The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 353 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Back when I was working, younger people would sometimes ask me if they should consider taking or pursuing a particular job inside the Corporation.

I told them that the key thing they had to concern themself with was the “achievability of the task”. Can this task be done? And what happens to you if you fail?

Paterno counseled Shady against taking the job because he viewed Rutgers as the burial ground of coaching careers with a lot of evidence to support his argument. Just look at what taking a Rutgers job has done to the careers of football, basketball and lacrosse coaches in the past ten years.

The Rutgers job is extremely high risk. The odds against succeeding are high.

Anyone who takes the job either has to be desperate or money hungry or mired on the staff of another school with little opportunity to move up.

If Schiano takes it it’s because he has no other options.

Right now, Rutgers and it’s fans are saying, “Just get us to respectability.”

But as a one time resident of New Jersey, I can guarantee you that won’t be enough. The Metro area outside of the small core of Rutgers fans will only support big winners.

Who would take the RU job if they really believed they wouldn’t be judged successful unless they got to the Rose Bowl? There are too many other Head Coaching jobs with much easier tasks.

Who would take the RU job if they really believed they wouldn’t be judged successful unless they got to the Rose Bowl? There are too many other Head Coaching jobs with much easier tasks.

I don't think anyone who takes the job is going to be worried about how the delusional "fan base" judges them.

They're going to worry about how all the other Athletic Directors would judge them. If I can get this hot mess to a bowl game, or at least stop the bleeding of 50-0 conference beat downs, I can get a better job.

Of course, if you can't stop that bleeding, you're head coaching days are probably over forever.

Someone will take the risk. But likely someone trying to rebuild a reputation, not someone trying to initially build it.

I don't think anyone who takes the job is going to be worried about how the delusional "fan base" judges them.

They're going to worry about how all the other Athletic Directors would judge them. If I can get this hot mess to a bowl game, or at least stop the bleeding of 50-0 conference beat downs, I can get a better job.

Of course, if you can't stop that bleeding, you're head coaching days are probably over forever.

Someone will take the risk. But likely someone trying to rebuild a reputation, not someone trying to initially build it.

Other ADs don’t exist in a vacuum. They face all sorts of pressures from the Administration of their schools, boosters, the press, the fan base.

I can’t imagine one saying, “we are going to hire the Rutgers coach because he took them from 1-11 to 6-6 and that’s as good as taking a 6-6 program to 10-2.”

“Fewer 50-0 beat downs” isn’t much of a marketing message.

And I think that anyone who takes the RU job and does well has GOT to cut some corners. So there’s that risk that could be a career-killer.

Then you have the NJ and NY press factor and a population of the State that doesn’t care about RU football (which is just about everyone in the State.)

If they bring in a coach with a record of failure hoping to rebuild his career, the Press will scream. If they bring in an up and coming coach with a huge compensation package, the Press will scream and the taxpayers, who don’t care about RU or RU football, will be outraged. Politicians will jump on this like “a duck on a June bug”, as they say in Texas.

That leaves Shiano and lots of unknown P5 Assistants and some HCs from FCS teams for whom this would be a significant step up such that they are willing to take the huge risk.

And just for completeness, here is the complete list of Rutgirls NFL Hall of Famers:

*** end of list ***

Somehow, football powerhouses Holy Cross, Kutztown, Regis College and NYU have more.

I don't think an up and comer takes the job. Too much downside risk. An established guy, with millions stashed away already, who doesnt have many opportunities is going to get the nod. They'll ensure they get 5 yr guarantee at like 4M a year, and that 20M contract will be there retirement parachute when they get fired in year 4 after 8-10 total wins.

I don't think an up and comer takes the job. Too much downside risk. An established guy, with millions stashed away already, who doesnt have many opportunities is going to get the nod. They'll ensure they get 5 yr guarantee at like 4M a year, and that 20M contract will be there retirement parachute when they get fired in year 4 after 8-10 total wins.
Two current coaches who might make the girls better are Joe M and The Meat Head Dazzler.

I thought: that's awesome, I wonder what they're saying about it?

"Russo, QB at Temple, and Devito, QB at Syracuse and Flacco, QB at Towson all wanted to be at Rutgers now ... but they weren't good enough"

That's enough internet for the day.

So, now they've convinced themselves that Devito wanted to be at Rutgers? LMAO. Not a chance.

taken from the ru board "2nd hand word from Archbishop Wood Catholic is that Blackshear is done at RU and will look for a hardship transfer to play in 2020."

taken from the ru board "2nd hand word from Archbishop Wood Catholic is that Blackshear is done at RU and will look for a hardship transfer to play in 2020."
It's going to be interesting what happens with that team over the next few months. I could see a lot of guys transferring away from that disaster if they don't hit a home run with the next hire.

but he wouldn't be able to do his "We're 3-0, we're 3-0" speech because Rutgers will never be 3-0
Now hold on - if Schiano comes back, he will instantly insist on cancelling all existing OOC games against teams with a pulse. Every season will start with bottom tier MAC, bottom tier Sunbelt, bottom tier FCS team. That’s how you ‘chop wood’ Schiano style.

Best part is seeing all the RutgersAl threads with videos of Schiano...from early 2005. And then his thread of a Schiano tweet from June 2018, trying to persuade folks that it means Schiano is coming back. lmao