Terrific article about next year's team from Mike Waters | Syracusefan.com

Terrific article about next year's team from Mike Waters

2018-19 Syracuse basketball has chance to be near top of ACC, contend for national title

Lots to be excited about next year. Need Sidibe to get healthy.We could go from having virtually no depth to having ridiculous depth in all three positional units -- welcome change.

LOL...I was going to say, I'll wait and see who is on the roster come October before getting excited but I'll amend that to say, I'll wait and see who is both on the roster, eligible and healthy enough to play in mid-March of next year before I get excited...

Too much AO, Fab Melo, TT, GT etc..in our past for me to get excited this early about anything but warmer weather...

LOL...I was going to say, I'll wait and see who is on the roster come October before getting excited but I'll amend that to say, I'll wait and see who is both on the roster, eligible and healthy enough to play in mid-March of next year before I get excited...

Too much AO, Fab Melo, TT, GT etc..in our past for me to get excited this early about anything but warmer weather...

Valid points. As we have seen in reason years, unpredictable things happen. But you're able to better weather those things as a team when you start off with a full compliment of players -- which we'll have for the first time next season after several years of reduced scholarships.

Wait and see is fine -- but if SU fans can't get excited about next year's team, then they must not have a pulse. I have a feeling that this postseason run has set the table for monstrous things next year.

Last edited:
These articles are great - but I'll wait until November to see who we have, who coming in is good, who coming back is better, etc.

There seem to be a lot of teams in the tournament that could have a lot of key players coming back so I"m not sure similar articles couldn't be written for half the teams in the field. Still better than last year's post season thoughts where the question was "How much worse will next year be?".

[QUOTE="RF2044, post: 2551986]

Lots to be excited about next year. Need Sidibe to get healthy.We could go from having virtually no depth to having ridiculous depth in all three positional units -- welcome change.[/QUOTE]

Lots to be excited about in the off-season, as well. Battle's decision to go/stay. Observations of Bazley & Carey's skills in an all-star game. Discussions of starters & minutes. Weight gains for Dolezaj, Chukwu, Sidibe. And more.

Wait and see is fine -- but if SU fans can't get excited about next year's team, then they must not have a pulse. I have a feeling that this postseason run has set the table for monstrous things next year.

Check out my sig...I'm always excited about the season, regardless of whether we project as a bubble team or a contender.

I'll temper my excitement for a deep tourney run until I see what we have next March...

I have heard that Sidibe's injury is quite treatable with surgery. Is anyone able to explain exactly what he is dealing with (tendonitis?), and their confidence he will be close to 100% after surgery and rehab? Pure speculation of course, but a lot of the time, knee injuries especially for big men can be very difficult.

Valid points. As we have seen in reason years, unpredictable things happen. But you're able to better weather those things as a team when you start off with a full compliment of players -- which we'll have for the first time next season after several years of reduced scholarships.

I've been crazy excited about next year since last summer...

When I was bored in school growing up, I didn't doodle. I did SU basketball depth charts. Can't help but get excited looking at the possibility. Here's a summary of the key dates as it relates to the NBA Draft and when we might expect things to shake out with Tyus and Oshae, although I would be shocked if Oshae left.

Key dates to know for the 2018 NBA Draft | NBA.com

It will be VERY interesting to see how JB deals with Buddy in terms of playing time. Obviously, it will mostly depend on how quickly he adapts to the college game, but...

The interesting part will be whether JB plays him more than he actually earns, because it's his son, or less, trying to overcompensate for the fact Buddy's his son. Or, will the coach be able to remain perfectly dispassionate, and treat him just like any other player?

Film at 11.

It will be VERY interesting to see how JB deals with Buddy in terms of playing time.

That's a really tricky situation to navigate for JB. If the other players sense that Buddy is getting preferential treatment, it's bad for team morale. But then if JB is too harsh on Buddy, it's bad for family morale.

It will be VERY interesting to see how JB deals with Buddy in terms of playing time. Obviously, it will mostly depend on how quickly he adapts to the college game, but...

The interesting part will be whether JB plays him more than he actually earns, because it's his son, or less, trying to overcompensate for the fact Buddy's his son. Or, will the coach be able to remain perfectly dispassionate, and treat him just like any other player?

Film at 11.

That will be interesting. Those father-son situations can either work out really well or be a horrible situation (Craig Neal and his son Cullen at New Mexico a few years ago)

I like Waters but this article is pretty basic. I think I could have written it just as well given the lack of insightful or "insider" info.

I wonder about the Top 25 is almost a given comment...college basketball is never that predictable.

Film at 11.

I fully expect Jim to treat him like any other player.

I think Mike’s great article is illuminating something most of us on the board already know. Next year we have the potential to be GREAT.

However, I would like the coaching staff to be tempered next fall when they talk about our team. Remember how Gerry said Trevor was better than he was? Um, no. He did no favors for our Shakey Potatoes. And didn’t Boeheim talk up last year’s team, which is one of the reasons our crappy pre-season felt particularly crappy? Yes, the fans’ job is to go galloping down the field as fast as we can, and the coaching staff’s job is to rein us in. Just a bit.

Film at 11.
Door #3

I fully expect Jim to treat him like any other player.

In the past there had been some talk about Boeheim being the bad cop and Hopkins playing the good cop. Boeheim was/is hard on the players and Hopkins was always there to lend and ear and offer advice. I'm not sure if someone else on the coaching staff has stepped up to fill the good cop role or not, but I was wondering if there could be some team chemistry issues with Buddy. Would other players be OK complaining about how tough JAB is with his son right there?

I’m going under the assumption that OB is back and Battle is gone, so for me the questions are:

-How good is Hughes? We’ve heard some really promising reports but have to wait to see it on the court. He’s a huge X factor here.

-We know Bazley will score(hopefully efficiently), but how is the rebounding/defense? If we can mesh him in as a scorer with the hard hat defensive mentality that this group had, we will be a tough out.

-Will Sidibe be healthy? If what Mike is saying is correct and the only game he felt good was Pitt and he put up an 18 and 16, that would seem to bode pretty well if surgery fixes his knee.

Our ability to win a NC depends on how good our half court offense is.

Sidibe needs to be able to score in the post and we need shooting.

Come tournament time the D will be as good as it can be.
To win 6 games we need an offense.
We played a really good offensive game against Duke and that made that game competitive.