team is burned out | Syracusefan.com

team is burned out

would an early loss in the big east tourney help us in the NCAA

• Total voters

kcsu

Living Legend
The team seems burned out. I know this sounds crazy but would an early loss in the big east tourney actually set us up for a good run in the NCAA's?

No, because those games won't matter. The only loss that could help would be on Saturday against UConn. Would turn Louisville into a meaningful game.

How can they be burnt out? They had a week off after their three toughest games, then had to go only as far as Rutgers, and then had three days to get ready for a home game with USF. If they are burnt out after that, they need serious help.

I think they are sick of slow-it-down, wait 33 seconds to shoot type games. If it wears on the fans, it has to wear on them. UConn will be just what the doctor ordered because they won't play that way. They'll play you straight up. Louisville will go back to the grind.

losing early in the BET is a joke, really get over it. UCONN won the whole $$%%^^& BET last year, and played 5 friekn games, and to top it off, they had 2 overtime wins vs pitt and us, get real, oh, and btw uconn went on to win 6 more, bush league on losing early in the BET, bush league

We're burned out? What does that make USF who scored less than 50 points?

Teams are playing a slowdown game, scores are going to be low. Why can't people see that?

losing early in the BET is a joke, really get over it. UCONN won the whole $$%%^^& BET last year, and played 5 friekn games, and to top it off, they had 2 overtime wins vs pitt and us, get real, oh, and btw uconn went on to win 6 more, bush league on losing early in the BET, bush league
Only thing is that it is important that we get out of the BET with everyone healthy. Doesn't matter if we play one, two or three games.

How can they be burnt out? They had a week off after their three toughest games, then had to go only as far as Rutgers, and then had three days to get ready for a home game with USF. If they are burnt out after that, they need serious help.

I think they are sick of slow-it-down, wait 33 seconds to shoot type games. If it wears on the fans, it has to wear on them. UConn will be just what the doctor ordered because they won't play that way. They'll play you straight up. Louisville will go back to the grind.

How do you think teams in the tournament will play us? They'll all play "Butler Ball" against us. In your face Man-to-Man defense and grind down the shot clock offense.

My take will probably shake some of you up...but here goes and not with tongue in cheek:
Big time college basketball is a big time business. Games are played to win not teach and not to let egos stabilize or become too big. JB is masterful at putting a very good team on the floor...very balanced mentally...you almost never see 'Cuse come out of the pre game huddle ready to take prisoners...it is JBs personality of being calm and knowing what you have to do--I see it as lack of emotion...maybe keeping it in and being tight would describe it. I can live with that and see it every day in the corporate world.
BUT players do not play well with their head on a swivel wondering if they are getting pulled for a bad play. We are fortunate that we have above average players at a number of positions and for the most part JB pulls the strings and the performances are good. However, a player worried about being pulled too quickly tries too hard not to make a mistake rather than make a play. I feel that
WAITERS, and TRICHE are playing not to make the mistake that gets them pulled.
Basis for this reasoning:
1. Dion has not been Dion. His swagger is gone. He is not taking his usual shots and those he is taking arent so good...as soon as he makes a mistake he almost always looks at the bench
2. Triche who remains the calmest outwardly player did not take a 3 last night...missed two FTs...86% shooter; has recently seen less and less playing time in the second half...pulled because of mistakes
It seems the only player that has gotten a pass is Scoop--who is playing well and without him we would be dog meat about this time. But Scoop makes his bad Scoop mistakes, gets pulled and put back in fairly quickly...yes I know he is necessary for 'Cuse to win...but the same handling hasnt been done for Dion and Triche...make a mistake you are out and possibly out for the count in that game...Playing at this level is difficult enough...playing not to make mistakes tends to increase mistakes made and lack of doing what you do best which is scoring..neither Dion nor Triche have been themselves lately and I believe part of that is due to "looking over their shoulder rather than playing their game".

Every team is burned out this time of year. Losing NEVER is good. Never. Uconn won 11 straight post season games. How does Duke do it every year? I want to win everything. That argument is crazy.

Burned out? These kids are 18-23 years old. Playing 2-3 games a week doesn't do that to you. Maybe and NBA schedule, but not college.

2 days off till UConn
6 days off till Louisville
4 days off till the BET

And they won't have to leave the North East at all.

I think they are sick of slow-it-down, wait 33 seconds to shoot type games. If it wears on the fans, it has to wear on them.

That makes good sense.

I want SU to win every game. This might be our last best chance to win the BET (if Fab and Dion leave along with Scoop and KJ). When UConn wins the BET they almost always go deep in the NCAA. Unfortunately, SU's history is just the opposite. Whenever SU wins the BET we make an early exit in the NCAA. Our three FF's were reached after not winning the BET but always winning at least 1 game.

1987 - Lose in BET final to GT
1996- Lose in BET semi to UConn
2003- Lose in BET semi to UConn

1988 win BET - lose 2nd round to URI
1992 win BET - lose 2nd round to UMass
2005 win BET -lose 1st round to Vermont
2006 win BET-lose 1st round to aTm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS