Thamel gives some names | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

There is not a single position coach, college or NFL, that should be named our head coach next season. Point blank period. It's not being a "negative nelly" for not wanting to torpedo our program.

Not only has this guy never been a coordinator at any level, he's never been a head coach at any level, and you actually believe he will be able to work for the Eagles until February, while hiring a full staff, recruiting a full class, and doing all the other things that come with a P5 HC job?

There’s also the fact that Wildhack pretty explicitly said that he wouldn’t consider a position coach.

Also, how’s a NFL O-Line coach gonna ‘know’ NY / Northeast, have contacts and relationships with all the necessary HS coaches & programs, etc?

Lastly - JW also said he’s very aware of the 12/4 date.

So you’d imagine there’s prolly a 99.44% chance the new guy is announced prior.

We are looking to hire a new head coach. Candidates will need to be evaluated based on how good a head coach they would be. The head coach at a power 5 school is more of a CEO than a teacher or even a recruiter, (JB said the head coach is the 'closer' and that the assistants do most of the evaluation and recruitment). Their biggest job is to hire the right people to do that. If we need a good line coach, we don't hire a good line coach to be head coach. We need to hire a head coach who is going to hire a good line coach. If he's been a good line coach, his judgement on who to hire for that job might be better informed but we aren't hiring him to be the line coach.

Do we want an 'offensive guy' or a 'defensive guy'? We want a guy who is going to hire a good offensive guy and a good defensive guy to be his coordinators. An 'offensive guy' may want to meddle in the work of the offensive coordinator he hires. That may or may not be a good thing. A defensive guy might do the same. A defensive guy might actually want to hire the best offensive guy he can find and let him alone to do his job while he meddles in the work of the defensive guy. So getting an offensive guy as your head coach doesn't necessarily mean your offense is going to get better.

The best way to evaluate a candidate for the head coaching job would be to look at guys who have done that job before. Previous coaching experience in the Northeast would be a plus and so would previous coaching experience in other areas we want to recruit. You'd want someone who, by age, should have another decade or so to coach and, hopefully someone willing to be here for a while rather than using us as a stepping stone. A coach in his 50's would probably be good.

I think Dan Mullen or Al Golden would make the most sense here. But we've to got to be able to spend the money needed to get them plus the money needed to get them the staff they will need to do the job properly.

We are looking to hire a new head coach. Candidates will need to be evaluated based on how good a head coach they would be. The head coach at a power 5 school is more of a CEO than a teacher or even a recruiter, (JB said the head coach is the 'closer' and that the assistants do most of the evaluation and recruitment). Their biggest job is to hire the right people to do that. If we need a good line coach, we don't hire a good line coach to be head coach. We need to hire a head coach who is going to hire a good line coach. If he's been a good line coach, his judgement on who to hire for that job might be better informed but we aren't hiring him to be the line coach.

Do we want an 'offensive guy' or a 'defensive guy'? We want a guy who is going to hire a good offensive guy and a good defensive guy to be his coordinators. An 'offensive guy' may want to meddle in the work of the offensive coordinator he hires. That may or may not be a good thing. A defensive guy might do the same. A defensive guy might actually want to hire the best offensive guy he can find and let him alone to do his job while he meddles in the work of the defensive guy. So getting an offensive guy as your head coach doesn't necessarily mean your offense is going to get better.

The best way to evaluate a candidate for the head coaching job would be to look at guys who have done that job before. Previous coaching experience in the Northeast would be a plus and so would previous coaching experience in other areas we want to recruit. You'd want someone who, by age, should have another decade or so to coach and, hopefully someone willing to be here for a while rather than using us as a stepping stone. A coach in his 50's would probably be good.

I think Dan Mullen or Al Golden would make the most sense here. But we've to got to be able to spend the money needed to get them plus the money needed to get them the staff they will need to do the job properly.
If they hire either of those it would show a major financial investment into football has been made and the university is finally serious about winning. No way either of those guys come and allow to be crippled by a small staff budget and no nil. That’s why I’m rooting for them over Chesney

There is not a single position coach, college or NFL, that should be named our head coach next season. Point blank period. It's not being a "negative nelly" for not wanting to torpedo our program.

Not only has this guy never been a coordinator at any level, he's never been a head coach at any level, and you actually believe he will be able to work for the Eagles until February, while hiring a full staff, recruiting a full class, and doing all the other things that come with a P5 HC job?

It would be a crazy risk.

I get that he's a top shelf OL coach, and it's our biggest weakness, and and a top shelf OL coach worked out in 2009. But it's not the same world now.

Bringing in a soon to be 62 year old guy who hasn't coached in college in 10 years just doesn't make any sense at all.

That said, if we do hire him, I'll rally around it. I'll rally around anyone not named Randy Edsall.

I don’t know much about Mullen but this evaluation of him would something we have not had in a long time.

From Sports Illustrated / All Gators “Developing impenetrable game plans against some of the nation’s top teams during his four years, Mullen will go down as one of the best in-game coaches in Florida history.”

What P4 jobs are likely to open up in the next two weeks?

This is a good listen. Skip the first couple and last couple minutes, but the middle 24 minutes or so with Feldman is good.
Interesting, he mentioned White as a possible candidate for the USC DC job.

I don't think you can point to success or failure at Miami to indicate anything anymore. Every coach has "failed" in relation to their resources and recruiting. Diaz, Golden, Richt etc. only one 10-win season since they moved to ACC in 2004.
That's kind of amazing, we have as many 10-win seasons in the ACC as Miami, sounds kind of impressive until you know the number.

I would be willing to wait if JW in fact thinks he is the guy to bring us back. One class isnt worth trading your future for.
It's true, don't worry about the high school recruits, just hammer the portal.

This is less realistic than the dream I had where Shaq high-fived me before tossing me in the air like a child.
That wasn’t a dream, Nancy.

11601188-1004-41FF-8A10-144FE9E91823.jpeg

Duke might. So could NC State and Wake Forest. Have even read Mike Norvell might be in play for TA&M.

Elko might be the top candidate for a couple of jobs. I think he is the most likely.
Nc state? They’re 8-3. Are you high?

Duke might. So could NC State and Wake Forest. Have even read Mike Norvell might be in play for TA&M.

Elko might be the top candidate for a couple of jobs. I think he is the most likely.
I think Elko ends up at A&M or Michigan St.

Good post. I think you really described Chesney. Yes, he's 44 but who's counting?! Mullen has been out of the NE 25 years and Golden 23.

Good post. I think you really described Chesney. Yes, he's 44 but who's counting?! Mullen has been out of the NE 25 years and Golden 23.

Golden was the HC at Temple 2006-2010, so it's 13. And he's at Notre Dame so I'm sure he helps with recruiting the east.

Golden was the HC at Temple 2006-2010, so it's 13. And he's at Notre Dame so I'm sure he helps with recruiting the east.
Right thanks for the correction but 13 is a long time as well. Of the two, Golden is closer to the mark. Anyway, many say Mullen will never return to the grind.

I live in Raleigh - when they were 1-1 (barely beat UCONN) the fans were calling for him to go. This 8-3 season was not at all expected.

Man, I wish Cuse had years like that (unexpected 8-3 seasons)

NC State stinks this year but so does everyone else. Someone has to win in the end. Same as BC being 6-5, and awful team and Bowl eligible. It SHOULD have been SU as well. Given the schedule we could have easily been 8-4 and still been an ungood team. Heck we are a bad team and likely end up 6-6.

NC State stinks this year but so does everyone else. Someone has to win in the end. Same as BC being 6-5, and awful team and Bowl eligible. It SHOULD have been SU as well. Given the schedule we could have easily been 8-4 and still been an ungood team. Heck we are a bad team and likely end up 6-6.
We had a historically easy out of conf schedule. If this was a Normal SU OOC (similar to what Shafer dealt with) we are a 4 win team at best. We’ve won 1 conf game. We have no business being in a bowl based on that. It’s almost absurd. Imagine SU hoops going to the NIT w 3 ACC wins or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom