Thamel: Syracuse forward Jerami Grant plans to announce he's declaring for the NBA Draft today. | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel: Syracuse forward Jerami Grant plans to announce he's declaring for the NBA Draft today.

that's just flat out wrong. when you are in the NBA it's your job. you aren't limited to practice minutes, school work, etc, all you can think about is basketball. you can hire a personal trainer, a personal coach, a nutritionist, and whatever else you want to improve your game. there are so many young guys that come in early to work out with coaches, or even their own personal trainers before game days, and practice. your point has no merit what so ever

That's a lot of out of pocket money for a pick that isn't lottery. And half the time these guys are on the road, which is limiting by it's nature. If Donte hired all those folks that's even less money left.

That's a lot of out of pocket money for a pick that isn't lottery. And half the time these guys are on the road, which is limiting by it's nature. If Donte hired all those folks that's even less money left.

at least you have the option to do that stuff if your a professional. i was just arguing the fact that kids develop better when in college, when college practice minutes (including individual workouts) are limited.

TinyManInside said:
I have a hard time believing any of the assumptions you made in this post. This seems like pie in the sky math with very little basis in reality.
i think you have to discount the total by at least another 15 percent for other taxes and fees. I think yearly spend conservatively is 250k a year. I'd be shocked if donte had 1mil of the 5mil at this point...

I know many are caught up with the Donte test case...but let's use another player that left WAY too early that year. 2008 Draft

He left so early...he fell into the 2nd round. DeAndre Jordan. If only he stayed at Texas A&M for 2 more years, he wouldn't have been able to sign a 4 year, 40 million dollar contract. Amazingly, he's gotten much better playing in the NBA.

Other examples for players that left too early...
Demarr DeRozen
Jrue Holiday
Avery Bradley
Eric Bledsoe

Didn't kill any of them.

Good luck Jerami. I hope you have a wonderful career in the NBA.

Now, I am looking forward to seeing the youngsters get some pt and show their stuff in real games. If these freshmen develop along with the incoming class, the following year we could be loaded.

Go Cuse!

that's just flat out wrong. when you are in the NBA it's your job. you aren't limited to practice minutes, school work, etc, all you can think about is basketball. you can hire a personal trainer, a personal coach, a nutritionist, and whatever else you want to improve your game. there are so many young guys that come in early to work out with coaches, or even their own personal trainers before game days, and practice. your point has no merit what so ever

All of those things are great, but the only way to improve your skills is to play in games, you can't improve sitting on the bench, no matter how hard you workout or what foods you eat.

Cuse117 said:
I love how the people making the arguement that Donte made a horrible decision are completely discounting the fact that he can use his contacts made from being in the NBA to get a, you know, job after he is done playing

And use the money to go back to college if needed. He's also going to make good money playing overseas. I doubt he is having issues with his decision.

We're in that awkward cycle we don't get elite one-and-done's who can carry a team (like UK); but we don't get many "significantly above average" 4 year players either (I know, CJ).

We get guys who show enough flash to be considered lotto or 1st round picks; they bolt; but were never great college players.

I think that this ^^^^^ is a fair assessment.

I feel like Melo ruined it for any one and done or two and done player here because they will all be compared to him and he set the bar way too high. It would be like having Kate Upton be the first girl you ever sleep with would ruin any future relations as you know you will never out do that.

He is playing in China, how happy can he possibly be? That money isn't going to last forever unless you invested it really well.

An extra year at Syracuse does nothing to change that. He was not an nba level player. All he could, or ever wanted to do, was the jumper over others
.. and those shots were horribly inefficient. Guy has never had any interest in improving his game or compete level.

The argument some make on this is take the money before you get found out for not being good enough.

The classic argument is develop your game, mind, and body to give the NBA the best you can offer.

Every time some kid doesn't take the money and gets exposed in college becomes an argument for the kid to jump and for an NBA team to make a bad pick. That seems backwards to me.

Why are you assuming a player develops better in college. It's just as big a flawed assumption. It's not always the case.

Who says anything about three years, if he stays one year improves his game, he could have been a lottery pick.

Sure... anybody that really watched him play without homer goggles realized he was a chuckers with zero compete level. That was not going to change in year 2 and was going to hold him back from developing. He is exactly the type of player that has a fall in stock, because his skill set would not improve much.

I will be honest. I could not stand Donte and wanted him to leave. Perhaps it is skewing my assessment of how he could develop anywhere... to me he has always been lazy and uncompetitive on the floor sand that would always bring him down.

I like the fact that SU has enough talented players that can leave early if they so desire.

As for Grant, maybe he wanted to develop his game for the NBA by trying to play his game and not Boeheims offense. Sometimes Boeheim has a bit of a limit on what certain players can do shooting wise and maybe Grant thought he could A...make a lot of money and B...develop his offense in a different circumstance outside of Boeheims system. Also, playing man to man defense...the earlier that knowledge comes the better.

the only way grant becomes a good nba player is with NBA horsepills and a staff of people making him shoot all the time

he's not getting either of those things at SU

lots of guys in the NBA are good at putback dunks. get paid, don't risk more back injuries.

Last edited:
Interesting points Millhouse because I'm sure the NBA is going to look at that back very closely much like a thoroughbred horse about to be bought.

What about Grant's game that screams NBA - shooting, strength, the reverse spin dive to the hole? He's a marginal at best firs
Why are you assuming a player develops better in college. It's just as big a flawed assumption. It's not always the case.

Boeheim has a great track record of developing guys, that's why. I trust the program to to that since it's what they do.

What about Grant's game that screams NBA - shooting, strength, the reverse spin dive to the hole? He's a marginal at best firs

Boeheim has a great track record of developing guys, that's why. I trust the program to to that since it's what they do.

Good points Bayside but I have to ask, do you think Boeheim would let Grant shoot from the outside and develop that part of his game? Would Boeheim be patient and let that part of Grants game develop? Granted, Grant would have to work hard on that part of his game along with that spin move you mentioned and I agree with you, he has a lot to learn. This is a bit of the chicken/egg argument to me and depending on the player it may just simply be what is the best fit for that particular kid. We as fans will see how it works out in 5 or so years.

Good points Bayside but I have to ask, do you think Boeheim would let Grant shoot from the outside and develop that part of his game? Would Boeheim be patient and let that part of Grants game develop? Granted, Grant would have to work hard on that part of his game along with that spin move you mentioned and I agree with you, he has a lot to learn. This is a bit of the chicken/egg argument to me and depending on the player it may just simply be what is the best fit for that particular kid. We as fans will see how it works out in 5 or so years.

John Wallace's most famous shot at SU was a 3, he wasn't shooting those his first two years. Hak got stretched out, as did others (in an earlier post I made). Heck CJ was jacking 3s all season and he started out as a putback and dunk guy.

John Wallace's most famous shot at SU was a 3, he wasn't shooting those his first two years. Hak got stretched out, as did others (in an earlier post I made). Heck CJ was jacking 3s all season and he started out as a putback and dunk guy.
i don't know how well SU develops these guys. SU players in the NBA by and large have terrible three point shooting. the only forwards that can shoot at all were johnson and anthony who were one and done, can't really credit SU too much for their development

Very true. Sitting from my seat watching I'd rather see Grant develop his jump shooting for his own health as well as making himself a better player. I also agree that it is/was possible that Grant could have played the CJ role and got those 10-16 shots per game. That said, Grant may have seen CJ's stock fall and thought that he isn't going to take that same chance.