The Athletic - Cuse Football... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Athletic - Cuse Football...

What you should hate is that you are worried about a mac team at this stage in the program.
Don’t even get me started about the list of things I’m worried about that I absolutely should not be going into the 6th year of an extended ACC coach’s tenure at a school who’s increasingly willing to shell out more money.

I am not thrilled to be worried about a game at Athens Ohio, and chalking Up Liberty AT HOME as a potential loss.

Don’t even get me started about the list of things I’m worried about that I absolutely should not be going into the 6th year of an extended ACC coach’s tenure at a school who’s increasingly willing to shell out more money.

I am not thrilled to be worried about a game at Athens Ohio, and chalking Up Liberty AT HOME as a potential loss.
I wanted to give Dino a lifetime contract after the 10 win season. At this point i think that he is a great turn around guy but not a program builder. It not in his DNA. Dino was raised an Army brat. Moved a ton as a kid and didnt sit still until he landed at SU. To this day i truly believe he thought he was going West after the 10 win season but the cards didnt fall his way with UCLA and USC not working out as well as some other high profile west coast jobs. His connections are West not East with a sprinkling of the midwest. He doesnt recruit the east very well and if not for Swag we would be in very tough shape. His coaching decisions are basically to go with guys from his tree which is standard fare for most coaches but again there are no east coast ties. I dont think that he is a good x and o guy. Cant remember a game that we made half time adjustments and won. His skill is his personality and i believe that he is a great representative of SU and a solid leader of young men.. I dont think that he is a great coach which means he has to hire excellent assistants which so far he has not been able to do.
The School has given him everything he has asked for. In short JW and the administration has stepped up. He is in the ACC and has a national audiance as a result of the network. The schedule will never be better. In short i dont think that Dino is going to take us to the next level. I do however think that he can win between 5 and 7 games a year so JW is in a tough spot. I hope that he makes it as he seems to be a super guy.

I wanted to give Dino a lifetime contract after the 10 win season. At this point i think that he is a great turn around guy but not a program builder. It not in his DNA. Dino was raised an Army brat. Moved a ton as a kid and didnt sit still until he landed at SU. To this day i truly believe he thought he was going West after the 10 win season but the cards didnt fall his way with UCLA and USC not working out as well as some other high profile west coast jobs. His connections are West not East with a sprinkling of the midwest. He doesnt recruit the east very well and if not for Swag we would be in very tough shape. His coaching decisions are basically to go with guys from his tree which is standard fare for most coaches but again there are no east coast ties. I dont think that he is a good x and o guy. Cant remember a game that we made half time adjustments and won. His skill is his personality and i believe that he is a great representative of SU and a solid leader of young men.. I dont think that he is a great coach which means he has to hire excellent assistants which so far he has not been able to do.
The School has given him everything he has asked for. In short JW and the administration has stepped up. He is in the ACC and has a national audiance as a result of the network. The schedule will never be better. In short i dont think that Dino is going to take us to the next level. I do however think that he can win between 5 and 7 games a year so JW is in a tough spot. I hope that he makes it as he seems to be a super guy.
And contrary to what he thinks of himself, he is not very good at clock management.

And contrary to what he thinks of himself, he is not very good at clock management.
Just win 6-8 games, get wildhack to continue to back up the Brinks and attract more talented assistants and advisors. Dino’s the face of a program, not it’s foundation or mechanics

Just win 6-8 games, get wildhack to continue to back up the Brinks and attract more talented assistants and advisors. Dino’s the face of a program, not it’s foundation or mechanics

Perfectly said, Dino needs to get to bowl games every year now and ADJW needs to continue to invest to fill in any missing areas to help recruiting.

Perfectly said, Dino needs to get to bowl games every year now and ADJW needs to continue to invest to fill in any missing areas to help recruiting.
Get the alumni excited about their team again. Bet it was a cool feeling having Darius talk in Orlando at the Camping World Bowl. Go to bowls, make a consistently good product and the money/support is begging to be given a reason to come back imo.

Not sure Dino really hires from his coaching tree anymore. 5 of the last six hires were not from his coaching tree. Samuels did play for him but not coach. I’m still concerned about Gilbert and would have liked to go in another direction.
if Dino survives this season he may want to think about lynch and Reno ferri. Not sure either one have been able to deliver recruits. Could get a te/OL coach to help Schmidt and a young energetic rb coach.

I hope Dino does well because I don’t think SU can attract anyone better. It’s a tough place to recruit and every coach in America knows it. New York has an extremely limited talent pool and top NYC talent goes to either Penn State or Ohio State. There is not a single area in the state that we can say we have a strangle hold on in recruiting. There‘s no SU coaching tree that is knocking on the door to coach at SU. I can’t imagine starting all over again with a new coach. Do we have to give the next coach five years to bring in his players? This might be one of the most important seasons in SU football. This program can not handle starting all over again.

I hope Dino does well because I don’t think SU can attract anyone better. It’s a tough place to recruit and every coach in America knows it. New York has an extremely limited talent pool and top NYC talent goes to either Penn State or Ohio State. There is not a single area in the state that we can say we have a strangle hold on in recruiting. There‘s no SU coaching tree that is knocking on the door to coach at SU. I can’t imagine starting all over again with a new coach. Do we have to give the next coach five years to bring in his players? This might be one of the most important seasons in SU football. This program can not handle starting all over again.

At least we're in a better spot than when Marrone left. It was embarrassing that the school couldn't give him an IPF back then.

1624152675356.jpeg

Not sure Dino really hires from his coaching tree anymore. 5 of the last six hires were not from his coaching tree. Samuels did play for him but not coach. I’m still concerned about Gilbert and would have liked to go in another direction.
if Dino survives this season he may want to think about lynch and Reno ferri. Not sure either one have been able to deliver recruits. Could get a te/OL coach to help Schmidt and a young energetic rb coach.
Lynch should have gone at the same time ward was let go. His offense was as bad as the defense, probably worse.

Lynch should have gone at the same time ward was let go. His offense was as bad as the defense, probably worse.
Lynch is a position coach now. Why the desire to eject him when he’s no longer deciding offensive philosophy?

That was why I was hoping that Dino was going to bring in someone with a different offensive philosophy when he hired Gilbert. That way he could have blended concepts of both styles. However he clearly wanted to stick with the same offense.

What offense?

Once they took the speed aspect away, it's not even a high school offense.

The play calls are predictable, bordering on pathetic. Execution is even worse.

It's only the defense that has made the early parts of games watchable, until they inevitably tire and wear down as the offense keeps producing 3 and outs.

What offense?

Once they took the speed aspect away, it's not even a high school offense.

The play calls are predictable, bordering on pathetic. Execution is even worse.

It's only the defense that has made the early parts of games watchable, until they inevitably tire and wear down as the offense keeps producing 3 and outs.

You need a dozen or so plays you can run reasonably well and repeatedly to build off of. We couldn't even get there last season thus predictable and easily stopped.

Once we get base plays down we can run pace again and win some games. This summer needs to be back to basics on offense and we can build from there.

Who wants to step up and be an Ishmael, Phillips, Custis, Amba, etc that can consistently win 50:50 plays? Who wants to man up in the trenches and physically win matchups? It's not too difficult if a bit of confidence builds, we've got physically capable players. Big difference between the 10 win season and last season are guys playing scared/timid. We need some alpha's to step up and play angry.

You need a dozen or so plays you can run reasonably well and repeatedly to build off of. We couldn't even get there last season thus predictable and easily stopped.

Once we get base plays down we can run pace again and win some games. This summer needs to be back to basics on offense and we can build from there.

Who wants to step up and be an Ishmael, Phillips, Custis, Amba, etc that can consistently win 50:50 plays? Who wants to man up in the trenches and physically win matchups? It's not too difficult if a bit of confidence builds, we've got physically capable players. Big difference between the 10 win season and last season are guys playing scared/timid. We need some alpha's to step up and play angry.
And we need coaches who can coach guys up, develop talent. Game plan, call a game and make in game adjustments.

Hard to in game adjust when players can't complete simple plays. You could see it on the face of offense coaches last year, they knew whatever they tried would likely fail.

My biggest worry is that after that promising start to his tenure, and that great year with Dungey, that the culture of losing is going to be deep in this group. To hear coaches are at a loss is very disturbing. This is a make or break year, not just for Dino, but for the next 10 years of the program.

I just want to be competitive. The QB position is the great equalizer in college football. It was clear from his first season as starter that once teams game planned for him, DeVito was ineffective. OL play at SU has never been a consistent strong suit. Hence the QB needs to be able to make quick decisions and have some elusiveness. Hoping Shrader & Lamsom provide us with that QB play moving forward.

OL play at SU has never been a consistent strong suit. Hence the QB needs to be able to make quick decisions and have some elusiveness.

Well, not to be that guy, but our offensive line play was outstanding for almost 20 years under Mac and P/D, to say nothing of that old paratrooper guy who used to coach the team when I was a kid.

Syracuse used to play smash mouth football way before anybody called it that.

Never forget.

Well, not to be that guy, but our offensive line play was outstanding for almost 20 years under Mac and P/D, to say nothing of that old paratrooper guy who used to coach the team when I was a kid.

Never forget.

Smashmouth football was around way before then

My biggest worry is that after that promising start to his tenure, and that great year with Dungey, that the culture of losing is going to be deep in this group. To hear coaches are at a loss is very disturbing. This is a make or break year, not just for Dino, but for the next 10 years of the program.

Hopefully having full off-season to install, new oline coach and 3x as many healthy bodies on oline make the difference. It really should and we were not far off wins last year. 4 scoring drives per game and we're in at least 6 games

Never forget.
Most people have not forgotten that but that's a long time ago.

Never forget.
Under Mac, maybe. That’s before my time. But McNabb covered up for some very mediocre OL play during his years. If not for him, we are looking at close to .500 most years, IMO.