Class of 2020 - TE Steven Mahar (NY) Offered | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 TE Steven Mahar (NY) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
NYS has such a crappy reputation. General consenus is that we don't invest enough, we dont play enough games, we don't have enough competition, we don't have enough coaches working together but there are some talented players here that would be highly touted if they were in states that did all those things.

My general perception is that coaches in the state expect Syracuse to give opportunities to kids that don’t have P5 opportunities but fall all over themselves to push blue chips to ND, OSU, SEC, etc out of state. And that attitude is reflected in the prospects themselves whether explicitly in this case or implicitly.

Marrone put a huge emphasis on NYS and I seriously question whether it was worth it looking back now based on the prospects that were landed in that era.

We landed some quality prospects, Bromley, Reddish, Foy, arguably Broyld and Morgan come to mind but it basically took 2 years to get to that point and we landed a number of prospects prior to that 2011 class that weren’t high level contributors, transferred out or In Cater’s situation were booted out. Marrone basically had to go through the “take on our kids that don’t have opportunities elsewhere and we’ll throw you some bones” cycle.

Last edited:
My general perception is that coaches in the state expect Syracuse to give opportunities to kids that don’t have P5 opportunities but fall all over themselves to push blue chips to ND, OSU, SEC, etc out of state. And

That happens in every state.

Last edited:
Marrone put a huge emphasis on NYS and I seriously question whether it was worth it looking back now based on the prospects that were landed in that era.
At that current state of the program he had to take chances on NYS kids and hope to develop them. He also took chances on 2nd and 3rd tier FL PA and NJ players too. Some panned out and some didnt. He won two bowls games with them.

I think the DMV, Northern Pa, Jersey and Connecticut are more important imo. Even CA.
With exception of CT, those states have always been more talented than NYS. Keep in mind those are prep schools kids that come from different states and countries in Connecticut.

With exception of CT, those states have always been more talented than NYS. Keep in mind those are prep schools kids that come from different states and countries in Connecticut.
Absolutely, and new york does have some diamonds too. I just think it makes sense this staff may seem “late” on prospects in the home state because resources need to be used on the gold mines and surrounding talent states earlier in the process.

Absolutely, and new york does have some diamonds too. I just think it makes sense this staff may seem “late” on prospects in the home state because resources need to be used on the gold mines and surrounding talent states earlier in the process.
Exactly, it does make sense and there should be more focus on those states but from a NYS kid perspective, they feel like they can ball too, why can't resources be spent on me?

Last edited:
Exactly, it does make sense and they should more focused on those states but from a NYS kid perspective, they feel like they can ball too, why can't resources be spent on me?
I think there is no way we can’t put 1 guy or two or three to check our our own state. I mean I get it if this kid was hiding somewhere but he is a good te and we had to see him at some point or he was lower rated on the board. We should easily push Rochester and Buffalo areas as well as nyc. No reason at all that we can’t.

I think the bottom line with this kid (and many other regional prospects) is that he doesn't want to play at SU unless it is the only chance to play D1 ball. If that is true, there should be no surprise when the school treats you like a last resort.

Exactly, it does make sense and they should more focused on those states but from a NYS kid perspective, they feel like they can ball too, why can't resources be spent on me?

So in your opinion if you were Dino how do you fix this problem?

I know 0 about recruiting. I would think if you are looking at all these kids and you know which kids in NYS could be power 5 talent why not offer? From my understanding here it doesn't mean it is committable right? It gets some of these kids feeling good and if we need them or they blow up we can take them. Am I missing something with this line of thought?

I’m willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt. He’s a kid, and maybe he could have expressed himself better. Or maybe the writer slanted his comments. I trust HCDB to know if this is a player he wants or not.

So in your opinion if you were Dino how do you fix this problem?

I know 0 about recruiting. I would think if you are looking at all these kids and you know which kids in NYS could be power 5 talent why not offer? From my understanding here it doesn't mean it is committable right? It gets some of these kids feeling good and if we need them or they blow up we can take them. Am I missing something with this line of thought?
You are on the right track with that. Its funny because what you are mentioning is what the prospects do to coaches too. Fans don't like it when the players do it but It's okay when coaches hold players off because they have bigger fish to catch.

Sounds like he wants to enjoy the process of recruiting. He could have said it better but most prospects have these thoughts. They normally keep it to themselves lol. Some of these kids don't want to show their cards too early and they want big offers on the table before a decision is made. ( until a team they like give them the squeeze). Its how kids are these days. Thats what social media does.

Rochester and NYS kids think SU should be involved more. They especially think SU should offer before other P5's outside the state do. Same thing happens in every state. One quick example of this is FL DB prospect Robert Hanna. I know he is a little bitter torwards Miami because they offered after others did. That's one of the reasons why Cuse is in a good spot with him but do some of you think LSU is passing on Louisiana kids that want Florida or Bama offers?
I'm fine if someone wants to wait with bigger name offers, but then don't complain about SU not offering you earlier. It's like I want to big boy you, but don't want you to big boy me.

I believe we were the first or one of the first to offer Tirek Murphy and some of the other top 5 NY prospects and that did little to help our chances. SU is not a top 25 desired destination yet...
I love the season we had last year. It showed where we are heading. We need to consistently win 8, 9,10 games a year. Northeast kids are not falling to their knees to play at SU just yet.

Last edited:
I'm fine if someone wants to wait with bigger name offers, but then don't complain about SU not offering you earlier. It's like I want to big boy you, but don't want you to big boy me.
Both sides do it but don't want it done to them lol. Do you think every kid we got wanted to go to SU from the start? I know several players through the years who didnt want to go to Cuse but had good careers there.

I believe we were the first or one of the first to offer Tirek Murphy and some of the other top 5 NY prospects and that did little to help our chances. SU is not a top 25 desired destination yet...
I love the season we had last year. It showed were we are heading. We need to consistently win 8, 9,10 games a year. Northeast kids are not falling to their knees to play at SU just yet.

Even when Ped State sucked, faced the Death Penalty, and had coaches convicted of raping and exploiting children, it was still the preferred destination for the best recruits from Pennsylvania. It may just be that "Syracuse" will never resonate with NY recruits the way "State U" (or "University of State" as it now seems to go) resonates with kids from the big high school football states.

Even when Ped State sucked, faced the Death Penalty, and had coaches convicted of raping and exploiting children, it was still the preferred destination for the best recruits from Pennsylvania. It may just be that "Syracuse" will never resonate with NY recruits the way "State U" (or "University of State" as it now seems to go) resonates with kids from the big high school football states.
You're right. We can win a few battles with them here and there but we will never dethrone them. It would take 10 years of winning and 10 years of losing for Penn st. and that still wouldn't guarantee it.

It takes a lot of moxie and confidence to be a player who believes that he can help elevate a program to an elite level vs the player who wants to be offered by an elite program hoping that even being considered to be part of it makes him elite too. We’ve seen through the years the effect these transformative players who truly believe in themselves have had.

Both players and coaches play the recruiting game. It’s just the way it is. I am not going to be offended by a 17 year old who is looking to go with a different program than Cuse and message certain ways over social media or in articles. Some folks get offended by the tone of the article and the player. You realize that some schools and coachs will initially talk to a kid, tell them they are great, maybe entice them to visit and then never answer a call from the kid or parents again. Recruiting is ugly in allot of ways. If it’s ok for coaches and schools to do what they do, it’s ok for the players to do what they do.

Both players and coaches play the recruiting game. It’s just the way it is. I am not going to be offended by a 17 year old who is looking to go with a different program than Cuse and message certain ways over social media or in articles. Some folks get offended by the tone of the article and the player. You realize that some schools and coachs will initially talk to a kid, tell them they are great, maybe entice them to visit and then never answer a call from the kid or parents again. Recruiting is ugly in allot of ways. If it’s ok for coaches and schools to do what they do, it’s ok for the players to do what they do.

I think people are annoyed because the kid is offended that we didn’t offer him right away. Tough, that is life. If he wants to come to SU, then you go there, we offered him 8 months before signing day, not last minute as our desperation option. He brings up another kid we supposedly did wrong by offering later than others sounds like bitterness against our program to me. Frankly this act with some upstate and especially NYC schools is tiring.

I think people are annoyed because the kid is offended that we didn’t offer him right away. Tough, that is life. If he wants to come to SU, then you go there, we offered him 8 months before signing day, not last minute as our desperation option. He brings up another kid we supposedly did wrong by offering later than others sounds like bitterness against our program to me. Frankly this act with some upstate and especially NYC schools is tiring.
He's not offended. Just wants a chance to go through the process like others do. You dont think every kid wonders why the D1 program closest to them haven't offered while others outside the state has? Keep in mind, he didnt asked to get interviewed but he is just expressing his current thoughts. Like you said there's plenty of time to change that before signing day. If he's high on their boards and they want him then SU will need to recruit him like they do with others. If he's not, then they can just keep tabs on him. It won't hurt them if he commits to another p5 program.

Last edited:
I think this has more to do with the Rochester area coaching staff's reaction and narrative about what happened over long periods of time rather than the initial action itself. Often how you react to a situation takes on a life of its own rather than the cold hard facts of what actually happened.

I think this has more to do with the Rochester area coaching staff's reaction and narrative about what happened over long periods of time rather than the initial action itself. Often how you react to a situation takes on a life of its own rather than the cold hard facts of what actually happened.
Right. Dino got rid of one of his players in the last hour. They recruited over his spot. It's funny how no one is commenting on that. Why wouldnt they be cautious of SU after that situation? Riggins wasnt left with many options. He had to settle for a school he didnt plan on attending which he eventually ended up transferring from.

Status
Not open for further replies.