That was a shame | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

That was a shame

Girard providing offense late was why we even had a chance.
Hughes and Buddy were gassed.

Not upset at all. This team is massively improved.

Throwing a shot at the rim instead of pulling up and shooting is why Clemson had a chance. Too many brain farts at the worst time. Can't throw yourself at the player and hope to get a call.

How?
The Duke FSU Louisville games will decide tournament fate. If we finish say 11-7 in ACC or better. It’s a tough road not impossible.

With 18:02 left in the second half Dolezaj picked up his 3rd foul (Sidibe already 3 of course) and he and Sidibe continued to to play at the same time until Dolezaj picked up his 4th with 13:55 left.
I think once they both have 3 fouls with so much time left you need yo put in Q and use their remaining 4 fouls at the center. It did not benefit us much in having them both in the game with 3 fouls.

Neither can duke

I get the take, but Duke losing to Clemson isn’t going to hurt them one bit, quite doubtful the same can be said relative to our loss in comparison and the general scope of things.

The Duke FSU Louisville games will decide tournament fate. If we finish say 11-7 in ACC or better. It’s a tough road not impossible.
Not sure we can win any of those games.

there's 20 games in ACC, if we can go 6-4 with upset of 1 of Big 3 we've got a shot at a play-in game

We can also win the tourney maybe. Stranger things have happened

I get the take, but Duke losing to Clemson isn’t going to hurt them one bit, quite doubtful the same can be said relative to our loss in comparison and the general scope of things.

Yea but that’s not what he said.

Team played well. We lost our 2 bigs who can play right now.
Got beat on the road in a 1 point game.
The ND and VPI home games are more frustrating than this game.

If we play like we did tonight we will win at least 17 games.
I am not going to be greedy in expectations. Just play well and we will win games.
Exactly..17 is the goal and still in play. The streak was a little fools gold. Play enough close games you eventually lose some. Saturday is a bigger chapter in the book than tonight.

I doubt that was the call. I think he called his own number.
Yeah, to me it clearly looked like JG was trying to draw a foul, but got out of control. I somehow get it. He gets the foul it is 2 automatic points plus a chance for a three point play. And to get defense set up.

This game was nerve-wracking. Two guys foul out. Our offense was so inconsistent. Yet it still came down to the final possession. I will give Clemson credit for exploiting weaknesses and playing tough DF

One more observation on JG3. Yes, he hit a couple of ridiculous shots at the end. However, he couldn't get anything going the first 35 minutes. When he isn't seen as an offensive threat, it really allows the other team to focus on Buddy/Eli. The was especially clear last night

Louisville is extremely flawed and doesn’t have great guard play. If we hang with them on the boards and make our 3s that game is winnable.

FSU to me is the tough one.

Louisville is extremely flawed and doesn’t have great guard play. If we hang with them on the boards and make our 3s that game is winnable.

FSU to me is the tough one.
FSU lost to offensively-challenged UVa last night (and were getting points in Vegas). Will be a stern test for us in Tallahassee, but they are hardly the 1976 Hoosiers.

FSU lost to offensively-challenged UVa last night (and were getting points in Vegas). Will be a stern test for us in Tallahassee, but they are hardly the 1976 Hoosiers.

FSU is a long putt for SU this year. Deep and athletic team. Just a bad match up.

Absolutely, We can beat anybody , thats why anybody decent wants to get in the field of 68. No powerhouse 5s anywhere. Still waiting for Girard to find his shot. Anyone that watched him play HS knows he shoots the ball better then he has been. ( Someone is going to tell its the level of competition but Im talking about his open looks) We have three bonafide scorers that make us tough to stop. I dont think we have seen what this team can do yet.

I had this game estimated as a loss prior to conference play starting. Little John has been a tough place to play for any Syracuse team - even the good ones - and they're 1-3 there in conference play. Clemson is just good enough this season like every other team in the mushy middle.

Whatevs - on to the next.

Win Saturday and all is forgiven. JB really should give Hughes and Buddy a breather. They are both jump shooters that rely on their legs. They had nothing late.
I know that the "guys need a breather, they have nothing late in the game" idea is one that a lot of people believe in... but I have to ask, what do folks really base this belief on?

Last night, from the 5:00 mark onward, Buddy was perfect from the field (1-1 on a nice pump-fake, pull-up 18 foot jumper) and Elijah was 1-2 from the field (made a nice turnaround, 15 ft fall-away jumper with 2:48 to play and just missed the last shot with 0:10 to play). Elijah also made both his free throws with 2:12 to play. And Joe made a driving layup, hit a 3-pter, had two huge defensive rebounds and a steal.
We scored on 4 consecutive possessions from 3:34 to 1:34 - until our freshest player committed a turnover with 0:56 to play.

I would have thought that after the W at Virginia - when the guys made multiple shots in OT against literally the #1 defense in the nation - that this narrative would have gone away... why do so many people believe that Buddy/Eli/Joe "have no legs" late in the game?

that this narrative would have gone away..
I dunno, but if it's not a problem to play these guys 40 mpg - how come literally no other P5 coach does it?

Edited to add:
This season, Hughes leads the country in games with 40 minutes or more at 14 games. Most of the other players with more than 1 or 2 game of 40+ minutes are all scrub D1 schools. A lot of the 1s and 2s are OT games. And few of those schools player more than 1 guy 40 minutes+ (e.g., george washington, holy cross, maine, etc.). This season so far, there have been 30 times Syracuse has a player go more than 40 minutes. They are an anomaly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom