TC's career 3 pt shooting stats | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

TC's career 3 pt shooting stats

Bird could shoot with either hand - lights out - he's the best passer of all time that's not a PG - he's about as athletic as Tim Duncan - he's an all time great because his talent level as a basketball player was far far superior to anyone on the court

Bird could shoot with either hand - lights out - he's the best passer of all time that's not a PG - he's about as athletic as Tim Duncan - he's an all time great because his talent level as a basketball player was far far superior to anyone on the court
Fair enough- but ultimately this comes down to one's definition of "talent level".
MJ 's talent level (jumping, running, reflexes, etc.), were off the charts. Magic and Duncan's "talent levels" were great, but I wouldn't call them high-risers or exceptionally quick even though they're 2 of the all-time greats. I'd put Bird in that category.
Here's an analogy from baseball: Babe Ruth was a great baseball PLAYER, but no one would consider him a great athlete especially later in his career when he was hitting all those HR's. As a pitcher he was also great in that he had exceptional hand-eye coordination, power, flexibility, etc.- but he wasn't gonna win any 5o yard dashes or high-jump competitions.
Suffice to say Bird was a great basketball player, but in no way was his talent level, speaking strictly in a physical sense, superior or exceptional. JMHO

yeah, we agree - Bird wasn't the most athletic guy on the court - he just had the most basketball talent on the court - every time he put his shoes on

How is this different than what Cooney has to do now? Everybody else stinks from behind the arc on this team.

Cooney is the only good shooter (and I am using the term good very loosely here) on this team. GMac was the only good player on that team, period.

So here's something that occurs to me: when we talk about "shooters" at SU in the last decade or so, we obviously go immediately to GMac, Rautins, and Cooney. There's one shooter we're all forgetting who, frankly when you get right down to it, I would love to have taking shots for us.

Here are some career 3 PT stats from the last decade or so:

Player A: .378, 550 career attempts
Player B: .374, 754 career attempts
Player C: .370, 413 career attempts
Player D: .358, 573 career attempts
Player E: .354, 1131 career attempts
Player F: .336, 378 career attempts

Anyone know who the best three point shooter of the last decade has been?

EDIT: Should be pretty obvious who E and F are, based on attempts.

Last edited:
So here's something that occurs to me: when we talk about "shooters" at SU in the last decade or so, we obviously go immediately to GMac, Rautins, and Cooney. There's one shooter we're all forgetting who, frankly when you get right down to it, I would love to have taking shots for us.

Player C: .358, 573 career attempts
Player D: .354, 1131 career attempts
Player E: .336, 378 career attempts

EDIT: Should be pretty obvious who D and E are, based on attempts.

Hey, my first guess was right!

You could throw Scoop on the list too, about 50 fewer shots than E though

Hey, my first guess was right!

You could throw Scoop on the list too, about 50 fewer shots than E though
Yeah, that's why I didn't include him. He didn't have a big enough sample size.

Cooney is not close to either - and really needs to be replaced or get his head screwed on straight if the offense is going to take a step up.

Cooney is not a great player by any stretch of the imagination, but he is a good player - solid on defense and fairly efficient offense, even when mired in a prolonged slump from the arc . . . just who on the roster is going to replace him? Patterson? Gbinije? LMFAO

oh, and, not to get into it yet again, but your McNamara hagiography is 75% bullshjt

Player C: .358, 573 career attempts
Player D: .354, 1131 career attempts
Player E: .336, 378 career attempts

EDIT: Should be pretty obvious who D and E are, based on attempts.

Devo and Rautins are A and B.

Cooney shot 30.9% from 3-pt. range against ACC competition in the regular season (42-136). 1-for-6 vs. NC State, 0-for-4 vs. Dayton. 29.4% over final 20 high-level games of the year. Plus his putrid 27.3% from deep through five games already this year.

As a senior, Gerry McNamara - even while playing hurt and having to do everything for a team that by all accounts would not have won 10 games without him - shot 33.4% from three against conference opponents as a senior, taking twice as many shots and being the focal point of the offense. Then went 16-for-35 in the BE Tournament.

Rautins - a much better comparison - as a redshirt junior shot 38.7% from three-point range against BE opponents. Much, much better than 30.9% and 27.3%.

Cooney is not close to either - and really needs to be replaced or get his head screwed on straight if the offense is going to take a step up.

We complain about Cooney's 1-7's or 3-10's. I saw Gerry have games 5-19 or 6-20 while I sat in the student section. I wasn't on the board then, but I can't imagine he got nearly the criticism Cooney gets.

Let's get over the Gerry hyperbole. He won us a couple of big east tournaments, was awesome in the title game, and played great one year against BYU in the tournament.

Gerry McNamara was not a great shooter. Andy Rautins and Eric Devendorf were.

Yeah, that's why I didn't include him. He didn't have a big enough sample size.

I'm probably being a huge idiot, for the life of me I cant figure out E.

Edit: Yup, I was being an idiot. Carry on

I'm probably being a huge idiot, for the life of me I cant figure out E
A: Devo
B: Rautins
C: Dirty
D: Nichols
E: GMac
F: Cooney

I realize now I have two "C's" in there, so E should be F.