The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 422 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

He signed financial aid papers. That takes the place of the NLI and he already cleared the NCAA
How did he already clear the NCAA if he just completed some online courses?
And financial aid is often given to PWOs not scholarship players.

How did he already clear the NCAA if he just completed some online courses?
And financial aid is often given to PWOs not scholarship players.
I don’t know. Schiano is manipulating the rules to his advantage as he does

I don’t know. Schiano is manipulating the rules to his advantage as he does
Yes. Definitely. Since the kid didn't sign an NLI and has no athletic scholarship I don't believe he counts towards the 2021 recruiting class. Not something most HS kids, or their parents, would probably buy into.

Yes. Definitely. Since the kid didn't sign an NLI and has no athletic scholarship I don't believe he counts towards the 2021 recruiting class. Not something most HS kids, or their parents, would probably buy into.
He signed a big NIL deal, so that should more than offset the first year before his scholarship kicks in.

He signed a big NIL deal, so that should more than offset the first year before his scholarship kicks in.

Yeah, I’d imagine he’s like a super PWO for now, roster-wise.

And as an in-state student, SUNJ is not super spendy.

And as you said - the NIL $ will more than offset the short-term costs for this one semester.

Yeah, I’d imagine he’s like a super PWO for now, roster-wise.

And as an in-state student, SUNJ is not super spendy.

And as you said - the NIL $ will more than offset the short-term costs for this one semester.
Rutgers is one of the most expensive state schools for in-state. I believe they are over $15k tuition (plus room and board).

So what's he going to be, a walk-on. The NCAA has certain set signing periods to sign an NLI and receive an athletic scholarship.
He has a scholarship for the 2021 class and will reportedly sign a six digit NIL
How big that deal is, is unknown

He has a scholarship for the 2021 class and will reportedly sign a six digit NIL
How big that deal is, is unknown
He has a financial aid package, he doesn't have an athletic scholarship. Why, because He never signed an NLI, the last date to sign for the 2021 recruiting class was 8/1/21. He probably hasn't cleared the NCAA Eligibility Center as they require all his grades, which would include the online courses he supposedly just completed. The NCAA doesn't move that quickly. Until a student athlete is cleared by the NCAA they can't receive an athletic scholarship and now he's past the signing date for the 2021 class.

He has a financial aid package, he doesn't have an athletic scholarship. Why, because He never signed an NLI, the last date to sign for the 2021 recruiting class was 8/1/21. He probably hasn't cleared the NCAA Eligibility Center as they require all his grades, which would include the online courses he supposedly just completed. The NCAA doesn't move that quickly. Until a student athlete is cleared by the NCAA they can't receive an athletic scholarship and now he's past the signing date for the 2021 class.

Spot on. And as I mentioned earlier how did he get through the eligibility center and compliance already. He probably didn’t. maybe he’s entering as a regular student and paying his own way this semester? Out of state tuition room and board is between 40-50k.

Spot on. And as I mentioned earlier how did he get through the eligibility center and compliance already. He probably didn’t. maybe he’s entering as a regular student and paying his own way this semester? Out of state tuition room and board is between 40-50k.
This is one of the things I worried about with the way NIL was implemented, but I freely admit that I'm not very knowledgeable about the NCAA scholarship and eligibility process, so maybe I'm off base and my concerns are unwarranted.

But anyway, what would stop a program from using NIL to circumvent the entire 85 scholarship limit/25 class limit by using prearranged NIL endorsements to offset cost of attendance? Basically making some incoming players walk-ons with NIL deals that more than cover their attendance costs. Do walk-ons still have to go through the clearinghouse for grades/coursework?

I never really thought about this specific scenario as it may be playing out at Rutgers right now, in the sense of bringing in a HS senior in September, but I was thinking that Alabama/Georgia/etc may take classes of 35 by making some of them walk-ons with NIL endorsements. If those players aren't on scholarship, then what oversight does the NCAA have over those players beyond their 5 year eligibility?

This is one of the things I worried about with the way NIL was implemented, but I freely admit that I'm not very knowledgeable about the NCAA scholarship and eligibility process, so maybe I'm off base and my concerns are unwarranted.

But anyway, what would stop a program from using NIL to circumvent the entire 85 scholarship limit/25 class limit by using prearranged NIL endorsements to offset cost of attendance? Basically making some incoming players walk-ons with NIL deals that more than cover their attendance costs. Do walk-ons still have to go through the clearinghouse for grades/coursework?

I never really thought about this specific scenario as it may be playing out at Rutgers right now, in the sense of bringing in a HS senior in September, but I was thinking that Alabama/Georgia/etc may take classes of 35 by making some of them walk-ons with NIL endorsements. If those players aren't on scholarship, then what oversight does the NCAA have over those players beyond their 5 year eligibility?
BYU did this and it raised eyebrows ... walkons were given enough NIL to essentially be a scholarship.

Walkons and/or kids not receiving athletic scholarship money do not have to go through NCAA compliance so this is probably their loophole except he'd have to pay tuition - minus 'merit' and financial aid of course.

Scholarship kids (not sure about D3 athletes) definitely have to register with the NCAA and get an eligibility ID. This clearance process can take a while though as schools need to submit final HS transcripts to the NCAA. (This kid does he even have a final HS transcript yet?) ...

The NIL money is fine and dandy to use on tuition but they're going to have to pay taxes on it and for walkons getting need based aid, it'll eventually show up as income. Hope they don't spend it all in one place.

Last edited:
Rutgers Football history:

F1D80C3C-8F8B-496A-A775-E3595E37C407.gif

So honest question, please don’t bite my head off. Do a majority of you really see Rutgers as a rival? I assume so based on this thread, but to me I kind of nothing them. Obviously want to smoke them but not anymore than conference opponents.

I know regional recruiting matters, but doesn’t seem to be that impactful for this current cuse staff. I would rate it a 4/10 on rivalry scale. Way behind BC, WVU, Pitt. Even wake at this point. Thoughts?

So honest question, please don’t bite my head off. Do a majority of you really see Rutgers as a rival? I assume so based on this thread, but to me I kind of nothing them. Obviously want to smoke them but not anymore than conference opponents.

I know regional recruiting matters, but doesn’t seem to be that impactful for this current cuse staff. I would rate it a 4/10 on rivalry scale. Way behind BC, WVU, Pitt. Even wake at this point. Thoughts?
To me it isn’t Rutgers but rather Schiano. I had this conversation a few days ago with someone. I honestly don’t care one way or another about RU but my dislike for Schiano is really high.

Edit: and many but not all of the RU fans are just annoying.

To me it isn’t Rutgers but rather Schiano. I had this conversation a few days ago with someone. I honestly don’t care one way or another about RU but my dislike for Schiano is really high.
Great response thanks for the insight!

I was really hoping to see some more banter this week from RU fans on our board. I check their board daily too, hasn't been much.