Class of 2020 - TE Steven Mahar (NY) Offered | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 TE Steven Mahar (NY) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. Dino got rid of one of his players in the last hour. They recruited over his spot. It's funny how no one is commenting on that. Why wouldnt they be cautious of SU after that situation? Riggins wasnt left with many options. He had to settle for a school he didnt plan on attending which he eventually ended up transferring from.
Good Point. Tough situation for both sides. Riggins wasn't really good enough for SU but to do it last minute like that does just factually leave a kid in a tough situation too.
Do you hold it against SU because the player really wasn't of that level but was given one of the last scholarships available by a previous staff? The way the HS coaches react is a choice. You can be hurt or you can be intellectually honest about the situation.

Dino’s not running a charity and Riggins wasn’t that good. How come these same coaches don’t hold grudges when their stars get recruited over and flame out at Pedo State, Michigan, and Notre Dame among countless others. The list is short for the Rochester area players who’ve starred out of state.

Last edited:
Dino’s not running a charity and riggings wasn’t that good. How come these same coaches don’t hold grudges when their stars get recruited over and flame out at Pedo State, Michigan, and Notre Dame among countless others. The list is short for the Rochester area players who’ve starred out of state.
Does seem to be a double standard. In the Rochester D&C article he does say something why Syracuse waited so long to offer (may be too late to the party) then he mentions Jake Zembiec when he was like 12 yrs old, so he had to hear specifics from someone because he wasn't involved in Zembiec's recruiting. Then he says he's looking forward to possible future offers from SEC and Pac12 teams like LSU, Georgia, Tennessee...Huh? Aren't they too late to the party too?

Last edited:
Dino’s not running a charity and riggings wasn’t that good. How come these same coaches don’t hold grudges when their stars get recruited over and flame out at Pedo State, Michigan, and Notre Dame among countless others. The list is short for the Rochester area players who’ve starred out of state.
My guess would be that the coaches had effectively done what they wanted to do which was to get top programs to take prospects from their team. I agree it's not a charity. Again lots happens behind the scenes is my guess and both coaches and players don't handle things always that well and I think Money is partly saying "where is all the outrage and comments when coaches do something?" At least I think that's partly his message.

Didnt say he was that good. Thats not the point and how many players from Rochester that performing well is irrelevant too. You dont think Cuse coaches get upset with HS coaches while recruiting kids? You dont think they avoid particular schools because they were burnt there before? I know a couple of schools in NYC that they coaches will avoid. There is nothing wrong with being cautious on both sides. This article is being blown out out of porpotion. A lot of prospects lie in interviews. This kid is being truthful. Didnt say anything bad. He wants to got through the process and some people dont like it.

Right. Dino got rid of one of his players in the last hour. They recruited over his spot. It's funny how no one is commenting on that. Why wouldnt they be cautious of SU after that situation? Riggins wasnt left with many options. He had to settle for a school he didnt plan on attending which he eventually ended up transferring from.

Very fair point, totally forgot about that.

Good Point. Tough situation for both sides. Riggins wasn't really good enough for SU but to do it last minute like that does just factually leave a kid in a tough situation too.
Do you hold it against SU because the player really wasn't of that level but was given one of the last scholarships available by a previous staff? The way the HS coaches react is a choice. You can be hurt or you can be intellectually honest about the situation.

Dino didn’t recruit that kid.
The former HC did.

Dino made it painfully obvious who the handful of FHCSMFS recruits were that he wanted to keep:
Moe, Rex, & Scoop.

Dino (rightfully) didn’t think the others were a fit for his system.

This happens at every. single. school. when there is a coaching change.

To Dino’s credit, he made the right calls.
NONE of those other kids ended up at peer programs, and IIRC none of them really did much of note wherever they did end up.

Dino didn’t recruit that kid.
The former HC did.

Dino made it painfully obvious who the handful of FHCSMFS recruits were that he wanted to keep:
Moe, Rex, & Scoop.

Dino (rightfully) didn’t think the others were a fit for his system.

This happens at every. single. school. when there is a coaching change.

To Dino’s credit, he made the right calls.
NONE of those other kids ended up at peer programs, and IIRC none of them really did much of note wherever they did end up.
You continue to look at it from a fan perspective and I get that. I didnt say he recruited him. I said he chopped him when he got the gig. If you think people on the other side shouldnt have feelings towards that then Im not sure what to tell you. If it was your son, I don't think you would have that same response on here. Again, I get what you're saying. I totally understand the business. The people involved don't understand it as well as the recruiting coaches. Parents only go through it once. I see both sides of it. Thats all Im trying to explain.

Last edited:
and again, people are assuming the coach is holding it against SU. He is not but he has the right to be cautious and so does SU.

I mean to me he seems upset we didn’t offer him earlier but he can’t wait for a SEC offer. Like someone else said above why isn’t it too late for them as well?

I mean to me he seems upset we didn’t offer him earlier but he can’t wait for a SEC offer. Like someone else said above why isn’t it too late for them as well?
The interviewer didnt ask him if he was upset with others schools not offering. How do you know that? The kid just would like to hear from other schools. What's wrong with that?

I get what Money3189 is saying. It’s tough when u see both sides. Not always best for both sides. Some get hurt some don’t. It’s up to Dino what he decides to do from here out. I just think I wouldn’t want to miss Any local talent that is able to help us get better. Not only would it help bringing more fans and more interest, look at how damn excited people were about Tim Green being a local stud then Chris Gendney following him then the Fm kid Rb and also Jr Johnson. I’m missing a few oh the Jones boys. It makes everyone pay attention. We should be in the convo with every kid in the state they feel that can help us. We should also be on them hard. I love that Trill and white are locals or N.Y. residents and I take great pride in that and hope they kick ass. Oh forgot about a 2* kid Called Moose too. My opinion and it ain’t worth much but keep the good ones home as much as possible.

A lot of assumptions are being made because a kid wants more offers. NYS players and coaches hear other states talking bad about football here. Getting more high profile kids brings more attention to the state and it allows other kids to get noticed. There's a lot of work trying to prove NYS kids can play. We want more kids with options. The players in upstate NY think SU feels they are not good enough. So when they receive other P5 offers and SU starts recruiting them afterwards, there's a level of "Oh Im good enough now"? Quadre Ollison is a good example of this. He was not happy with SU recruiting him after others offered. Getting NYS kids wont ever make or break Cuse football. We will land some and they may or may not pan out. We also can't get so bothered when a kid might want to go somewhere else. Ohio st UMich Notre Dame offered Cullen Coleman before Cuse did. Why is that? I know he wanted a Penn st offer that he got when he recently visited. Should we stop recruiting him because of that too?

Last edited:
A lot of assumptions are being made because a kid wants more offers. NYS players and coaches hear other states talking bad about football here. Getting more high profile kids brings more attention to the state and it allows other kids to get noticed. There's a lot of work trying to prove NYS kids can play. We want more kids with options. The players in upstate NY think SU feels they are not good enough. So when they receive other P5 schools offers and SU starts recruiting them afterwards, there's a level of "Oh Im good enough now"? Quadre Ollison is a good example of this. He was not happy with SU recruiting him after others offered. Getting NYS kids wont ever make or break Cuse football. We will land some and they may or may not pan out. We also can't get so bothered when a kid might want to go somewhere else. Ohio st UMich Notre Dame offered Cullen Coleman before Cuse did. Why is that? I know he wanted a Penn st offer that he got when he recently visited. Should we stop recruiting him because of that too?

To me it seems like they just expect to get offered by syracuse since they are in state. Then while others give him an offer and syracuse finally does they hold resentment. Is either side fully in the right? No. But it just gives off an air of treating an offer of ours as something to be expected when we are getting to the point where we dont have to just take a body due to them being our plan B or C.

To me it seems like they just expect to get offered by syracuse since they are in state. Then while others give him an offer and syracuse finally does they hold resentment. Is either side fully in the right? No. But it just gives off an air of treating an offer of ours as something to be expected when we are getting to the point where we dont have to just take a body due to them being our plan B or C.
NYS kids don't expect it. They hope it. I am not talking about taking flyers on kids. We are talking about a #36 ranked TE in the country, with great measurables that has 13 offers (4 P5)

NYS kids don't expect it. They hope it. I am not talking about taking flyers on kids. We are talking about a #36 ranked TE in the country, with great measurables that has 13 offers (4 P5)
Right now there are 8 pages of 2020 offers on here. Say roughly 340 offers out for this recruiting cycle. Obviously not all of those offers are committable, not all of those offers are the coaches first choice for the position. Where Mahar fits in the coaches recruiting plan I don't know...only the coaches know. They are entitled to be selective and so are prospects. I don't think that Mahar expressed himself well in that article but I don't think the author helped him either. It's recruiting. Both coaches and prospects need to go through the process with their own set of priorities.

Last edited:
I think it’s difficult for coaches to evaluate NYS players. They play a short season against questionable competition and have no spring ball. I don’t follow recruiting as closely as I used to but it seems Dino and staff want to see players in person before they offer unless it’s obvious they are a high level recruit. That is easier in other states with the spring evaluation period.

I’m not sure what the answer is but this conversation has spanned multiple SU coaching staffs. Their feelings don’t reset when a new staff is hired. Dino needs to recruit kids that he can land, that want to be here. If he talks to a high school coach who has a list of complaints about how his program has been treated in the past maybe he feels his resources are better spent elsewhere.

I think it’s difficult for coaches to evaluate NYS players. They play a short season against questionable competition and have no spring ball. I don’t follow recruiting as closely as I used to but it seems Dino and staff want to see players in person before they offer unless it’s obvious they are a high level recruit. That is easier in other states with the spring evaluation period.
These are all facts.

I agree with Money in that there is no reason we didn’t offer earlier. He is right down the damn road. How did we not know about him. Why aren’t we running thru top 50 kids in nys and checking each one to see if they can play here and make us better. Maybe we like 10 and offer 8 but that should be done quickly. Hate to say it but u don’t want to lose home state all together.

Right now there are 8 pages of 2020 offers on here. Say roughly 340 offers out for this recruiting cycle. Obviously not all of those offers are committable, not all of those offers are the coaches first choice for the position. Where Mahar fits in the coaches recruiting plan I don't know...only the coaches know. They are entitled to be selective and so are prospects. I don't think that Mahar expressed himself well in that article but I don't think the author help him either. It's recruiting. Both coaches and prospects need to go through the process with their own set of priorities.
I think alot of us are used to reading articles by SU writers. Those articles are influenced to favor the particular school the writer covers. This is a local Rochester reporter. Maybe Mahar shouldnt have brought up Zembiec but its the truth. The type of truth you dont hear from those feel good articles to keep subscribers happy. There is nothing wrong with him wanting more offers. Every kid does. Some are focused on the negative when the article is full of positive things said about SU. Why is that?

Last edited:
I agree with Money in that there is no reason we didn’t offer earlier. He is right down the damn road. How did we not know about him. Why aren’t we running thru top 50 kids in nys and checking each one to see if they can play here and make us better. Maybe we like 10 and offer 8 but that should be done quickly. Hate to say it but u don’t want to lose home state all together.

The Top 50 kids in NYS include about 40+ who aren’t P5 material.

NY is NOT very deep w D1 talent.

If the kids don’t want to come to Syracuse, it really doesn’t matter that we’re in the same state, and/or offered them while they were still in the womb.

Doesn't take much work or resources to do that. You have several people including me that can identify which NYS kids who could possibly play in the ACC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.