The All Inclusive NY State Recruiting Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

The All Inclusive NY State Recruiting Thread

He posted something on Twitter not too long ago that wasn't very inspiring for Syracuse - he is begging to help out the program, doesn't seem like the effort on our end is there?

https://mobile.twitter.com/LightsOutMorgan/status/1606321372829028352
This is everything you need to know about SU recruiting in NYC all rolled into one Tweet.

There have been a number of good players that had interest in SU and never heard a word from the program. Can't keep grabbing developmental kids from other states while ignoring your own and expect any of the coaches and influencers down there to push the big time recruits your way.

If people really think the staff are ignoring people with juice on the ground that can help in recruiting then they need to have their heads examined.

I’m sure there is a valid reason why.
I think you're pretty off the mark with this one. Dino's staff has kept NYC at arms length just about his entire tenure. There's a lot of disgruntlement from alums and former players in NYC on the unwillingness to put the time and effort in to build relationships. We have some nice looking prospects coming in this year. Jalil Smith and ZMG are nice adds, but there is A LOT of work to be done down there.

My understanding is that Wayne as well as a few other former players from NYC have offered to help build relations for several years now with little willingness to partner.

So how would engaging those relationships work? Genuinely asking. Is he a coach at Erasmus? Is he a trainer? What’s he actually do? Like there are former Syracuse players who are coaches in high school. I can see how working those relationships make sense.
Exactly. U reach out to our alumni. People like bears pops is tied into southern Florida football like u wouldn’t believe. I can’t listen too the snow excuse cause minn and Wisconsin don’t have much trouble. We need every single contact and we need to use them. I get us in top 40 recruiting but this in the 60’s has to end.

Incredibly dumb, misinformed post / take.
This is the worst recruiting class we've had on paper of Dinos tenure, but ok. We need all the help we can get. To ignore someone like Wayne Morgan is incredibly dumb.

Did you ever sit and ask yourself if there could possibly be another side to the story? I really already know the answer.
exactly, I will say we should always ask for help, however I see the NYC recruits as a mixed bag and the staff is extremely selective of who they will take. Not every 3-star or even 4 star is a fit and we shouldn’t take every kid who is supposedly has p5 talent because we are the instate school. Staff knows what they are doing and I also think our recruiting will be shifting more to portal each season.

This is the worst recruiting class we've had on paper of Dinos tenure, but ok. We need all the help we can get. To ignore someone like Wayne Morgan is incredibly dumb.

Your assessment of both the recruiting class and the players we flipped via the portal is wrong. That's what's dumb.

Jaeden Gould had COMMITABLE offers from Alabama, USC, Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Clemson Florida State, Texas -- to go along with dozens of offers from programs like Tennessee, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, A&M, Florida, and on and on. Let that list sink in before you keep reading.

Jayden Bellamy had offers from Notre Dame, Clemson, Penn State, Ohio State, LSU, and Michigan -- to go along with dozens of offers from the likes of Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Nebraska, etc.

Braylen Ingraham -- the DL portal transfer -- had committable offers out of high school from Alabama [where he ended up], Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, Clemson, and Texas to go along with Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma, Florida State, Wisconsin, and many others.

If we'd landed any ONE of these players out of HS, the entire fanbase would be doing back handsprings down Marshall Street. We landed all three as portal transfers, but you want to focus on one we flipped from ODU as being indicative of the class being poor.

It's not. We have several players who were unrated, including a late flip DE who is going to be an absolute monster. And the aforementioned transfers -- who comprise a significant portion of the class -- aren't factored into the class rating by at least one prominent recruiting service that people often point to.

THOSE are the reasons why this looks like the lowest rated class of Dino's tenure on paper, when in actuality it is a solid class.

exactly, I will say we should always ask for help, however I see the NYC recruits as a mixed bag and the staff is extremely selective of who they will take. Not every 3-star or even 4 star is a fit and we shouldn’t take every kid who is supposedly has p5 talent because we are the instate school. Staff knows what they are doing and I also think our recruiting will be shifting more to portal each season.
what I really think happens down there is we get big timed by the top talent who for me seems to flame out quite a bit at the bigger schools but many of the coaches down there want us to take the bordeline talent and the coaches at Syracuse probably say let’s get as many of these kids up to camp and for visits and will do our own homework and make our own evaluations on and off the field. Sounds crazy I know! They recruit the kids that fit

was much different with Marrone being from the Bronx and anselmo as well. At the end of the day you are probably going to take 4-5 NY a kids a year MAX

Last edited:
what I really think happens down there is we get big timed by the top talent who for me seems to flame out quite a bit at the bigger schools but many of the coaches down there want us to take the bordeline talent and the coaches at Syracuse probably say let’s get as many of these kids up to camp and for visits and will do our own homework and make our own evaluations on and off the field. Sounds crazy I know! They recruit the kids that fit

was much different with Marrone being from the Bronx and anselmo as well. At the end of the day you are probably going to take 4-5 NY a kids a year MAX
The only things that are going to drive 4-5 star NYC players to Syracuse outside of unicorns like Wayne Morgan are exposure, flash and $$. And without us being consistently ranked and nationally covered we’re lacking all 3.

And even with Morgan, he was the result of years of effort by Marrone’s staff with multiple staff members canvassing NYC. Even with that, they still lost out on far more 4/5 star prospects down there then they landed.

The NYC football scene isn’t too different from the basketball world. “Advisors” get attached to these kids and steer kids where it’s most beneficial for them. There’s a reason that Cuse coaches have either stayed away or have been unable to close the deal on a lot of big time recruits out of the city. I presume NIL will change some things and there may be more mutual interest.

Your assessment of both the recruiting class and the players we flipped via the portal is wrong. That's what's dumb.

Jaeden Gould had COMMITABLE offers from Alabama, USC, Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Clemson Florida State, Texas -- to go along with dozens of offers from programs like Tennessee, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, A&M, Florida, and on and on. Let that list sink in before you keep reading.

Jayden Bellamy had offers from Notre Dame, Clemson, Penn State, Ohio State, LSU, and Michigan -- to go along with dozens of offers from the likes of Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Nebraska, etc.

Braylen Ingraham -- the DL portal transfer -- had committable offers out of high school from Alabama [where he ended up], Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, Clemson, and Texas to go along with Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma, Florida State, Wisconsin, and many others.

If we'd landed any ONE of these players out of HS, the entire fanbase would be doing back handsprings down Marshall Street. We landed all three as portal transfers, but you want to focus on one we flipped from ODU as being indicative of the class being poor.

It's not. We have several players who were unrated, including a late flip DE who is going to be an absolute monster. And the aforementioned transfers -- who comprise a significant portion of the class -- aren't factored into the class rating by at least one prominent recruiting service that people often point to.

THOSE are the reasons why this looks like the lowest rated class of Dino's tenure on paper, when in actuality it is a solid class.
Everyone else uses the portal too. Carter is likely going to Ohio State. Ingraham was medically DQ'd from Alabama, so he's a complete unknown. Bellamy and Gould are good gets for sure, but the "class looks low because of the portal" is BS. AGAIN, other schools are using the portal too. We're still like 70th in recruiting and only have ONE guy in the top 1000.

Did you ever sit and ask yourself if there could possibly be another side to the story? I really already know the answer.
With the way the results have been with recruiting and winning, I honestly don't care what the other side of the story is. This is business. Win.

The NYC football scene isn’t too different from the basketball world. “Advisors” get attached to these kids and steer kids where it’s most beneficial for them. There’s a reason that Cuse coaches have either stayed away or have been unable to close the deal on a lot of big time recruits out of the city. I presume NIL will change some things and there may be more mutual interest.

yep, maybe more to the story!

Reactions: CIL
And even with Morgan, he was the result of years of effort by Marrone’s staff with multiple staff members canvassing NYC. Even with that, they still lost out on far more 4/5 star prospects down there then they landed.
This. If memory serves, and I could be wrong as I know nothing about recruiting, Marrone and team spent a lot of time and energy which resulted in predominantly landing good, not great, players out of NYC. The top five players yearly still went to Notre Dame, Michigan, Clemson etc.

I think there needs to be a focus on NY and NJ as well but not at the expense of better players from other regions- wherever they come from. Personal opinion, the staff has done a great job this year in landing players from NY/NJ who have the potential to be multi-year high level starters. Plus they are keeping other NYS talent home (Perry, Jobity). Which is what we should want. And this is clearly a point of emphasis moving forward...

I am happy with the guys we got in the portal, but just because kids had crazy offers out of high school I would love to see what they had in the portal. Not one of these guys played a meaningful snap this past year, Braylen did not play a meaningful snap in his entire career at Alabama. I hope they are all superstars, but we have to be honest about what we got.

Well we finally have a few from Bergan Catholic who recently committed through the portal. There's a reason why and the coaches finally listened. Lets see if this continues.

I know this isn't the place to discuss, but the athletics department, mainly football, needs support. Fundraising is worse than they let on. They need an influx of capital to keep the athletics alive and well, not to mention they need to keep the new Lally Center additions moving ahead. I'm hearing they are going to be postponed due to lack of funding. The dome renovations are not from the athletics fund either.

So Morgan’s approach to helping is to try and publicly shame the school he played for? How is that helping, if that’s what he really wants to do? I don’t see how that approach will help lead any recruit to Syracuse.

He is talking about HS recruiting, and the fact that you have to point to the transfers helps prove his point.

Look at the offers for this HS class and it is very weak. Most of them have us as their only P5 offer, which is not a good sign. I'm ok taking flyers on a few HS guys that are raw and show promise, though we can't hang our hats on a majority class of "diamonds in the rough".

The portal is where we are going to have to make an impact if we can't get high level HS recruits. We seem to have done that this year.

See above -- the results are far better than you portray. But kudos for wearing a sandwich board.
Because we got 3 transfers that have never played and bunch of kids ranked 1,000 or worse? Take a look at guys other P5 schools are getting in the portal. We are not the same. Just because you've arbitrarily decided our results are somehow better, means nothing.

This. If memory serves, and I could be wrong as I know nothing about recruiting, Marrone and team spent a lot of time and energy which resulted in predominantly landing good, not great, players out of NYC. The top five players yearly still went to Notre Dame, Michigan, Clemson etc.

I think there needs to be a focus on NY and NJ as well but not at the expense of better players from other regions- wherever they come from. Personal opinion, the staff has done a great job this year in landing players from NY/NJ who have the potential to be multi-year high level starters. Plus they are keeping other NYS talent home (Perry, Jobity). Which is what we should want. And this is clearly a point of emphasis moving forward...
NJ is far more lucrative than NYC has been or ever been. I love the development there. It’s been years since we’ve landed recruits of this profile out of feeder schools like Camden and Bergen Catholic.

Because we got 3 transfers that have never played and bunch of kids ranked 1,000 or worse? Take a look at guys other P5 schools are getting in the portal. We are not the same. Just because you've arbitrarily decided they're better, means nothing.
If you think NYC is the answer to that, then I have a bridge there to sell you. You can cross it daily on your treks to talk to Wayne Morgan.