SF's are also very, very green, having played little last year. If we had experienced kids .. showing no talent or effort... I'd join the chorus of complainers. But that's not the case -- we're just young.

I wouldn't give up on Cooney either. IMO, he is actually playing well -- handling the ball like an upperclassman, helping against pressure, defending pretty well, getting some steels, penetrating inside and drawing fouls and even showing some leadership on the court. He just hasn't found his shooting rhythm -- but it's November for Pete's sake. Let's give him another month or two before we start crucifying him.

While this team is going to require some patience, there's light at the end of the tunnel. Last year --- we were 25 and 0, but tanked down the stretch because we were a one-dimensional team. This year, by contrast, thank god we don't have to live on the jump shot. We have two talented, productive inside guys ... giving us 30+ per game from the 4 and 5.

So let's give the younger guys some room. I think you're going to like what you see after another month or two of development. Some years we get a high seed and then implode post-season. This may be a year when we barely get in with a lower seed, and then do damage.

Last edited:
The Cooney debate will never end -- at the end of the day this is his 4th year with the program. He should be much further along than he is. It appears the best we can hope for is a steady role player at the shooting guard position who can play some defense and "do the little things" while hitting an occasional shot here and there.

Well "stinks" is a little harsh. You're playing my role (doom and gloom) from FB. More accurately, we're inexperienced. Our backcourt and SF's need to improve in every area -- this is no secret. We don't have the luxury of a savant running the offense this year -- or a 6'6 PG slashing in for amazing finishes like we had 2 years ago. KJ's played 6 college games. Breathe. Our SF's are also very, very green, having played little last year. If we had experienced kids .. showing no talent or effort... I'd agree with you. But that's not the case -- we're just young.

I wouldn't give up on Cooney either. IMO, he is actually playing well -- handling the ball like an upperclassman, helping against pressure, defending pretty well, getting some steels, penetrating inside and drawing fouls and even showing some leadership on the court. He just hasn't found his shooting rhythm -- but it's November for Pete's sake. Let's give him another month or two before we start crucifying him.

This team is going to require some patience. I actually like what I'm seeing. Last year --- we were 25 and 0, but tanked down the stretch because we were a one-dimensional team. This year, by contrast, thank god we don't have to live on the jump shot. We have two talented, productive inside guys ... giving us 30+ per game from the 4 and 5.

So let's give the younger guys some room. I think you're going to like what you see after another month or two of development. Some years we get a high seed and then implode post-season. This may be a year when we barely get in with a lower seed, and then do damage.

The poster I was replying to was referring specifically to three-point shooting last year and used the phrase "the rest of the team stunk" - again referring to 3 point shooting only. I pointed out that this year's team is even worse in terms of 3-point shooting, which it truly is. If we can't hit threes against the likes of Loyola and HC (2-26 in those two games), then I don't see much hope of significant improvement in that area as the season goes on.

None of which means that this team can't win. It just has to develop an offense that doesn't rely on taking a lot of threes.

Cheers,
Neil

There's no doubt in my mind he is going to have a rautins-like senior year. The board was saying the exact same stuff about Andy...
Agreed.
His career trajectory reads alot like Andy's in terms of hitting his 3's consistently.
The 6-OT Game was the first time, IMO, that Rautins appeared to turn the corner.
He hit some monster shots that eventually won us the game, and by the time he came back senior year, he was locked-in.
Problem with Cooney is that he doesn't have experienced players around him to cushion things...they're all in the NBA (Ennis, Grant, MCW, etc.).
He's one of the focal points, maybe the most important part of this team. And so far...

I'm more concerned about his overall FG % at this point. For the year it's now under 40% and for his career it's now at 38%.

With the number of shots he takes, this has to be higher.

Whether it be better threes, more floaters, mid range, whatever, it needs to be better.

It's his fourth year in the program and his role is still unclear. Last year he was asked to do way too much running around like Ray Allen.

Nothing new. Neither Andy Rautins nor Gerry McNamara's overall shooting career percentage was 40% or over. In fact last year, Trevor's 3 pt % of 37.5% was higher than every year of Gerry's career except his sophomore year(38.9%) and every year but Andy's senior year of 40.7%.

DeShaun Williams, for his faults off the court, was a talented offensive player who could get to the basket against tough defensive teams. Cooney does not have near the handle as DeShaun did. Also, Cooney had 38 assists last year playing 32 minutes a game. Williams quadrupled that as a sophomore.

They're really not that similar. DeShaun was much more talented - he just didn't care.

If I was picking a team... Im taking Cooney so far over DeShaun its not even funny.

Cooney is very underrated based on this forum. He is a good player. Not a great player... but a good player.

Nothing new. Neither Andy Rautins nor Gerry McNamara's overall shooting career percentage was 40% or over. In fact last year, Trevor's 3 pt % of 37.5% was higher than every year of Gerry's career except his sophomore year(38.9%) and every year but Andy's senior year of 40.7%.

Cooney shot 30.9% from 3-pt. range against ACC competition in the regular season (42-136). 1-for-6 vs. NC State, 0-for-4 vs. Dayton. 29.4% over final 20 high-level games of the year. Plus his putrid 27.3% from deep through five games already this year.

As a senior, Gerry McNamara - even while playing hurt and having to do everything for a team that by all accounts would not have won 10 games without him - shot 33.4% from three against conference opponents as a senior, taking twice as many shots and being the focal point of the offense. Then went 16-for-35 in the BE Tournament.

Rautins - a much better comparison - as a redshirt junior shot 38.7% from three-point range against BE opponents. Much, much better than 30.9% and 27.3%.

Cooney is not close to either - and really needs to be replaced or get his head screwed on straight if the offense is going to take a step up.

If I was picking a team... Im taking Cooney so far over DeShaun its not even funny.

Cooney is very underrated based on this forum. He is a good player. Not a great player... but a good player.

If you are picking a team purely based on talent, it's not even a question Williams is the more talented player.

board trivia question:
who said "the baskets were moving"

To me, those aren't apples to apples. Rautins continuously improved and became the primary ball handler his senior year.

While I'm not as bullish on GMAc as others, he was put into very demanding situations with that 2004 class not developing as quickly as we thought.

My worry with Cooney is that he just isn't being used correctly. I know I'm not JB, but he's not a big assist guy or big rebound guy. He's not shooting well enough to be a three and D guy and he doesn't have the offensive skill set to be a stat stuffer across the board.

Last year was tough watching him run around without the ball just to either see the ball black-holed to CJ or not getting as free as he needed on a curl or just losing his legs and drifting on his shot.

If you are picking a team purely based on talent, it's not even a question Williams is the more talented player.

and if you were picking only on talent, Larry Bird would never be picked. And you would be stupid.

To me, those aren't apples to apples. Rautins continuously improved and became the primary ball handler his senior year.

While I'm not as bullish on GMAc as others, he was put into very demanding situations with that 2004 class not developing as quickly as we thought.

My worry with Cooney is that he just isn't being used correctly. I know I'm not JB, but he's not a big assist guy or big rebound guy. He's not shooting well enough to be a three and D guy and he doesn't have the offensive skill set to be a stat stuffer across the board.

Last year was tough watching him run around without the ball just to either see the ball black-holed to CJ or not getting as free as he needed on a curl or just losing his legs and drifting on his shot.

you lost me at "the primary ball handler"

you lost me at "the primary ball handler"

Why?

He averaged 5 assists per game his senior year.

Thy was more than half an assist per game more than Scoop and more than 2 assists per game more than Brandon.

Both Scoop and BT averaged low 20s in minutes while Andy averaged low 30s.

Plus, if you watched that team, it would be apparent he was used significantly as a ball handler.

and if you were picking only on talent, Larry Bird would never be picked. And you would be stupid.

That's not true at all. Larry Bird was extremely talented.

That's not true at all. Larry Bird was extremely talented.
Who couldn't jump worth a lick, ran upcourt like my grandmother, and generally looked as plump and pasty as the Pillsbury dough boy.
Bird was however, along w/ Magic and other greats, EXTREMELY cerebral.
He couldn't use athletic gifts, aka TALENT, like Jordan because he didn't possess any to a great degree.
He had great stamina, drive, and a great eye for passing and shooting, that's for sure. And no one THOUGHT the game better than Bird, had fundamentals down like Bird, and used his strengths to his advantage better than Bird.
But physical "athlete" in its purest terms??? No way.