TCU - Very Disappointed | Syracusefan.com

TCU - Very Disappointed

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
I had heard/read that the Big 12 did not want to add a Texas school. I guess minds changed pretty quickly.

I was hoping that TCU would stay put and that Houston would be added by the BE in order to create a Texas rivalry.

The move by TCU makes sense - it allows the school to revive old rivalries with former SWC stable mates Texas Tech, and Texas. So, it's tough to argue with what has happened.

I wonder what the BE people are doing about the situation.

As I have said, I think it benefits our program for the BE to survive - I don't want either UConn or Rutgers in the ACC.

Not signing that TV deal looks more and more misguided. Ugh.

It'll be interesting to see what made Texas change its mind about adding another Texas school. there must have been some sort of agreement, or some method of swaying

The Big East should give up the ghost and just go back to being a basketball league. They are likely to lose UCONN, maybe Rutgers, West Virginia, Lousiville and South Florida before this is done and trying to scrape together enough wannabes to continue as a football conference isn't going to be worth it. It was a great basketball league when that's all they were doing. The football conference was created just to keep the football schools in the basketball conference and the basketball conference became so bloated it ceased to be a real conference, just becoming an unwieldy collection of teams. Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Villanova, Notre Dame, DePaul and Marquette would be a good basketball conference and they could pull in other teams to go to 9 or 12 if they wanted to. They'd have to renegoiate the TV contract but with fewer expesnes and mouths to feed.

The Big East should give up the ghost and just go back to being a basketball league. They are likely to lose UCONN, maybe Rutgers, West Virginia, Lousiville and South Florida before this is done and trying to scrape together enough wannabes to continue as a football conference isn't going to be worth it. It was a great basketball league when that's all they were doing. The football conference was created just to keep the football schools in the basketball conference and the basketball conference became so bloated it ceased to be a real conference, just becoming an unwieldy collection of teams. Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Villanova, Notre Dame, DePaul and Marquette would be a good basketball conference and they could pull in other teams to go to 9 or 12 if they wanted to. They'd have to renegoiate the TV contract but with fewer expesnes and mouths to feed.

That does not make sense - voluntarily giving up an automatic BCS bid. That would be throwing millions of dollars out the window.

Not a good idea.

I wonder what the BE people are doing about the situation.

Based on their track record, they're probably going to meet, harumph a little bit, let Notre Dame cast a vote detrimental to the survival of everyone else, and then extend invitations to UTEP, Wyoming, New Mexico State and Idaho State. That will give them a crack at the Texas market for recruiting, as well as the vital hoops legacy of Fennis Dembo and a rival to crack the Idaho/Wyoming/Montana market that Boise recently cornered.

It'll be interesting to see what made Texas change its mind about adding another Texas school. there must have been some sort of agreement, or some method of swaying
Actually the decision was quite easy for them. They lost a Texas school in A&M so they wanted to add one. It makes sense.

That's what they are saying in this part of the country.

But if the BE wants to survive in FB they better act fast or the Big 12 will rip them.

If they go to 12 and Missouri says the next two could easily be Louisville and WV. If Missouri leaves Louisville, WV and possibly Cincy, Boise or BYU-but they will go to 12. But the mess is if Missouri goes to the SEC OU and Okie St. would be smart to follow meaning the Big 12 could dissolve as well.

That does not make sense - voluntarily giving up an automatic BCS bid. That would be throwing millions of dollars out the window.

Not a good idea.

Well, it likely won't be their choice anyway. I do think that people on the board are being a bit too harsh on them. While I am glad as anyone to be out of that mess, we are all of a sudden free to comment about how they should just give up and bury their football unis in a time capsule for aliens to find an eon from now. The football schools with an unsure future certainly aren't thinking that way. Had the Big East been aggressive and added schools like ECU and UCF, instead of DePaul and Marquette, they may have grown into strong schools by now, and allowed the Big East to aggressively go after the teams this time around that may have ensured its survival. The genie is out of the bottle, and I don't ever think we will be able to say, "it's finished," when it comes to expansion. So, what the conference does to survive now, will have a lot to do with whether it can thrive later.

Of all the schools, I would be most worried if I were USF. Where will they end up?
ACC: no.
SEC: no.
Big 12: no.
CUSA/BE merger: maybe.

Of all the schools, I would be most worried if I were USF. Where will they end up?

With their ability to recruit athletes, would it make more sense for them to go independent? They could schedule half their schedule against the elite Florida teams, and the other half against cupcakes? They are capable of winning half those matchups against the cream of the Florida crop, so annually they could pull in good notoriety, high rankings, great recruits, and solid bowls. I assume the toughest part would be finding a home for their other sports, but as long as the BE has some sort of pulse as a basketball league, it may be all they need.

Based on their track record, they're probably going to meet, harumph a little bit, let Notre Dame cast a vote detrimental to the survival of everyone else, and then extend invitations to UTEP, Wyoming, New Mexico State and Idaho State. That will give them a crack at the Texas market for recruiting, as well as the vital hoops legacy of Fennis Dembo and a rival to crack the Idaho/Wyoming/Montana market that Boise recently cornered.

Nice Fennis Dembo reference.

I really think USF is in a better position than Cincinnati. In my mind, they seem to be the one BCS team that has the lowest chances of keeping that status (I am assuming the BCS loses their spot). I have never really heard them in discussions in terms of expansion. In my mind, the Big 10 would make the most sense for them, yet I'm sure both the league and OSU will say they already have that market covered. I really don't see them in the SEC and I would think the Big 12 has other targets, some of which are closer to home, then Cincy: BYU, Houston, WVU, Louisville, even SMU or Tulsa.

I think USF could get a shot at the SEC, if they go to 16. ACC has 2 schools in the state; USF could bring the SEC's total up to 2.

Not a good idea.

They aren't going to be able to retain it anyway. UCONN, West Virginia and Lousiville are getting out as soon as they can. Cincy and USF may follow. If they can't get into the Big 10, Big 12 or SEC it will be back to CUSA. The league was fine as a basketball conference and the basketball schools wanted it to stay that way. Why not go just back to that?

They aren't going to be able to retain it anyway. UCONN, West Virginia and Lousiville are getting out as soon as they can. Cincy and USF may follow. If they can't get into the Big 10, Big 12 or SEC it will be back to CUSA. The league was fine as a basketball conference and the basketball schools wanted it to stay that way. Why not go just back to that?
Because it's throwing money out the window. The automatic bid is still owned by the BE. Giving it up for nothing is silly.

I understand that you want to return to what was the status quo twenty years ago.

I think that's a bad idea.

If the BE can attract two or three solid football programs with decent TV markets, the league and the BCS bid can be saved.
I am pretty sure that nobody in the BE Office is pursuing the idea you have suggested.

As I have said, I think it benefits our program for the BE to survive - I don't want either UConn or Rutgers in the ACC.

I really disagree with this. I don't think it benefits us for the BE to build up and get strong again -- through the maintaining of the AQ status. The best thing for us (and by US I mean SU) is if the current BE teams languish in uncertainty, every team looking across the fence for a better situation, hoping to get out of the BE.

I really disagree with this. I don't think it benefits us for the BE to build up and get strong again -- through the maintaining of the AQ status. The best thing for us (and by US I mean SU) is if the current BE teams languish in uncertainty, every team looking across the fence for a better situation, hoping to get out of the BE.
Why?

Lets hear your strategic thinking.

Because uncertainty will make it more difficult to recruit, more difficult to get big tv games, more difficult to maintain fan interest, and more difficult to make money. All of those things help SU.

Because uncertainty will make it more difficult to recruit, more difficult to get big tv games, more difficult to maintain fan interest, and more difficult to make money. All of those things help SU.

Yes, I agree with that, but what is your strategy other than "the status quo of uncertainty is good for SU"?

If you were the BE, what would you do?

The status quo is clearly not tenable and will not continue.

Something must change.

Tell us, what would be your strategy?

If you were the BE, what would you do?

The status quo is clearly not tenable and will not continue.

Something must change.

Tell us, what would be your strategy?

I simply responded to your theory that you hoped the BE got strong and maintained its AQ status. Those things do not help SU, as we have discussed. Beyond that, who cares? If they're not strong, and they don't have AQ status, what's the difference? UConn can become Holy Cross for all I care. Rutgers can become Delaware. Why am I obligated to hope for a future which includes those two teams (plus USF and Cincy) for the long term?

I simply responded to your theory that you hoped the BE got strong and maintained its AQ status. Those things do not help SU, as we have discussed. Beyond that, who cares? If they're not strong, and they don't have AQ status, what's the difference? UConn can become Holy Cross for all I care. Rutgers can become Delaware. Why am I obligated to hope for a future which includes those two teams (plus USF and Cincy) for the long term?
I just don't think you get it.

You don't have a strategy. Apparently your approach is just forget about it and see what happens. I don't see the wisdom of taht kind of "ostrich" approach to re-alignment. Indeed, the notion that "uncertainty" will somehow prevail is short-sighted and unrealistic.

Clearly, Rutgers and UConn and WVU and Cincy are not going to become low level teams like Holy Cross. Even considering such a development is a worthless exercise.

Those teams will either sustain a strong [enough] BE or force a consolidation that results in four superconferences.

That would be bad for SU, because it would render the move the ACC less meaningful and allow Rutgers and UConn and the others to compete a level playing field.

If they stay in the BE, SU retains an advantage.

I appreciate your total support for the Orange but I don't think your approach recongizes what the future could be.

I just don't think you get it.

You don't have a strategy. Apparently your approach is just forget about it and see what happens. I don't see the wisdom of taht kind of "ostrich" approach to re-alignment. Indeed, the notion that "uncertainty" will somehow prevail is short-sighted and unrealistic.

Clearly, Rutgers and UConn and WVU and Cincy are not going to become low level teams like Holy Cross. Even considering such a development is a worthless exercise.

Those teams will either sustain a strong [enough] BE or force a consolidation that results in four superconferences.

That would be bad for SU, because it would render the move the ACC less meaningful and allow Rutgers and UConn and the others to compete a level playing field.

If they stay in the BE, SU retains an advantage.

I appreciate your total support for the Orange but I don't think your approach recongizes what the future could be.
the historic 4 northeast football powers are now in BCS confs. the new bigeast will be fighting for inclusion at the table just like the moutain west is now.

to say that 1 or a few of those schools is going to be able to field enough talent every year to keep the conf at bcs level is a retty big leap of faith on your part.

youre also assuming the big12 doesnt take 1, 2 or 3 if those teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom