Temple to Big East: Just Say "No" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Temple to Big East: Just Say "No"

The BB schools dictating is certainly the conventional wisdom.

I wonder how much of that is really true.

Think of it this way - if the BE Football Conference gets a very good TV deal, teams will stay put.

That's what I want to see.
I believe that was the final straw that led to SU and Pitt leaving the conference. There was a pretty good tv deal offered for football that was voted down by non-football members of the conference. If the BE really cared about the football part of the conference, THAT deal would have been made or a better one negotiated at the time.

That decision by the basketball only schools plus Notre Dame was the death-knell for the conference. If that 1.2 Billion dollar deal had been approved, it's likely that SU, Pitt, and WVU wouldn't have left, at least not as quickly. SU isn't at fault for the failure of the conference they helped to establish and support. SU's administration would have been negligent if they hadn't sought better financial support for the sports programs, especially after the conference voted down a contract that would have quadrupled revenue for the member schools.

In the end, strong conferences are made up of similar institutions. The Big East had and has many disparate interests, histories, and futures for the member schools. SU's interests were never going to be the priority for the Big East and SU's administration made the decision they had to. The Big East has been a holding pen for schools waiting for offers from more stable conferences and grew in odd ways not in keeping with establishing long-term bonds. With the addition of so many programs from very different places geographically & academically, it's looking more and more like an island of misfit toys.

I wish no ill for the Big East, but think we're going to the right place at the right time. The heyday of the Big East is likely over, largely because they couldn't formulate an arrangement that was equitable for all. No harm, no foul...it's just time to move on.

Seems to me that the ACC leadership would know that admitting Rutgers and UConn impacts and de-values their addition of SU and Pitt and BC. Their interest is in having SU and Pitt and BC dominate the Northeast.

Yep, I'm sure they are smart enough to notice that the improved play of UConn and Rutgers had an impact on the play of SU. They decided to buy the brand name.

I believe that was the final straw that led to SU and Pitt leaving the conference. There was a pretty good tv deal offered for football that was voted down by non-football members of the conference.
From the story I heard, the Rutgers AD (Pernitti) convinced just enough voters (and not just the BB-onlies) to reject the ESPN offer because if they took the BE deal to the open market (Fox, Comcast, etc.) they could get an even better deal. That obviously backfired and left Rutgers and the BE in even more dire straights than they were, because I believe that made the decision by SU and Pitt even easier.

From the story I heard, the Rutgers AD (Pernitti) convinced just enough voters (and not just the BB-onlies) to reject the ESPN offer because if they took the BE deal to the open market (Fox, Comcast, etc.) they could get an even better deal. That obviously backfired and left Rutgers and the BE in even more dire straights than they were, because I believe that made the decision by SU and Pitt even easier.
One story I read identified Notre Dame, Rutgers, Seton Hall, and Georgetown as the initial opponents with Pitt & WVU neutral on it until a formal vote was taken. The deal with the PAC 10 was announced between the two votes and the wait and see group won. However, "No new Deal" was not better than a "Better new Deal" even if it wasn't the "Best new Deal". The conference needed to do SOMETHING for the football side of the conference and didn't.

No need to "root" for the Big East to fail, it just will. Matter of time.

There is no doubt it will fail

And, as you have observed, it is in our best interests that the BE survive and flourish as soon as possible.

Survive? Fine. Flourish? No. Our interests are best served by these BE teams being mired in mediocrity for all time.

Survive? Fine. Flourish? No. Our interests are best served by these BE teams being mired in mediocrity for all time.

agree if you want SU to ever be good before we all die then we need the other teams in the northeast (Rutgers, UCONN,...etc) to be really really bad! The BE will die, that is no longer in doubt. Just a matter of IF and not WHEN! But the sooner the better for Syracuse's sake

agree if you want SU to ever be good before we all die then we need the other teams in the northeast (Rutgers, UCONN,...etc) to be really really bad! The BE will die, that is no longer in doubt. Just a matter of IF and not WHEN! But the sooner the better for Syracuse's sake

You again?

No need to "root" for the Big East to fail, it just will. Matter of time.

There is no doubt it will fail

Interesting analysis.

For Syracuse University to achieve, other teams must fail.

I guess that's like SU Basketball - UConn has been terrible - Pitt has been terrible - Villanova has been terrible.

On second thought, maybe SU athletics can succeed where other regional programs have had their own successes.

It took ya 4 days and this is the best reponse you could come up with to a post! Real mature

Sorry.

I should have known that you spend so much of your time waiting for posters to respond to your insightful analysis.

It took ya 4 days and this is the best reponse you could come up with to a post! Real mature

--------------
Stern on Big East:
"I would have looked to add 4 schools for "FOOTBALL ONLY". And have a solid 9 school football conference where everyone plays everyone else each year. Keep it simple and keep it regional. Build it up over time."

---------------

You still haven't answered who are the 4 regional football only schools that you are proposing as your "solution" to create a "solid" 9 school football only conference, along with the BB schools?

Interesting analysis.

For Syracuse University to achieve, other teams must fail.

I guess that's like SU Basketball - UConn has been terrible - Pitt has been terrible - Villanova has been terrible.

On second thought, maybe SU athletics can succeed where other regional programs have had their own successes.

You can't seriously be comparing SU Basketball with Uconn, Nova, and Pitt, to SU Football with Uconn and Rutgers.

You can't seriously be comparing SU Basketball with Uconn, Nova, and Pitt, to SU Football with Uconn and Rutgers.
Oh no, he is. The man is lost in outer space on this issue!

--------------
Stern on Big East:
"I would have looked to add 4 schools for "FOOTBALL ONLY". And have a solid 9 school football conference where everyone plays everyone else each year. Keep it simple and keep it regional. Build it up over time."

---------------

You still haven't answered who are the 4 regional football only schools that you are proposing as your "solution" to create a "solid" 9 school football only conference, along with the BB schools?

I answered it 50 times, you just don't like my answer so you keep asking the same question over and over again. I don't have time for your silly games. You are a BE apologist, that's ok. You are entitled. And when that house of cards crumbles we are all gonna call up these old posts and point and laugh!

Sorry.

I should have known that you spend so much of your time waiting for posters to respond to your insightful analysis.
When you can't win the debate start going after the poster with personal shots! Once again, real mature!

When you can't win the debate start going after the poster with personal shots! Once again, real mature!
Live by bombast, die with bombast.

I answered it 50 times, you just don't like my answer so you keep asking the same question over and over again. I don't have time for your silly games. You are a BE apologist, that's ok. You are entitled. And when that house of cards crumbles we are all gonna call up these old posts and point and laugh!

-------------------

1) Sorry:I missed your 50 posts: please explain:

who exactly are the 4 regional football only schools that you are proposing as your "solution" to create a "solid" 9 school football only conference, along with the BB schools?

Stern on Big East:

---------------

2) "when that house of cards crumbles we are all gonna call up these old posts and point and laugh"

So are you predicting the new Big East disappears?
Please clarify exactly what you mean by "crumbles"?
When does this event occur: next week, 2 months from now?

Please try to speak "English" rather than invent your own language.

-------------------

1) Sorry:I missed your 50 posts: please explain:

who exactly are the 4 regional football only schools that you are proposing as your "solution" to create a "solid" 9 school football only conference, along with the BB schools?

Stern on Big East:

---------------

2) "when that house of cards crumbles we are all gonna call up these old posts and point and laugh"

So are you predicting the new Big East disappears?
Please clarify exactly what you mean by "crumbles"?
When does this event occur: next week, 2 months from now?

Please try to speak "English" rather than invent your own language.
Oh my god, to quote someone GET A LIFE! Keeping this debate going just to throw insults and cheap shots at me now. Really? REALLY! Nothing better to do?

I have explained it a bunch of times, you choose to ignore my answers. And now you are putting words in my mouth and making crap up. Obviously you don't agree with my stance. I get it. That's fine. You are entitled to have your opinion no matter how wrong it will turn out to be!

Let it go bro! Let it go!

Sorry. I was just surprised that you seemed to have waited so anxiously for a response from me.

Regardless, I don't think you ever answered the question that was posed to you a few weeks ago - if you were running the BE which four teams would you have selected to upgrade the football conference?

Thanks.

If someone is being an idiot, how will they ever know if you don't tell them?

Sorry. I was just surprised that you seemed to have waited so anxiously for a response from me.

Uh, I didn't. I responded to a post then some 4 or 5 days later you come back with petty nonsense that was totally off topic.

I'm over it. I have answered your question in multiple threads multiple times and I don't have time for your games.

Uh, I didn't. I responded to a post then some 4 or 5 days later you come back with petty nonsense that was totally off topic.

I'm over it. I have answered your question in multiple threads multiple times and I don't have time for your games.

A few corrections.

First, the post that bothered you was in response to your assertion - once again - that the BE is being operated poorly and will die - the same topic that prompted me and others to pose a question to you some time ago.

Second, as others have pointed out, you never answered the question.

It was a very simple one.

Which teams would you have invited to join the BE football conference?

Third, you apparently have time, since you seem to be on the board a great deal.

And fourth, the issue is an interesting one - one that is precisely the kind that is and should be debated on this board.

So, instead of issuing posts that simply blast the BE for its team selections, tell us what you would have done.

Pretty simple.