Thanks Red | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Thanks Red

Thanks for asking so nicely but the answer is I've given your request a lot of thought and regretfully, i must say that it's crazy to ask people to wait until the end of the season
Why would you complain about an unfinished product? Doesn’t it make more sense to evaluate him at the end of the season?

Why would you complain about an unfinished product? Doesn’t it make more sense to evaluate him at the end of the season?
I'm sure you always wait until the end of a season before judging teams

They play 11/12 guys and all of them know their roles and hold up well even in limited minutes. No real drop off, meanwhile our heavy minute guys were exhausted early in the 2nd half. Maybe one day we will have a roster full of guys who belong and we can plug in and stay in the game.

i have much less patience for that considering how much easier it is to plug players in now
Well, we had a bunch of sophs coming back after just one season. 2 . We did bring in kids from the portal but we were coming off a couple of bad seasons so people weren't lining up to come play for a new coach and a so so program. It will be a bit easier this season to have the talk with a few kids and to sell portal kids on playing a more uptempo game and playing with Freeman. Whether you or I have patience doesn't change anything. And since that is the case, you have no choice.

I'm sure you always wait until the end of a season before judging teams
In this specific instance with a new first year head coach inheriting a roster that’s not his, the knee-jerk back and forth reactions and takes on Red that we see on the board are stupid.

He’s doing admirably so far with an inferior product that was run into the ground under a previous administration. Unless the team quits on him mid-year, which has almost a 0% chance of happening, he’s earned our patience as fans to wait until the end of the season to nit-pick, IMO.

Well, we had a bunch of sophs coming back after just one season. 2 . We did bring in kids from the portal but we were coming off a couple of bad seasons so people weren't lining up to come play for a new coach and a so so program. It will be a bit easier this season to have the talk with a few kids and to sell portal kids on playing a more uptempo game and playing with Freeman. Whether you or I have patience doesn't change anything. And since that is the case, you have no choice.
I don't care how long they keep him. You know what i mean about patience, I have my doubts about Red and I know my doubts don't matter.

we're shooting 29% from 3 in conference now. Something is wrong with your approach if you're sub 30 after 8 games.

In this specific instance with a new first year head coach inheriting a roster that’s not his, the knee-jerk back and forth reactions and takes on Red that we see on the board are stupid.

He’s doing admirably so far with an inferior product that was run into the ground under a previous administration. Unless the team quits on him mid-year, which has almost a 0% chance of happening, he’s earned our patience as fans to wait until the end of the season to nit-pick, IMO.
Run into the ground

This is what i'm talking about. We are a little better than last year. We're the same as two years ago.

This board is still goofy and emotional

Run into the ground

This is what i'm talking about. We are a little better than last year. We're the same as two years ago.

Boeheim ran this program into the ground. If you can’t acknowledge that then you’re clearly mad. We have a chance to make the NCAAs AND win 20 games this year. In no sane evaluation is that remotely “a little better than last year”. The last time a Boeheim led SU team won 20 games in a season was FIVE YEARS AGO.

Run into the ground

Yeah this is a bit odd the shots being taken at Boeheim like that while this thread is close to almost worshipping Red for looking like the same mediocre team.

The ACC looks terrible this year too. FSU is 6-2 in the ACC despite looking like absolute garbage against South Florida and Lipscomb. Every good team we've faced we've been demolished outside of Oregon. We beat a few decent teams and suddenly there's all this praise for Red while taking cheap shots at Boeheim then they tell people to cool down if you bring up tonight's result to a mediocre team.

Boeheim ran this program into the ground. If you can’t acknowledge that then you’re clearly mad. We have a chance to make the NCAAs AND win 20 games this year. In no sane evaluation is that remotely “a little better than last year”. The last time a Boeheim led SU team won 20 games in a season was FIVE YEARS AGO.

We did make the Sweet 16 three years ago though. It was definitely a disappointing span after the Final 4 appearance in '16 but it was far from running it into the ground. He also brought prestige to this school.

Red should not be getting this amount of praise for literally doing nothing great so far while Boeheim is getting these cheap shots.

We did make the Sweet 16 three years ago though. It was definitely a disappointing span after the Final 4 appearance in '16 but it was far from running it into the ground. He also brought prestige to this school.

Red should not be getting this amount of praise for literally doing nothing great so far while Boeheim is getting these cheap shots.
People were obviously tired of Boeheim and it was past time but letting red off the hook for the same things boeheim got blasted for is telling. We have lost 6 games and all have been blowouts. Yes, most of these players are Boeheim recruits (along with this same staff) but Red has a chance to hit the portal. Those pickups have not been great and do not solve our forward, center or shooting problems. I think Autry will be fine and he will recruit at a better level. I also enjoy this style of play much better and can envision a better man defense when some of our poor man defenders are replaced.

However, it’s also fair to call out when the team is completely unprepared, when the team runs no semblence of an offense when the team plays sloppy and repeatedly folds when falling behind. When you are head coach that falls on you.

How is it not true? It’s not a cheap shot if its true.

lol? 2 mediocre years after a Sweet 16 appearance three years ago and building prestige through countless tourney appearances and deep tourney runs is running the product into the ground?

Then fine.. Red is running the product into the ground now. Fair enough?

Correct. Right nwo, we just don't have that many players that fit what we are trying to do.
Do you believe Red will have the business sense to have the talk with several players on the current roster? We need major attrition in addition to incoming high school talents… and I’m not sure Red will be willing to push kids out.

Run into the ground

I am actually agreeing with you, but I don’t think the shooting percentages should be a direct reflection on Autry’s ability to coach. That’s an indictment on the players. 1-14 isn’t good enough no matter what level you play at.

I think the portal guys we got - Starling specifically - was a shooter. So was Cuffe. Problem is, they’ve both been hurt. I also think Westry was expected to play a lot as a forward which hurts.

The conversation definitely needs to be had with a bunch of these guys. They’re clearly not good enough and won’t be. But I do think Freeman and Moore show signs that they can make shots at the college level. Freeman is a McD’s guy, first in awhile. Haven’t completely been sold on his offensive strategy but the kids play hard and the defense for the most part has been good enough. Just need better offensive players.

I am actually agreeing with you, but I don’t think the shooting percentages should be a direct reflection on Autry’s ability to coach. That’s an indictment on the players. 1-14 isn’t good enough no matter what level you play at.

I think the portal guys we got - Starling specifically - was a shooter. So was Cuffe. Problem is, they’ve both been hurt. I also think Westry was expected to play a lot as a forward which hurts.

The conversation definitely needs to be had with a bunch of these guys. They’re clearly not good enough and won’t be. But I do think Freeman and Moore show signs that they can make shots at the college level. Freeman is a McD’s guy, first in awhile. Haven’t completely been sold on his offensive strategy but the kids play hard and the defense for the most part has been good enough. Just need better offensive players.
We owe to jb to keep it in the family at first but I've seen nothing and heard nothing that gives me confidence autry knows more than what they did here as a player and later. It might be the roster but there are quick fixes for that too if you're ruthless enough

I’m not going to give this pitiful performance too much thought. Whole team underperformed, coaching staff included. Sometimes you just stink up the joint.

They were in the game for 30 minutes, and then nobody else but our 2 guards could score. Literally nobody else could get a basket. You have to score to win games.

We owe to jb to keep it in the family at first but I've seen nothing and heard nothing that gives me confidence autry knows more than what they did here as a player and later. It might be the roster but there are quick fixes for that too if you're ruthless enough

He's likely to win 20 games in his first year, despite all these injured players. He has established a new style, he has 2 great recruits coming in, and will be looking for a couple more in the portal. Based on what we've seen, I think players will be on board with what he's preaching.

Agree with all of that. I don't know that he could have had those conversations as quickly as March when he was hired. That would have gone against JB right away, and he was heavily involved in recruiting these guys - for better and worse.

All of this said - I am willing to be a bit patient and see how the roster looks next year. As you say, quick fixes can happen. It isn't that hard. Just need the NIL money to compete and it sounds like we do for the most part. Will we try? Will we take chances?

Freeman, Moore, Starling, Brown, Copeland... those are the only 5 players I would keep from this year, assuming Mintz is gone...

But Benny, McLeod, Taylor, Hima, Carey... even Bell... they're simply not good enough. Need better. Cuffe could maybe be kept as a 10th guy and Patterson I have no idea...

You make it sound so much easier than it is. Pitino overturned everyone at St. John’s outside of the center and still has 7 losses.
They’ve at least been competitive with top teams. That’s why they’re well inside the tournament despite 7 losses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom