Thamel gives some names | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

Dan mullen
Ed O
Jimbo fisher might wanna come back to the ACC (highly unlikely)
Gus Malzahn
Proven winners
All were dumpster fires and didn’t adapt at their past stops . Malazan will be at Arkansas if anywhere

Is Villari stuck here or can he transfer again because of the change in coach? Just looked it up with the NCAA and didn't see anything about a waiver of there is a change of coach
I think one of the admins said last night in gameday thread he can only transfer and play immediately if he's a grad student. If he were to transfer again think he would have to sit a year.

I have and always will be fine with coming back. Plus the game has changed and is more professionalized than ever before.

He’s a lot better option that some of the other names.
I would say very easily the most qualified. I think he would do great. Keep Nunzio, and hire a few other guys that can recruit and it would be fine.

Brown coached at Baylor during the 2017 and 2018 season, serving as assistant head coach and defensive backs coach.

He’s a good recruiter which is where the AHC title came from. He’s a career DB coach. Not sure how this translates to head coach material. I’d question hiring him as a DC.

He’s a good recruiter which is where the AHC title came from. He’s a career DB coach. Not sure how this translates to head coach material. I’d question hiring him as a DC.

I agree, it's too big of a jump. Head Coach has a lot more to do than just recruit and coach one position group

Yeah I don’t quite get this one. Hopefully it’s just a name being tossed into the pool and not someone serious.

This will be long. I am somewhat informed about Coach Cignetti and the JMU Athletic Department. I probably know more about the inner workings of the JMU AD and what makes Cignetti tick than anyone else on this board. I don't have a hard and fast "he's coming" or "he's not coming" to share with anyone here. I do have an idea of the atmosphere at JMU regarding the athletics program and the lengths it may go to keep Cignetti.

I don't have any major feelings one way or the other for him if he came to SU. I'm done figuring out what makes a coach successful over the short and long term. Every single one of us whiffed on at least one of the last four coaches in our expectations for them. We don't know, and frankly, neither do athletic administrators, what makes a good and long-lasting college football coach. What I do know is that Cignetti has spent his coaching years in the South.

He has been a head coach at Elon for two years and is now at JMU. He inherited an incredibly successful program. I think it's important to understand JMU football history to frame Curt Cignetti and the decision he'll make this offseason.

The three years before Cignetti inherited the program, JMU was 14-1 and won the FCS natty. 14-1 and were runners up and then 9-4 before Mike Houston left to coach at East Carolina. Houston won the natty in his first year as head coach after they went 9-3 the year before and made it to the playoffs under Everett Whithers. Everett Whithers bolted for Texas State.

In five seasons since he left JMU, Houston has had two winning seasons and went 2-9 this season. Whithers went to Texas State and went 2-10, 2-10, and 3-8 before he was fired. He is now the DC at Temple.

My point in all of this is that Cignetti didn't build the program. This program was invited to FBS in 2012 and turned it down because the athletic department wanted to ensure it was prepared to land in the FBS without a dip in success.

The coach doesn't make JMU. JMU makes the coach. They POUR money into the program. The practice facilities are already better than SU's, let alone the rest of the Sun Belt. There's a master plan to put a second deck on the other side of Bridgeforth and expand to more than 40,000. They have ample room to add to the east side of the stadium and the west side.

JMU will most likely back up a Brinks truck to Cignetti this offseason. My guess is with incentives, he will be making well over two million before all is said and done. That's not a random number I'm picking out of the sky. That's a number that I'm pretty sure is already in ink. It's not as much as he'd make at Syracuse. But I think it's enough to entice him to stay unless another, larger program comes and offers him five million or more.

JMU has built its program the right way, and it's because of the athletic facilities, the support system for athletes, and the athletic department unilaterally preparing for this moment for more than a decade.

Pittsburgh is as far north as Cignetti has ever coached, and he's from Pittsburgh. Syracuse might show interest in him, but I'm not sure he'll show interest in SU. He can move to much greener pastures and a much easier build than Syracuse offers him. And I'm not sold he would "turn around" a program. He inherited the JMU program and acted as a steward.

His claim to fame is turning around Elon. They were 2-9 before he arrived and went 8-4 his first year at the helm. The next year with him, they were 6-5. JMU then hired him.

Is he the answer? He might be, but I don't think he's as much of a slam-dunk hire as most on this thread believe.

This will be long. I am somewhat informed about Coach Cignetti and the JMU Athletic Department. I probably know more about the inner workings of the JMU AD and what makes Cignetti tick than anyone else on this board. I don't have a hard and fast "he's coming" or "he's not coming" to share with anyone here. I do have an idea of the atmosphere at JMU regarding the athletics program and the lengths it may go to keep Cignetti.

I don't have any major feelings one way or the other for him if he came to SU. I'm done figuring out what makes a coach successful over the short and long term. Every single one of us whiffed on at least one of the last four coaches in our expectations for them. We don't know, and frankly, neither do athletic administrators, what makes a good and long-lasting college football coach. What I do know is that Cignetti has spent his coaching years in the South.

He has been a head coach at Elon for two years and is now at JMU. He inherited an incredibly successful program. I think it's important to understand JMU football history to frame Curt Cignetti and the decision he'll make this offseason.

The three years before Cignetti inherited the program, JMU was 14-1 and won the FCS natty. 14-1 and were runners up and then 9-4 before Mike Houston left to coach at East Carolina. Houston won the natty in his first year as head coach after they went 9-3 the year before and made it to the playoffs under Everett Whithers. Everett Whithers bolted for Texas State.

In five seasons since he left JMU, Houston has had two winning seasons and went 2-9 this season. Whithers went to Texas State and went 2-10, 2-10, and 3-8 before he was fired. He is now the DC at Temple.

My point in all of this is that Cignetti didn't build the program. This program was invited to FBS in 2012 and turned it down because the athletic department wanted to ensure it was prepared to land in the FBS without a dip in success.

The coach doesn't make JMU. JMU makes the coach. They POUR money into the program. The practice facilities are already better than SU's, let alone the rest of the Sun Belt. There's a master plan to put a second deck on the other side of Bridgeforth and expand to more than 40,000. They have ample room to add to the east side of the stadium and the west side.

JMU will most likely back up a Brinks truck to Cignetti this offseason. My guess is with incentives, he will be making well over two million before all is said and done. That's not a random number I'm picking out of the sky. That's a number that I'm pretty sure is already in ink. It's not as much as he'd make at Syracuse. But I think it's enough to entice him to stay unless another, larger program comes and offers him five million or more.

JMU has built its program the right way, and it's because of the athletic facilities, the support system for athletes, and the athletic department unilaterally preparing for this moment for more than a decade.

Pittsburgh is as far north as Cignetti has ever coached, and he's from Pittsburgh. Syracuse might show interest in him, but I'm not sure he'll show interest in SU. He can move to much greener pastures and a much easier build than Syracuse offers him. And I'm not sold he would "turn around" a program. He inherited the JMU program and acted as a steward.

His claim to fame is turning around Elon. They were 2-9 before he arrived and went 8-4 his first year at the helm. The next year with him, they were 6-5. JMU then hired him.

Is he the answer? He might be, but I don't think he's as much of a slam-dunk hire as most on this thread believe.
Thank you. Excellent insight.

The comment that we have all liked at first our prior hires is spot on. HC selection and success is a roll of the dice .

Long time fan and 2004 alumnus. Thank you John Wildhack for making this important decision. Our beloved program is in need of a change in direction from what we've been witnessing on the field the past handful of seasons.

Haven't been able to stomach posting over these last few seasons but I'm a consistent lurker on the board. Appreciate all the fantastic insights gleaned here. There's certainly several solid candidates out there. Although there are some shortcomings (as there will be with every candidate we interview) count me as one that would love to have Marrone back for many of the reasons already stated.

Does anyone know what the time frame was between Shafer being fired and the Babers hire.

Does anyone know what the time frame was between Shafer being fired and the Babers hire.

IMG_8941.jpeg
IMG_8942.jpeg

12 days

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors