The Athletic - JB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Athletic - JB

The reason JB can do it better than other coaches is his system lends itself to slowing down the game. If you are a pressure man team it is hard to slow down the game you need a different defense.

The Zone forces the opponent to take time moving the zone so JB only has to slow down his offense and keep playing the zone.

Pressure teams that back off of the pressure give up shots quicker. That is not what you want with the lead.

It is the same reason he comes out of the Zone and presses when we are behind. To speed up the game and create more possessions.

Last edited:
I’ve only seen this strategy backfire once I think.

Unfortunately it was in the sweet 16 with one of the best SU teams I’ve ever seen in my life.

The last game against Va Tech we were up 8 with 3:50 left. I fully expected the slow down to start on that possession. Buddy launched a three 7 seconds into the shot clock.

It can be frustrating to take the air out of the ball but in that instance I wasn‘t sure why we didn’t.

JB gets the math which is a definite plus in his column. Unlike other coaches who don’t get it.
However the rules have changed over the years.
We used to have a 45 second shot clock till 1993 it became 35 then in 2017 it became 30 seconds.

Now if you get an offensive rebound the shot clock doesn’t reset to 35 it resets to 20.

Stallball makes sense when you are the underdog but when you have the better team it’s just use clock and then get a good shot.

The game has evolved over the years with the shot clock.
When it eventually goes to 24 like the NBA stallball will really go from a Final 5 minutes thing to final 2 or 3 minutes thing.

1 possession with an offensive rebound used to take atleast 1 minute off the clock now it’s 50 seconds.
The game is getting more possessions which is good.

Pittsburgh 2008. Paul Harris singlehandedly blew it and it may have cost us a tourney berth.

Donte Greene.

He's the one who made the terrible inbounds pass.

Harris got massacred after catching the ball, not sure what else he was supposed to do.

Donte Greene.

He's the one who made the terrible inbounds pass.

Harris got massacred after catching the ball, not sure what else he was supposed to do.

My mind was foggy on that one, but you're probably right. I believe we had a 15 point lead with about 7 minutes to go.

Back in the days there were many games we had a substantial lead on and more often than not the scores always tighten to just a few points because the opponents would foul us and our elite talents could never shoot FTs, our entire front line would be like 58% and missing all the front ends of 1 on 1s. So yes while JB may be slowing the game down the other side stopped the clock in every possession.

The last game against Va Tech we were up 8 with 3:50 left. I fully expected the slow down to start on that possession. Buddy launched a three 7 seconds into the shot clock.

It can be frustrating to take the air out of the ball but in that instance I wasn‘t sure why we didn’t.
It was uncanny, the coaches son, then calm veteran HoWash, then I think Eli, all inside of the 4 min mark launched early 3s, and they all missed.

You know that’s not what JB wanted.

I’ve only seen this strategy backfire once I think.

Unfortunately it was in the sweet 16 with one of the best SU teams I’ve ever seen in my life.

as mentioned in a previous post in this thread, he didn't follow his own rule. He went into the stall with 4:00 left and only a 4 pt. lead. Needed an 8 point lead there.

I just checked the play by play of the second half of that game and I have lost the will to live.
One of my friends got so drunk during that game that the ushers made us start carrying him out while the end of game meltdown was in progress. Literally had to carry him all the way to Oakland St myself (and I'm not a big guy). Just a bad day all around.

One of my friends got so drunk during that game that the ushers made us start carrying him out while the end of game meltdown was in progress. Literally had to carry him all the way to Oakland St myself (and I'm not a big guy). Just a bad day all around.

I worked overnight the night before, forgot there was a game and slept right through it.

I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

Look at that graph again. See all those names to the right of JB? They’ve all coached in more 5 point games than JB.

That graph has JB at about 112 career 5 point games since 2002

You should check out his OT record also. It’s stellar as well. They mentioned it the other night. It’s like 66%.

He does play more close games than many...but he wins at a great clip.

I believe that the understanding and learning curve of our Coach Boeheim’s end of game strategy, implementation and execution underwent extraordinary trial by fire earlier in his career when our team free throw shooting percentages seemed to be among some of the worst numbers in all of division one men’s basketball for what seemed like 15 or 20 years.

During the 1980’s, and before the advent of the collegiate 3 point line I would normally not feel comfortable with any lead we had until we were up by at 10 points with under 2 minutes to go. Unfortunately, even that faith was severely challenged when somewhere in the early 1980’s Rollie Massimino and the Villanova Wildcats overcame a 9 point lead with 51 seconds remaining against SU to beat us in a game which we should have won more than handily as heavy favorites even on the road. Our team on a nearly every game basis was at least 10 points better than our competition on any given night for several years. That of course was a necessity because of our atrocious free throw shooting as a team which could easily cost us 10 points over the last few minutes on any given night and cost us a head scratching loss out of nowhere from time to time.

With bruises to our (his) psyche burned into our memory like that, it is no wonder that after the first 25 years of experience that our coach, in order to continue to master the craft that he has maintained for so long, would become so adept at end game management that he should be able to master anything after some of those shock therapy dumpster fire losses we suffered earlier in the years which would have destroyed the mettle of lesser men than our Coach Boeheim.

Never truer words were spoken than when my dad told me over 50 years ago that good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgment. With Orange Nation fans hanging on his every move and with his battle tested assistants available to remind him during any game, it is no wonder that his memory is still fresh in how to avoid disaster and win so often. Now... if we could just turn back the clock and win a few more recruiting battles again so that our only concern might only be free throw shooting once again! :)

As a staunch defender of the delay game, today’s implementation with about 8:30 left in the game even stretched my support. That was not ideal.
I think it had more to do with Sidibe being in foul trouble our defensive wasn't as good.

That and only Buddy and Marek were really scoring.

But without a few great plays by Marek going down the stretch the outcome could have been different.

I like the fact that JB went big again going down the stretch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom