Team Attitude | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Team Attitude

If there was an easy button, it would have been pushed by now. Several times.

A personnel shakeup might make people feel better, but I doubt it's going to improve the results.

I'd still do it though, get guys experience to build for next year. If they have already redshirted, then start that process this week. If they have not redshirted and have not played this year, then wait until BC so they won't play more than 4.
Agreed with the personnel change. At least you can say you tried everything, it just wasn't going to work this year. Im not saying that just as a way for HCDB to say "Hey fans, I did it."

No one saw our returning WRs become sub FBS players or the o line being so bad.

Lot of scholarship players at both positions not getting a shot.

Outside of Maryland D has been very good so they must be mad at the O.

If there was an easy button, it would have been pushed by now. Several times.

A personnel shakeup might make people feel better, but I doubt it's going to improve the results.

I'd still do it though, get guys experience to build for next year. If they have already redshirted, then start that process this week. If they have not redshirted and have not played this year, then wait until BC so they won't play more than 4.

At this point, it's meaningless to play a guy like Alexander who can't cut it at this level and isn't going to be here next year. Whatever growth he experiences, we won't benefit from.

I think the team attitude has been fine. They are certainly playing hard to the bitter end - and as bad as they've been they aren't getting creamed. Lose to NC State by 6 points and to Pitt by 7 ? It's been some bad football for sure but they're still barely losing.

I'd like to see an OLineman get benched for a false start penalty. I don't care if the guy coming in is awful. But at this point the number of false start penalties is staggering and it's not acceptable. Messages need to start being sent.

To your point, we've been better than the other team in the second half the past two games.

There is offense/defense tension in locker room. Not gonna say it’s toxic, but we better have a kumbayya meeting soon
This Saturday after FSU destroys Wards defense, they will calm down. Offense is putrid, defense is warm and cold. They needed a stop on Friday night against Pitt and could not get it done. I realize the fumble that was a fumble but wasn't ;) should have gone to Syracuse. But, all game long Syracuse arm tackled, took bad angles and made Pitt's mighty mite running backs look much better than they are. Pitt has has twice had a back run for 100 yards in a game. Against Delaware and Syracuse. Pitt receivers were wide open all night. On Pitts final possession when Syracuse needed a stop and knowing Pitt was not going to throw the ball, genius Ward had his linebackers six yards off the ball and they got gashed. The defense is not horrible, but is by no means great either. Even the special teams are off. This is not a good football team. I threw up my Orange Kool Aid a few games ago and stepped on my Orange colored glasses so I am no longer under the delusion that Syracuse Football is back. Worse part is , the depth chart comes out and their are no changes on the OL. Definition of insanity. The only other idiot/nut job is me because I still follow it and care. Why I'm not sure but it's getting very close to the same feeling I had under Robinson. I hope Dino Babers realizes it's not just his team he may be losing.

This Saturday after FSU destroys Wards defense, they will calm down. Offense is putrid, defense is warm and cold. They needed a stop on Friday night against Pitt and could not get it done. I realize the fumble that was a fumble but wasn't ;) should have gone to Syracuse. But, all game long Syracuse arm tackled, took bad angles and made Pitt's mighty mite running backs look much better than they are. Pitt has has twice had a back run for 100 yards in a game. Against Delaware and Syracuse. Pitt receivers were wide open all night. On Pitts final possession when Syracuse needed a stop and knowing Pitt was not going to throw the ball, genius Ward had his linebackers six yards off the ball and they got gashed. The defense is not horrible, but is by no means great either. Even the special teams are off. This is not a good football team. I threw up my Orange Kool Aid a few games ago and stepped on my Orange colored glasses so I am no longer under the delusion that Syracuse Football is back. Worse part is , the depth chart comes out and their are no changes on the OL. Definition of insanity. The only other idiot/nut job is me because I still follow it and care. Why I'm not sure but it's getting very close to the same feeling I had under Robinson. I hope Dino Babers realizes it's not just his team he may be losing.

you really think Dino is close to Robinson? Really?

freakin delusional. As in unbelievably stupid take

you need to take a break from the board

There's no way you drank orange kool aid and wore orange glasses.
No way.
And if you've watched FSU play this year there is no way you can be confident they will put together a full game. They are very athletic, no doubt, but they self destruct with regularity.
I'm not saying i'm confident we will win, but i'm not confident FSU will either.

you really think Dino is close to Robinson? Really?

freakin delusional. As in unbelievably stupid take

you need to take a break from the board
I did not say that I felt Babers was like Robinson. His offense right now is playing like Robinson's offenses did. They lead the nation in sacks given up. They commit way too many penalties. Can not run block. The players are 95% + his recruits and yet he can't replace guys that are not getting it done. Recruiting is at best middle to bottom half nationally and right now dead last in the ACC. Whose delusional? Last year was great but as Dino Babers and every other coach says, that was last year this is this year and last year won't help make this year better, only this year can. Lets just hope they can turn it around or 2020 will be a lot like 2019.

It's amazing to me how many people are pressing panic buttons regarding the program right now. Listen - I am as frustrated as the next person with how this season is going. I legitimately thought we'd be further ahead than we are right now.

Our offensive line issues are really killing us obviously. I could go into more detail on what I've seen, but I truly believe the biggest issue is the combo of the C position forcing us to alter positions. We need put an end to the Ryan Alexander experience. He's overmatched, badly. I would rather see a younger buck overmatched and learn/be ready for the next year than waste it on a grad transfer who is only here for another handful of games. I'll echo what has been said on twitter - I think we'll be searching for an OL coach after this year.

We tried to establish more passes and routes across the middle of the field last week against Pitt. That IMO is a huge step in the right direction. The first play of the game should have gone for a HUGE gain if it wasn't dropped. More of that will lead us to sustained drives and opportunities for points on the board. Running outside the tackles would help as well, given our RB talent in space - but our tackle play isn't allowing us to do that, especially off the right side. I hope we can see this year a new center so we can move Carlos back to the right side. He's going to be good, really good, but he's a sophomore. With OL/DL, you're only as strong as your weakest link, and if you have breakdowns/miscommunications, it will not allow you to handle pressure.

We'll be fine. I do believe that. It may be next year, but I am not giving up on a bowl game. It's amazing what a win against an ACC team can do to hep change perception. Get a win this weekend, and people won't question attitudes. Let's hope a week of prep for Clayton will get him ready to perform.

A) What evidence do you have that there are better OL waiting in the wings?

B) What do you think happens in practice to suggest that some other players are better?

C) What do you think daily practices are for?

Just asking. I am as frustrated with the OL as you. I’m just not able to concoct any scenario that suggests he isn’t playing his best group.

Sometimes you have to give new guys a chance when the starters are obviously not getting it done.

It's amazing to me how many people are pressing panic buttons regarding the program right now. Listen - I am as frustrated as the next person with how this season is going. I legitimately thought we'd be further ahead than we are right now.

Our offensive line issues are really killing us obviously. I could go into more detail on what I've seen, but I truly believe the biggest issue is the combo of the C position forcing us to alter positions. We need put an end to the Ryan Alexander experience. He's overmatched, badly. I would rather see a younger buck overmatched and learn/be ready for the next year than waste it on a grad transfer who is only here for another handful of games. I'll echo what has been said on twitter - I think we'll be searching for an OL coach after this year.

We tried to establish more passes and routes across the middle of the field last week against Pitt. That IMO is a huge step in the right direction. The first play of the game should have gone for a HUGE gain if it wasn't dropped. More of that will lead us to sustained drives and opportunities for points on the board. Running outside the tackles would help as well, given our RB talent in space - but our tackle play isn't allowing us to do that, especially off the right side. I hope we can see this year a new center so we can move Carlos back to the right side. He's going to be good, really good, but he's a sophomore. With OL/DL, you're only as strong as your weakest link, and if you have breakdowns/miscommunications, it will not allow you to handle pressure.

We'll be fine. I do believe that. It may be next year, but I am not giving up on a bowl game. It's amazing what a win against an ACC team can do to hep change perception. Get a win this weekend, and people won't question attitudes. Let's hope a week of prep for Clayton will get him ready to perform.

Just for perspective, we are one of only 4 teams in the NCAA who do not have a P-5 win yet.

I think Alexander should be relegated to a back up at this point. Put Servais back over to LT and Vetterello to RT.

I put Deurig at C or put Heckel if he is healthy. I would much rather have Tommy with better tackles. At least if the center gets beat he can see it coming and the DE's in this league are usually better than the DT's.

Tommy needs to do this *

* Please God I'm kidding, dont do this

Yes, he needs to kick some ass, but I'm not sure that he's that guy.
I just hope that Tommy is not Bill Scharr Pt 2.

everything bad is feeding off each other

dumb penalties put the tackles in a bad spot failing to block for a qb with the worst fatal flaw of holding the ball too long

we are DEAD LAST in the country at "rushing" yards/attempt on 3rd and 3 or less

it's odd that we're 10th in rushing on 3rd and 4 to yards

we're 46th on 3rd and 7-9 to go

we're 101st with 10+ yards to go

we're 5th in 4th down yards per rushing attempt

not sure what to make of any of it - small samples

going back to going for it a lot on 4th down (near the top in attempts, near the bottom in conversions)

if everything is average, the team can be much better than average because the scheme is low risk and you do well in turnovers and you get extra plays being smarter than opponents. this fatal flaw dooms any offense. dungey wasn't fixing this

I wonder if we're just selling out what we're going to do on 3rd and short (run) and 3rd and long (pass). Anything in that 4 - 9 yards to go we are running different packages and the D isn't sure because we're mixing it up far better than on either end of the yardage to go. Which may just boil down to the inexperience of Lynch calling plays.

I wonder if we're just selling out what we're going to do on 3rd and short (run) and 3rd and long (pass). Anything in that 4 - 9 yards to go we are running different packages and the D isn't sure because we're mixing it up far better than on either end of the yardage to go. Which may just boil down to the inexperience of Lynch calling plays.
I rewatched Pitt. I clearly saw Babers calling the plays, numerous times. We mixed it up quite a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom