Terrel Hunt Rated #9 Prospect at QB in 2016 Draft | Syracusefan.com

Terrel Hunt Rated #9 Prospect at QB in 2016 Draft

Love Terrel, but...really? That's...surprising. Not to say he can't get there, but he ran so hot and cold (mostly cold) throwing the ball last year I'm kind of shocked. I guess this is based on potential, measurables, and projected progress.

Love Terrel, but...really? That's...surprising. Not to say he can't get there, but he ran so hot and cold (mostly cold) throwing the ball last year I'm kind of shocked. I guess this is based on potential, measurables, and projected progress.
Agreed, it's starting to look more like the NBA where guys are rated based off of potential and measurables. That being said, I still think Terrell will be very good by the time he leaves.

Terrel has a great opportunity over the next two years. Can't wait to see how his career progresses, and how he makes certain people on this board who wanted him to play safety eat massive amounts of crow.

Ahead of ND QB Everett Golson. Hmm... Could be an interesting sub-plot for the ND game.

JK, I'm not sure that I agree with this take. Hunt came in and played exceptionally well, then went through a multi-game stretch where he [and the offense] didn't perform well, but they were still winning games. Then he was very good again over the last three games of the season--two wins.

I chalk some of it up to inexperience, some of it up to lackluster playmaking around him, some of it up to growing pains with the new systems / offensive coaching staff, and some of it up to the general inconsistency that QBs have to play through against real time competition at game speed.

I know that I'm more bully than most on Hunt's potential and what he's going to bring to the table these next two years, and I couldn't care less where he rates as an NFL prospect--but I DO 100% believe that he is going to be a dynamic impact player for us these next two seasons. Mark it down.

For a QB with only a year's experience that is not bad company. I want to believe.

It does make me scratch my head a bit to see some of these like NC State's QB listed at #10. Or Stephen Rivers (#16, Vanderbilt) who has been a backup at LSU until transferring to Vanderbilt this year.

JK, I'm not sure that I agree with this take. Hunt came in and played exceptionally well, then went through a multi-game stretch where he [and the offense] didn't perform well, but they were still winning games. Then he was very good again over the last three games of the season--two wins.

I chalk some of it up to inexperience, some of it up to lackluster playmaking around him, some of it up to growing pains with the new systems / offensive coaching staff, and some of it up to the general inconsistency that QBs have to play through against real time competition at game speed.

I know that I'm more bully than most on Hunt's potential and what he's going to bring to the table these next two years, and I couldn't care less where he rates as an NFL prospect--but I DO 100% believe that he is going to be a dynamic impact player for us these next two seasons. Mark it down.

I think you said you don't agree with Jekelish, but you actually kind of do agree with him haha. Hunt showed flashes of potential, but by most QB standards, his season last year was mediocre to below mediocre. If last season were his senior season, there would be a negative 1,000% chance that he would have been drafted. Projecting him to be a top 10 QB in the 2016 draft is based off of his potential as he grows into the position and utilizes his full skill set. There isn't much that I saw last year though that would 100% guarantee he ever realizes this potential.

Ryan - I absolutely believe he's going to step up. And for sure, some of his struggles during the middle of the year can't be pinned on him alone, since the offense in general was stalling out (and his receivers were nothing to write home about). I think we're on the same page as to his potential, but some of the offensive struggles still did come from a few poor throwing games from Hunt. Love the kid - think he's an exciting guy and hopefully with a full year under his belt and better receivers, there won't be any more growing pains.

He had a real bottom out point last year. I don't expect to see that again. He came out of it in the last 3 games. Wasn't earth shattering, but certainly better than those passer rating games that will probably stay in the record books.

Supporting cast will be much better this year at the skill spots. Just hope the line holds up.

Last edited:
I think you said you don't agree with Jekelish, but you actually kind of do agree with him haha. Hunt showed flashes of potential, but by most QB standards, his season last year was mediocre to below mediocre. If last season were his senior season, there would be a negative 1,000% chance that he would have been drafted. Projecting him to be a top 10 QB in the 2016 draft is based off of his potential as he grows into the position and utilizes his full skill set. There isn't much that I saw last year though that would 100% guarantee he ever realizes this potential.

I didn't agree with the "hot and cold... mostly cold" take. And I don't think it was a mediocre season--I think he went through some growing pains as an inexperienced QB playing with a very pedestrian group of receivers, but overall performed reasonably well. And I saw enough toward the end of last season and in the spring to believe that he can elevate his level of play. Interestingly: once Estime figured things out as a true frosh and started having a bigger impact the final few games, that's when Hunt's productivity began to soar again.

I don't expect many [most?] to agree with me, but I think Hunt has the potential to have an even bigger impact than Nassib and be a true impact player these next two years.

Not a huge deal--agree to disagree on this stuff, and eager to see how it plays out! :cool:

Supporting cast will be much better this year at the skill spots. Just hope the line holds up.

I have the opposite concern. I think the O-Line is good, but I want to see the receivers deliver with consistency. Flashes and potential are there, so we should get a couple to break out but need to see it against tough teams.

I didn't agree with the "hot and cold... mostly cold" take. And I don't think it was a mediocre season--I think he went through some growing pains as an inexperienced QB playing with a very pedestrian group of receivers, but overall performed reasonably well. And I saw enough toward the end of last season and in the spring to believe that he can elevate his level of play. Interestingly: once Estime figured things out as a true frosh and started having a bigger impact the final few games, that's when Hunt's productivity began to soar again.

I don't expect many [most?] to agree with me, but I think Hunt has the potential to have an even bigger impact than Nassib and be a true impact player these next two years.

Not a huge deal--agree to disagree on this stuff, and eager to see how it plays out! :cool:

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see what he can do if he does fully realize his potential

I have the opposite concern. I think the O-Line is good, but I want to see the receivers deliver with consistency. Flashes and potential are there, so we should get a couple to break out but need to see it against tough teams.
Agree...this is potentially the best and deepest OL that we've had in a very long time.

Hopefully we can find 5 or 6 consistent WR's out the huge number on the roster. My picks in no particular order: Estime, West, Funder, Broyld, Ish, Flemming and Custis. I honestly feel that we won't see much of the other returners because they've been recruited over.

Ahead of ND QB Everett Golson. Hmm... Could be an interesting sub-plot for the ND game.
Reminiscent of Nassib vs. Barkley a few years back.

Personally i think he'll exceed this ranking. We were not a good tean laat year and he helped lead us to a bowl win.

9th rated QB is not a high draft pick. Maybe even undrafted.

Agree...this is potentially the best and deepest OL that we've had in a very long time.

Hopefully we can find 5 or 6 consistent WR's out the huge number on the roster. My picks in no particular order: Estime, West, Funder, Broyld, Ish, Flemming and Custis. I honestly feel that we won't see much of the other returners because they've been recruited over.
While I believe our O-line is very good at run blocking and good for the offense we ran I wonder how good they actually are at pass protection as a whole. 60% of our passing game last year was throwing bubble screens. Another 30% of the time Hunt either had a little pressure or nobody open and he ran the ball himself, all be it with success. He has exceptional elusiveness and is pretty darn good in the pocket for a youngish kid. Maybe 10% of our passing plays resulted in the ball being thrown much past the line of scrimmage so its hard to tell how good the OL is in pass protection.

But I am optimistic about Hunts future.

I guess I'm a little worried about Center. But I always worry when a productive senior leaves, and many times the next guy just steps up. The Trudo depth chart thing is a little off to me as well, but maybe it's much to do about nothing.

From the WR standpoint, it's Estime that I think sticks out the most as an impact guy. And outside of that, I just think there are enough bodies with experience for it to be an improved position.

It's probably a good thing that we don't have a unanimous worry on offense.

9th rated QB is not a high draft pick. Maybe even undrafted.
It won't be 9th anyways. At least a couple of those guys will come out this year and be drafted in 2015, moving everybody (Hunt included) up the charts a little bit.

Also a cursory flip back to this past draft shows 14 Qbs were drafted in 2014 (Considered a strong QB class), 11 in 2013 (in what was considered a horrific QB class), 12 in 2012 and 12 in 2011.

so it seems that no less than 11 Qbs were drafted in the past 5 classes. If Hunt is the #9 QB off the board, that seems likely he'd be a late round pick.

Hunt can be a fine college qb but he doesn't have near the tools for the nfl.

AZOrange said:
Hunt can be a fine college qb but he doesn't have near the tools for the NFL yet.

Fixed that for you.

It won't be 9th anyways. At least a couple of those guys will come out this year and be drafted in 2015, moving everybody (Hunt included) up the charts a little bit.

Also a cursory flip back to this past draft shows 14 Qbs were drafted in 2014 (Considered a strong QB class), 11 in 2013 (in what was considered a horrific QB class), 12 in 2012 and 12 in 2011.

so it seems that no less than 11 Qbs were drafted in the past 5 classes. If Hunt is the #9 QB off the board, that seems likely he'd be a late round pick.
Good call pulling numbers. I was going off of gut feeling.

I'm a huge Hunt supporter, but coming off last year I think #9 is a bit high. I think we will see a drastically better Hunt this year though, so maybe after this season is over he will deserve a top 10 rating.

Fixed that for you.
I have been one of the many still waiting on Hunt to "show me". Just haven't seen it yet. But I will say that if Hunt is able to develop into a "fine college QB" then he will also have the tools for the NFL. He's tall enough, strong enough and his running/thick legs remind me a bit of Roethlisberger. So if he is able to become an accurate passer in and out of the pocket then yes I believe he will have the tools to get an NFL look.