The All Inclusive NY State Recruiting Thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

The All Inclusive NY State Recruiting Thread

I am happy with the guys we got in the portal, but just because kids had crazy offers out of high school I would love to see what they had in the portal. Not one of these guys played a meaningful snap this past year, Braylen did not play a meaningful snap in his entire career at Alabama. I hope they are all superstars, but we have to be honest about what we got.

That's fair, but the point still stands. Duce / Carter were proven commodities. We replaced them with two defensive backs who were much higher rated recruits, with far better offers than the two who departed. But they still need to prove it on the field.

Ditto DL. We lost Linton, who was a playmaker. But we replaced him with a much higher profile prospect -- but it remains to be seen whether he's over the hump medically.

We lost two negligible OL who hadn't seen the field, and replaced them with the #2 JUCO center prospect and a fifth-year transfer who pencils into the starting lineup at RT -- so on paper, an upgrade -- but we'll see.

The only positional unit we didn't improve via the portal is WR. Queely didn't see the field, Courtney Jackson was at least a solid platoon guy. I would expect the coaching staff to try to bring in a WR via the portal this spring, but what we lost is a net negative.

But honestly, it seems like we replaced most of the departures with players with higher potential. Now, they need to actualize that potential.

If you think NYC is the answer to that, then I have a bridge there to sell you. You can cross it daily on your treks to talk to Wayne Morgan.
I'm not real big on cardio. And it shows. Thank you for the offer though.

He is talking about HS recruiting, and the fact that you have to point to the transfers helps prove his point.

Look at the offers for this HS class and it is very weak. Most of them have us as their only P5 offer, which is not a good sign. I'm ok taking flyers on a few HS guys that are raw and show promise, though we can't hang our hats on a majority class of "diamonds in the rough".

The portal is where we are going to have to make an impact if we can't get high level HS recruits. We seem to have done that this year.

Offer lists are one indicator, but not the only one. If Gordon / Omapariola pan out, and these are two absolute stud athletes on the DL, than it doesn't matter what their offer lists are. I invite anyone to watch game film of these two and weigh back in on whether they are subpar recruits.

The HS group isn't nearly as bad as some are suggesting, by several orders of magnitude.

I think you're pretty off the mark with this one. Dino's staff has kept NYC at arms length just about his entire tenure. There's a lot of disgruntlement from alums and former players in NYC on the unwillingness to put the time and effort in to build relationships. We have some nice looking prospects coming in this year. Jalil Smith and ZMG are nice adds, but there is A LOT of work to be done down there.

My understanding is that Wayne as well as a few other former players from NYC have offered to help build relations for several years now with little willingness to partner.
Alvin Cornelius and I believe John Kinder come to mind

So Morgan has no expectations of a bag on his end? Everything he wants to offer is for free and only to benefit the program he was once a part of? It's all on the up and up? Because I am skeptical if so. Again he isn't just saying I can help you with a player who may have family connections, he is saying basically I can steer the big guys your way who play down here. So what does he want in return? It has to be something. Nothing is free. Again if Morgan was himself a coach at Erasmus this is likely a different discussion but he isn't a coach.

this whole "ohhh, this is our worst class ever, ohhhh look at the rankings". Our ranking is low because we have a small high school class. we have two kids who haven't been rated yet but the average ranking for our guys is one point lower than teams in the top 35. Let's think about how stupid and arbitrary both 2-4-7 and Rivls are, one freaking point, so a developmental 3 star at 84 vs a developmental 3 star at 85. oh no, what are we going to do???!! once again, like most programs we are developmental, we have developed defense the last several years, we have not developed offense, THAT is why this program in its current form has not done well overall. We have done well in the portal thus far and will hopefully go get a TE, maybe another OL, a RB, a TE.

He is talking about HS recruiting, and the fact that you have to point to the transfers helps prove his point.

Look at the offers for this HS class and it is very weak. Most of them have us as their only P5 offer, which is not a good sign. I'm ok taking flyers on a few HS guys that are raw and show promise, though we can't hang our hats on a majority class of "diamonds in the rough".

The portal is where we are going to have to make an impact if we can't get high level HS recruits. We seem to have done that this year.
Again, posters would benefit from reframing the concept of “recruiting”. It no longer entails just high school or JUCO recruits. The portal is a potential game changer for programs like Syracuse.

We are now able to grab players that would most likely have never committed to SU out of HS, and offer immediate and impactful playing time.

Yes, we can also lose players, but we can immediately replace them with player that are physically ready to play, unlike most HS recruits (case in point Bellamy and Gould).

We would be wise to really hit this hard every year if possible.

Again, posters would benefit from reframing the concept of “recruiting”. It no longer entails just high school or JUCO recruits. The portal is a potential game changer for programs like Syracuse.

We are now able to grab players that would most likely have never committed to SU out of HS, and offer immediate and impactful playing time.

Yes, we can also lose players, but we can immediately replace them with player that are physically ready to play, unlike most HS recruits (case in point Bellamy and Gould).

We would be wise to really hit this hard every year if possible.
I see where you are coming from with regards to combining everything, though for me I see them as separate types of recruiting and keep them separate in my thinking.

The last part of my post regarding the portal was alluding to this, though you articulated it perfectly. The portal is huge for us, and where we need to make an impact every year.