Thanks Red | Syracusefan.com

Thanks Red

TinyManInside

Our only goal will be the western shores.
Thanks for installing a new brand of basketball, it's refreshing after the same stale approach for the last 6 or 7 seasons. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Cuse hoops this year. Still too soon to make any judgment on if Red is the right man for the longterm, but I truly appreciate his willingness to mold the program into his own vision.

The early signs point to Red being successful as HC at Syracuse. He’s doing a lot with a team that has some clear flaws (shooting and rebounding). But his style of play is fun to watch. I’m hopeful for the future once he adds some key players.

People might not want to hear it, but Red is doing exactly what Hurley did at UCONN. It starts with learning to guard and then bringing in talented players to compete with anyone. Red is just so better composed. I think his future is bright if he can bring in the talent.

This plus a thousand… I actually try to watch most of the games because they are fun and I think they will win. I haven’t been able to say that for years.

If only these guys could shoot… they get a ton of open looks but the “shooters” don’t make them. This team would be so much harder to defend if there was someone to stretch the D.

I am excited to see where this thing goes with a full squad of Autry in players. I still would like to see more structure and more plays on offense… but I get that’s probably really hard to do when the D can just pack it in and not worry about guarding perimeter shots.

Thanks for installing a new brand of basketball, it's refreshing after the same stale approach for the last 6 or 7 seasons. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Cuse hoops this year. Still too soon to make any judgment on if Red is the right man for the longterm, but I truly appreciate his willingness to mold the program into his own vision.
Love this Red Thread!

Yeah and it's really pathetic. 12-5, and getting better.
A lot of the people who were adamant that we hire from outside are going to be on Red’s @zz until he goes to a final four.

The rest of us will enjoy the ride. I think he’s off to a very good start. He has a deeply flawed team at 13-5.

It’s our best start through 18 games in 5 years.

A lot of the people who were adamant that we hire from outside are going to be on Red’s @zz until he goes to a final four.

The rest of us will enjoy the ride. I think he’s off to a very good start. He has a deeply flawed team at 13-5.

I was hoping for a national search even if it included Red. Once Red was announced I gave him my full support. But there were definitely fans complaining about Red after the Maui losses and even more after the UNC blowout.

I was hoping for a national search even if it included Red. Once Red was announced I gave him my full support. But there were definitely fans complaining about Red after the Maui losses and even more after the UNC blowout.
It’s fair to complain after all of our hideous blowout losses. They’re embarrassing.

But I suspect theyre occurring because Red is trying to implement a system that’s different from the awful glacial ball we played the past few years. Grinding out ugly-as-sin 9 point losses isn’t really any better than losing by 25.

The early signs point to Red being successful as HC at Syracuse. He’s doing a lot with a team that has some clear flaws (shooting and rebounding). But his style of play is fun to watch. I’m hopeful for the future once he adds some key players.
The dude is hard-nosed D and Run and gun. Its everything we want as a Cuse fan. He just needs even better talent and this will take off

I was all for going outside the program, not anti-Red, especially because he was really the only in-house hire to be made. Love that he has put his stamp on the program and despite years of indoctrination, immediately changes the style of play and on court attitude of the team. I don’t know him and didn’t know if he could do it. He has done what I had hoped an outside person would do.
He has brought the best of both options.
(It must have been hard for him to sit quietly while Jim limited things, like offense, defense, and playing time.)

There was a point around 3-4 minutes to go where I was like, “holy ****, this is insane basketball”.

Haven’t felt that way in a while. We beat a team that was balling and we beat them in a fun and exciting way.

It’s fair to complain after all of our hideous blowout losses. They’re embarrassing.

But I suspect theyre occurring because Red is trying to implement a system that’s different from the awful glacial ball we played the past few years. Grinding out ugly-as-sin 9 point losses isn’t really any better than losing by 25.
Red has done 13-5 with a pretty brutal schedule too. And a young team

Change is hard to manage. I’m watching this play out at my local high school, who replaced a long time wrestling coach with a young guy who wrestled for Penn State. The philosophy they were using was from when I wrestled 30 years ago; the new coach said we needed to expect some growing pains as he changed that. One of the interesting things is a few kids that were “good wrestlers” previously haven’t adopted to the new system and got outwrestled for their weight class - somewhat unshockingly those kids and their parents are very vocal about how terrible the new coach is (even though the results show the team is better and improving).

I suspect some of the “anti-Red” sentiment is coming from people who feel their power and influence has been diminished. (There’s probably a decent size group that discovered to their surprise they have no influence at all). If the overall trend is positive, it makes sense to fixate on particular data points (individual losses) to defend their position.

I was all for going outside the program, not anti-Red, especially because he was really the only in-house hire to be made. Love that he has put his stamp on the program and despite years of indoctrination, immediately changes the style of play and on court attitude of the team. I don’t know him and didn’t know if he could do it. He has done what I had hoped an outside person would do.
He has brought the best of both options.
(It must have been hard for him to sit quietly while Jim limited things, like offense, defense, and playing time.)
He has brought back the game that JB used to coach until he started getting old.
I think after the 2nd probation, JB lost some desire in recruiting.
That resulted in getting less talented players and going completely to the zone to make up for lack of talent.

Change is hard to manage. I’m watching this play out at my local high school, who replaced a long time wrestling coach with a young guy who wrestled for Penn State. The philosophy they were using was from when I wrestled 30 years ago; the new coach said we needed to expect some growing pains as he changed that. One of the interesting things is a few kids that were “good wrestlers” previously haven’t adopted to the new system and got outwrestled for their weight class - somewhat unshockingly those kids and their parents are very vocal about how terrible the new coach is (even though the results show the team is better and improving).

I suspect some of the “anti-Red” sentiment is coming from people who feel their power and influence has been diminished. (There’s probably a decent size group that discovered to their surprise they have no influence at all). If the overall trend is positive, it makes sense to fixate on particular data points (individual losses) to defend their position.
Just curious, who is the former Penn St wrestler? I follow college wresting a bit.

If that coach wrestled at Ped st, then they are drilling non stop over and over cause that is what works the best. Some kids dont like the hard work and if the parents are complaining then they shouldnt be allowed to bepart of the team cause its like a cancer, If u feed it, it grows.

He has brought back the game that JB used to coach until he started getting old.
I think after the 2nd probation, JB lost some desire in recruiting.
That resulted in getting less talented players and going completely to the zone to make up for lack of talent.

To be fair, his 1996 Final Four run with only 6 or 7 guys was what turned him 100% to the zone. Up to that year, he mixed it up, along with a full court press, not the trunk monkey disorganized press he used in the last 10 years. It used to be more like a 2-2-1 zone press 2 guys around the foul line, two more on the sidelines in front of the half court line, and then the eraser in the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom