The All Inclusive NY State Recruiting Thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The All Inclusive NY State Recruiting Thread

Back in the day SU used to have deals with schools in the area. I don't remember all the details. I know they'd bring in teams for games.

Agree with money on this.

What I will say is this:

I think all the big schools are aware of NYC and monitor players there pretty closely. If that area produces a good player, they are going to get routed to one of the big schools and get a lot of attention and scholarship offers. That area might actually be over recruited these days.

At one point, I thought players on LI were over hyped and were getting undeserved offers (compared to similar players in upstate NY). I think those days are over. If you on on LI, it is now like you are in upstate NY. Or Canada. Or Bosnia.

Only a handful of schools recruit upstate NY seriously. Pitt does a good job. If there is a good player here, Penn State will go after them. Rutgers and UConn evaluate upstate some.

Not much else. The schools named will go after blue chips from upstate but for players that are solid 3 star level, I think a lot of them end up at schools like UB, or Temple or UMass.

To make things even tougher for upstate kids, I think Dino is reluctant to recruit players from upstate unless he is convinced they are good enough to be really good players at Syracuse. He doesn't want to take a guy that is a border line prospect, presumably because he doesn't want a lot of questions about why an upstate NY favorite son is not on the two deep, etc. If Syracuse doesn't recruit a player from upstate, a lot of other programs won't either.

Hope Jobity works out. Might help convince Dino kids from this area can play ball and help the program. Don't get me wrong. I don't think upstate NY should provide us with 30% of the roster. But there are 10 P5 level kids a year that come out of NYS and I hope we can get to a point where we land 50% of them.
BC always got some very good players out of CBA in particular. Sirvocea Dennis, local CBA grad, is currently a starting linebacker for Pitt.

I really believe this new focus on recruiting New York players is going to pay big dividends for Dino and the Orange. Dino has lived in New York long enough to be a naturalized upstate New Yorker and it seems like he is embracing it and sees the talent out there and is stimulate its development. Being the head coach for Syracuse football, he can have a huge impact on high school football across the state.

I really believe this new focus on recruiting New York players is going to pay big dividends for Dino and the Orange. Dino has lived in New York long enough to be a naturalized upstate New Yorker and it seems like he is embracing it and sees the talent out there and is stimulate its development. Being the head coach for Syracuse football, he can have a huge impact on high school football across the state.
Agree. There will be some good prospects in the state the next few years. We have to get the best ones. We also can't be afraid to grab some with upside like Jobity.

Hopefully this brings HS football more life in upstate too. Will definitely be a plus for local school kids to see players they know from their neighborhoods playing in the dome. Think this could really help the sport in an area that has talented athletes.

Ethan Haust from Baldwinsville committed to Merrimack last month, he’s only played football since the spring good pickup for them.

He was highly recruited out of Erasmus Hall and a lot of people offered him, including Syracuse. I believe he was named to the All American Bowl. Did very little in two years at ASU and was actually moved to DL for their bowl game due to a rash of injuries at DL.

He has a little brother Aaris who is a DL in the class of 2024 who I have in the top 5 players in NYS in that class. He is a national recruit. Whoever gets Armon will be well positioned to also get Aaris.

Guessing Syracuse will go after him. Sounds like we have at least one spot open (might depend on what Vet does).

The timing of this, with SU about to play in NYC in the Pinstripe, might help SU. Erasmus Hall is about 10 miles from Yankee Stadium as the crow files. I wonder if the Bethea brothers will be in attendance at the game, rooting for Syracuse?

Erasmus Hall is one of the top HS programs in the state. It produces arguably more P5 players that any other program in New York. That includes Caden Brown, another DL in the class of 2024 we want badly.

Let’s hope this opens the pipeline and gets the best athletes in NYC playing for the best program in the area. Where they belong.
I was hoping Wayne Morgan would have been the start of a pipeline but alas it didn’t happen.

Believe his HS coach pushes Rutgers, plus rutgers has a lot of time on their hands now with no bowl game
Rutgers crushes it at Erasmus.

I won't say there is a shady relationship between the HC there and Schiano, but what the heck, I am saying in my eyes there is

Sounds like someone pushing a little too hard, I could be ignorant but was he offering to help at all over the last 6+ years?

I don't see it as pushing too hard. Syracuse needs to establish the PSAL pipeline. Those are the kids from NY you want. If even they don't commit, you need to make some headway into NYC. You don't turn down help especially if it's a former player reaching out.

I don't see it as pushing too hard. Syracuse needs to establish the PSAL pipeline. Those are the kids from NY you want. If even they don't commit, you need to make some headway into NYC. You don't turn down help especially if it's a former player reaching out.
I guess I’m just curious why they wouldn’t take his help, especially if he has been offering for years.

From first hand accounts. SU coaches have swayed away from NY recruits. Hopefully they smarten up.

From first hand accounts. SU coaches have swayed away from NY recruits. Hopefully they smarten up.
4 NY kids signed in this class. Numerous others offered in this and future classes.

1672106051999.gif

4 NY kids signed in this class. Numerous others offered in this and future classes.

View attachment 223658
I think what has been alluded to, in the past, was that the time, effort, and energy needed to recruit NYC kids wasn't worth the pay off. That the top kids want to go to the big programs and the coaches and staffs at those city schools would rather you take on a kid who most likely wasn't a D1 prospect, while being a hurdle for our program to land legit prospects.

It's been alluded to that our program, especially in the 2000s, faced a lot of negative perception from coaches in the city.

It's also been alluded that some coaches and handlers expect something for their help in landing a prospect

Well as I have said before and I will say again, any head d1 football coach that doesn’t except help from locals or alumni in a place that we could use help has a massive ego they need to get the f c k over. I will never get it. Like McKinley’s pops in florida, or our guy in n Carolina. Now Wayne Morgan in nyc. I mean really. As a coach I would take every chance or turn every stone I could. Let’s hope they will someday learn. W t f

Well as I have said before and I will say again, any head d1 football coach that doesn’t except help from locals or alumni in a place that we could use help has a massive ego they need to get the f c k over. I will never get it. Like McKinley’s pops in florida, or our guy in n Carolina. Now Wayne Morgan in nyc. I mean really. As a coach I would take every chance or turn every stone I could. Let’s hope they will someday learn. W t f
Exactly what I mean.

Don't you know we flipped a guy from ODU on signing day?! We're killing it. Nevermind the fact we have exactly 1 high school recruit in the top 1000 in the country this cycle. They're all diamonds in the rough.

So how would engaging those relationships work? Genuinely asking. Is he a coach at Erasmus? Is he a trainer? What’s he actually do? Like there are former Syracuse players who are coaches in high school. I can see how working those relationships make sense.

So how would engaging those relationships work? Genuinely asking. Is he a coach at Erasmus? Is he a trainer? What’s he actually do? Like there are former Syracuse players who are coaches in high school. I can see how working those relationships make sense.
If people really think the staff are ignoring people with juice on the ground that can help in recruiting then they need to have their heads examined.

I’m sure there is a valid reason why.