Testing today | Syracusefan.com

Testing today

Power and speed; kid is poised for a huge season.
That's Le'Veon Bell size and speed (faster than he posted at the combine actually)...if he's anywhere near as good as he was this year he's in for a monster season.

The turnaround in overall athleticism in the program from 6-7 years ago is outstanding. Lots of credit to not only the S&C staff but for guys like Bartholomew and Shamarko, who showed the young guys what it really means to "rise and grind"

Darius Kelly tweete he increased his bench 40lbs in 2 months.

The corner has been turned when it comes to speed for the football program. The past two years have been the best I've seen in years on the hill and sprinkle "older" guys like Smith putting up some nice numbers...the future is getting better and better.

The turnaround in overall athleticism in the program from 6-7 years ago is outstanding. Lots of credit to not only the S&C staff but for guys like Bartholomew and Shamarko, who showed the young guys what it really means to "rise and grind"

Any word on whether this work ethic has been maintained under the new regime?

From what I hear, guys have continued this work ethic. Marrone and Shafer are similar in that both understand that SU will need to outwork opponents in order to win games. No matter what happens, it's obvious that as fans we have a fb program that we can take pride in again.

@DrewAllen1: That dude @RomeSmith45 ran a 4.48 today at 225lbs! Killed it!

Can one of the mods go through and delete all my posts saying Smith is slow? Thank you. In all honesty, I'm shocked by that number. I really am. Would have figured 4.6 would be a really, really good 40 for Smith.

Can one of the mods go through and delete all my posts saying Smith is slow? Thank you. In all honesty, I'm shocked by that number. I really am. Would have figured 4.6 would be a really, really good 40 for Smith.

I remember coaches saying a while back he was fast but sometimes when you have the rock in your hands it could change some players speed more than others. I think the reason why many thought he wasn't fast is because he was brought in for the short situations early in his career.

The corner has been turned when it comes to speed for the football program. The past two years have been the best I've seen in years on the hill and sprinkle "older" guys like Smith putting up some nice numbers...the future is getting better and better.

Remember the linebackers in the GRob era? You were just praying that they were already in the right spot at the snap and didn't have to go to a sideline, because if they did, you knew they were toast.

If Smith ran a 4.48, I wonder what PTG ran, because he's supposedly faster.

I remember coaches saying a while back he was fast but sometimes when you have the rock in your hands it could change some players speed more than others. I think the reason why many thought he wasn't fast is because he was brought in for the short situations early in his career.

Yeah, I'm not sure. I just don't really remember him running away from anybody in the open field. Really quick to the hole, extremely powerful in the hole, but 4.46 is at least on the edge of 'big-play guy' territory and I wouldn't have guessed it. Shows how much I know!

Remember the linebackers in the GRob era? You were just praying that they were already in the right spot at the snap and didn't have to go to a sideline, because if they did, you knew they were toast.

A lot of those guys were over their head, no doubt and Robinson didn't help prepare them strength wise either. That was tough to watch and to be honest we saw it at the end of P as well.

I'd probably take it with a grain of salt and just assume he's in the 4.5 - 4.6 range. I don't think it much matters. Jerome isn't going to out run anybody.

Yeah, I'm not sure. I just don't really remember him running away from anybody in the open field. Really quick to the hole, extremely powerful in the hole, but 4.46 is at least on the edge of 'big-play guy' territory and I wouldn't have guessed it. Shows how much I know!
Well... you are a bills fan. So clearly not much. Heyoooo. Jk but seriously, the bills.

These tests remind me of how they figure out MPG for cars. I want the runningback numbers for 3 yards to 10 O'Clock and then a cut to 2 O'Clock for 5 yards and then 30 yards to the zone all with a ball in their hands.

It's good that Smith is fast, but his weakness is still instinct. If he has a hole to hit, he'll hit it hard and knock someone over on the way to being tackled, but he doesn't seem to create yards that aren't there. His speed and size make him a good running back. His lack of running instincts prevent him from being a great one. I don't want this to sound like I'm insulting him because I'm not. I'm glad he's on our team and expect him to have a good year, but the all-American talk is very unfounded.

I believe Smith got better with his reads as the season progressed but I'd also have to admit the holes were bigger as the season went on as well.

I have no doubt that Smith is faster than most think, it's just a little disguised by his running style a little, as well as the fact that he's not particularly quick laterally. Shifty guys always look faster than guys who just have good straight ahead speed, if you ask me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom