Thank you JB | Syracusefan.com

Thank you JB

UnknownOrange

2023 Cali Award Winner Points Scored
It’s weird. It was overdue in my eyes, but that doesn’t mean it’s not weird.

What’s your favorite JB memory?

I was an intern when my grandfather passed away in 2013. Just a facilities intern. Almost never saw coach, but SU basketball was one of grandpas favorites. He passed the day we came back and beat Louisville on the road on a cold night in January.

I went up to the SU basketball office on Monday morning, and asked Kelly (RIP) if coach would sign something for my grandfathers funeral. She (if you knew her, it’s no surprise) took me right in, explained to coach what had happened and he immediately got up, came over and took the hat, signed it, and looked me right in the eye and said “I’m so sorry for your loss”.

It was such a small gesture. Such a small moment, but I’ll always remember it.

I hope others have those type of stories we don’t often hear.

The career didn’t end on the note he or any of us wanted, but his impact on the community and literally millions is going to be damn near impossible to match.

Enjoy retirement Coach. Thank you!

Favorite memory was probably seeing him walk from the bench to shake Roy’s hand. You could totally see the pure joy he had. Could and have watched it 1000 times.

This is so surreal, it seems like he’s passed and not just retired. I really hope he is around town often and in the dome.

Favorite memory was probably seeing him walk from the bench to shake Roy’s hand. You could totally see the pure joy he had. Could and have watched it 1000 times.

This is so surreal, it seems like he’s passed and not just retired. I really hope he is around town often and in the dome.

Just want to say you have handled this in the right way. You’ve been critical in the past but balanced and respectful. I too hope he is a frequent part of the dome and Cuse family

Not being able to watch the 2014 Duke-Cuse ending but seeing on Twitter that JB was tossed after defending that BS charge call on CJ

Additionally (not really a specific JB memory, but Cuse), us beating UVA to get to the bottom. I remember calling my Dad right after and telling him we had to get tickets. We went and nonetheless watched two awful games (Nova blew out OU, UNC blew out us) and decided to sell our tickets for the championship game :rolleyes:

Just want to say you have handled this in the right way. You’ve been critical in the past but balanced and respectful. I too hope he is a frequent part of the dome and Cuse family
Have always been critical but never wanted him fired. Always felt he deserved the moments with his kids, this year was tough. I acknowledged a change was needed but to me JB is not just Syracuse basketball, but basketball. The mixed bag of emotion has been tough of me, I can’t imagine for him and his family. He was a cranky old man at this point, but he was our cranky old man.

In some bizzaro world out there he won a title in 86, 10, 12 and 03. I don’t think the one title hinders his legacy like it would some.

My earliest memories of Syracuse basketball are of us fast break dunking (usually Thompson), the Dome going nuts, and Boeheim pumping his fist on the sideline. Perhaps the 89 GTown game specifically is where I got that memory? Remember him being extra fired up after the fast break alley-oop to Owens where he got fouled on the dunk, and Sherman’s reverse dunk to clinch the game in OT.

Both plays found here between the 3:30 and 4:00 mark.

One of best is 65-63 over Georgetown in 1985. My first SU/Hoya tilt.

FC8D742B-2066-4EFE-BD8F-A91C7F9591FB.jpeg

Being about four years old, going into pre-K with my parents at Tecumseh, and bumping into Boeheim (who was dropping off his daughter).

After he said hi to my parents, who knew him casually, he stooped down and said hi, do you know me? "Coach Bkbabgabgndlgnsgndb!" was my jumbled little-kid reply.

"It's OK, the TV guys don't get it right either," he said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom