The Athletic - Cuse Football... | Syracusefan.com

The Athletic - Cuse Football...

A good read. Syracuse is a tough place to recruit to.

How does Syracuse’s recruiting budget compare to the other ACC schools?
Bet its competitive with all except FSU, Clemson, Miami and UNC

I know which opinion holds more weight with me. Especially when it comes to football.

Yeah I think it's going to be hard for Shrader to unseat TD as disappointing as that may be to some here.

The comments about the scheme being predictable now concern me. I get that from a casual fan perspective our playcalling isn't great, but it seems to me that it's partly because we haven't been able to run our bread and butter plays effectively to open up the rest of playbook.

Any of our coach posters here have any insight on that?

Yeah I think it's going to be hard for Shrader to unseat TD as disappointing as that may be to some here.

The comments about the scheme being predictable now concern me. I get that from a casual fan perspective our playcalling isn't great, but it seems to me that it's partly because we haven't been able to run our bread and butter plays effectively to open up the rest of playbook.

I have no insight or knowledge.

But I've been concerned for a while that there may be something fundamentally broken about our running game.

I anticipate that Dino proves me wrong this season.

TD may start but if he does not move the ball he’s gone immediately.

I have no insight or knowledge.

But I've been concerned for a while that there may be something fundamentally broken about our running game.

I anticipate that Dino proves me wrong this season.

Yeah we've talked a lot about how our pass protection is awful but the running game hasn't been much better.

I mentioned this in another thread, the last 3 games of 2019 we ran for 200+ yards in each game I believe. That gives me a bit of hope that the scheme still works when we have good enough personnel. And Schmidt's speciality seems to be coaching up run blocking, so I think at worse we're going to run the ball better this year and be serviceable in the passing game.

There is not another dungey but shrader is a lot closer to dungey then TD ever will be.
We havent seen him take a snap with our offense yet. We’ll only be able to tell then. He’ll get play vs Ohio probably a lot like Tommy’s debut vs WMU hopefully (meaning we’re up when he comes in)

For football it's Bailey > Gut. Matt is a good basketball writer but he needs work on football side.

I can see how the scheme is predictable but the scheme is supposed to be designed for that not to matter. It is supposed to be able to take whatever the defense gives them regardless of what they anticipate. The defense can't cover everything if the offense executes correctly. Whether it's been poor oline play, bad presnap reads, or incorrect post snap reads, we just haven't executed. That needs to change, and it can't happen in week 5, it needs to be week one. This pattern of coming together halfway or later in the season and promising hope for next year needs to end.

I can see how the scheme is predictable but the scheme is supposed to be designed for that not to matter. It is supposed to be able to take whatever the defense gives them regardless of what they anticipate. The defense can't cover everything if the offense executes correctly. Whether it's been poor oline play, bad presnap reads, or incorrect post snap reads, we just haven't executed. That needs to change, and it can't happen in week 5, it needs to be week one. This pattern of coming together halfway or later in the season and promising hope for next year needs to end.

Yeah I agree, it starts with the power running game. With light boxes we need to churn out 4-5 yards every carry.

Yeah I agree, it starts with the power running game. With light boxes we need to churn out 4-5 yards every carry.
Yeah. We just haven't been able to make teams pay for having those light boxes which has allowed them to flood the secondary with defenders. They've tried to give us stuff and we haven't done a good job of taking it.

Last edited:
Shrader IMO gives us the best chance to make a Bowl. But he doesn’t know the O and Dino would need to be willing to wing it a bit. So I expect TD to start. IMO the season will go like this:

Ohio - I think the O will look ok and we win the game

Rutgers - Schiano blitzes the crap out of us and the O turtles up. Shrader comes on and moves the ball in garbage time and half the board wants him to start.

Albany - the season rides on this game. Not in terms of W or L but who starts. If Dino starts Shrader to get him ready for the rest of the season, we will have a shot at making a Bowl. If he is stubborn and uses the game to play TD in hopes of working out kinks and doesn’t bring Shrader on until late 4th Q, the season is over and maybe Dino’s job as well. We are I’ll be 2-1 either way.

I hate that we’re on the road vs one of the MAC’s most energetic programs in week 1. Hate it.

The O is stale. Its not anything special anymore. As Dino says Green and growing Red and rotten. Hope he is changing things up this year.
That was why I was hoping that Dino was going to bring in someone with a different offensive philosophy when he hired Gilbert. That way he could have blended concepts of both styles. However he clearly wanted to stick with the same offense.